Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Device compatibility: 10.8 vs. 10.7 (any trouble?)

Device compatibility: 10.8 vs. 10.7 (any trouble?)
HamSandwich
Jul 19, 2012, 12:38 PM

Hello!

It's a bit early to ask probably, but I hoped the answer was easy: Should I be any worried about device compatibility switching from Lion to Mountain Lion? I have several devices which are all Lion-compatible (there is even a compatibility listing on the manufacturer's websites), but I wonder about Mountain Lion, though. I suppose it's going to take some time until release notes for devices are released, hmm.

These devices:
- HP Officejet J4580 All-in-one - (scanning and printing)
- Brother HL-2030 (printer)
- Epson Perfection 1240U - (scanner, scans slides, too)
- Sony CyberShot DSC-P100 - (digital camera, any issues here at all?)

Perhaps someone knows...
Pete

OreoCookie
Jul 19, 2012, 09:42 PM

Something tells me you've been in the Windows world too long: don't worry, it will just work.
(1) Digital cameras don't need drivers, they communicate using a standardized protocol.
(2) There were only 1-2 critical points in driver support on OS X: (i) going from PowerPC to Intel cpus -- that was 6 years ago, and (ii) going from 32 to 64 bit which is only important for things that need kernel extensions (i. e. things that don't concern printers and scanners) -- and that happened with 10.6~10.7.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

HamSandwich
Jul 20, 2012, 11:19 AM

Hey,
sound like a good answer, let's hope then...

There is something else, just adding to the debate:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669?viewlocale=en_US

That is the latest support document I found covering many scanners and printers and their Lion compatibility. I wonder when that is going to be renewed, hopefully with the actual release.

Well, thanks already!
Pete

Edit: As an afternote, Apple now actually links to the support article above: http://www.apple.com/support/osx/printingscanning/
That should mean that they agree with OreoCookie... Let's have our fingers crossed (and hope they did think about this for more than a minute).

Forum Links
Forum Rules