Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Please help me solve a very odd bug

Please help me solve a very odd bug
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2012, 10:06 AM

Hello,

I've got a very odd bug in my install of Lion - it's not in every copy of Lion, just mine it seems.

Here's what happens: certain kinds of window - e.g. the OCR utility panel in DEVONthink Pro Office or the Activity panel in Mail.app remain on-screen when the app is hidden.

There is one exception - if the app in question is hidden by using the 'hide appName' menu item in the app menu (or it's Command-H keyboard shortcut.)

See a demo here: Lion utility window odd behaviour - YouTube

Can anyone think of a way that I can diagnose this bug, or better yet eradicate it?

Any help appreciated.

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2012, 05:07 AM

After some more investigation I have discovered that the bug only affects instances of NSPanel which have their 'hide on deactivated' attribute disabled.

Can anyone think of a way that I can reset WindowServer to the state it should be in just after a fresh install? I.e. does it keep some data/preferences somewhere on the filesystem that I can trash?

Forum Links
Forum Rules