Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 3 on Snow Leopard

Safari 3 on Snow Leopard
SpiceLMF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2009, 01:36 PM

Is there a way to run Safari 3 (specifically 3.2.1) on snow leopard? I know there were work arounds and stand alone versions on Leopard but I can't seem to find anything on 10.6. I'm trying to get to the bottom with a problem a user is having on a site I work on but I’m all up to date on Safari 4

I tried using the stand alone from here:
http://www.dweebd.com/mac-os/run-saf...side-safari-4/
But had no luck with it.

Any ideas are appreciated?

ibook_steve
Sep 8, 2009, 05:03 PM

Maybe letting us know what exactly the problem is would be a better course of action. What is the user trying to do and what is not working correctly that does seem to work correctly for you in 10.6?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

gryphontech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2009, 05:59 PM

I understand the 10.6 upgrade installs Safari 4. I have a user with a specific application that does not work with Safari 4. I told him this but he didn't realize upgrading to 10.6 would also upgrade the browser. (yeah. I know. user error.)

Is it possible to revert to safari 3 on a 10.6 system and how if yes?

Many Thanks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2009, 06:41 PM

What does "no luck" mean?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2009, 07:13 PM

What is this "specific application"?

SpiceLMF  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What does "no luck" mean?
Apologies, I should have elaborated

the "no luck" I'm having running the Standalone of Safari 3.2.1 is I go to open the standalone and I get a message that says "You can't use this version of the application Safari 3.2.1 with this version of Mac OS X. You have Safari 3.2.1 3.2.1" Not sure what's up with the last sentence there, as I have Safari 4.0.3 but alas, I can't open the 3.2.1 standalone

It seems it may be impossible to run it on Snow Leopard but figured I'd ask if anyone knew a way.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2009, 10:19 AM

Try using the Safari 3.2.3 user agent. Basically this fools websites into thinking that the browser is 3.2.3 even if it's 4. To get it to show up go to Safari's preferences and click on "Advanced."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Try using the Safari 3.2.3 user agent. Basically this fools websites into thinking that the browser is 3.2.3 even if it's 4. To get it to show up go to Safari's preferences and click on "Advanced."
That would only make a difference if he were sniffing, which I think he'd know about.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

barnabygunning
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2009, 05:13 AM

If you go to the Safari 3.2.1 application and left click, select "Show Package Contents", navigate to Contents:MacOS: , you will find a UNIX executable called TrueSafari. Double Click this and it will launch terminal, which will run Safari 3.2.1 without checking your OS version.

It is very slow to start up but seems to run ok and works with old pulg-ins that won't run on Safari under snow leopard.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 04:42 AM

I doubt that's what he wants, since it would launch using the SL version of WebKit, and so have the same rendering as Safari 4. Unless you bundle the app with all of the frameworks it needs, at the versions it needs, it doesn't really matter if you can run the app. Do you have access to a Leopard install, or have a partition? You can dynamically partition your HD on an Intel machine. Install Leopard onto that and you can run Safari 3, as it ought to be the default.

Forum Links
Forum Rules