Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Setting up Time Machine with Airport Extreme

Setting up Time Machine with Airport Extreme
NDBounce
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 03:24 PM

I am in need of detailed instructions as to how to properly set up Time Machine with an Airport Disk.

I have a 320GB FW/USB disk (Hard Drive) connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). I just bought the AEBS today. I have been using Time Machine to back up my MacBook Pro (MBP) to my Hard Drive for about a month.

When I connect my Hard Drive to the AEBS, Time Machine is willing to attempt a backup. However, it attempts to copy all 80GB of data on my MBP to the Hard Drive (as opposed to the incremental data).

I know that moving this much data over 802.11n will take a while. I want it simply to pick up where I left off with my firewire backups. How do I do this?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2008, 10:24 PM

As far as I know, that's how it works; your old backups are useless/inacessable over the network. The new backup is stored inside a disk image, which is mounted over the network, instead of just in the HFS+ volume on the external drive.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2008, 11:05 PM

Mduell is right. You would start from scratch.

-t

Cold Warrior
Apr 6, 2008, 11:06 AM

Connect via ethernet for the first backup, or let it sit overnight backing up over wifi. Then you'll get incremental backups after that.

tridentinecanon
Apr 6, 2008, 12:28 PM

Ahh yes, I've experienced this "shortcoming" of Time Machine as well.

I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend a great piece of third-party software: SuperDuper! In the event that your hard drive were to experience an antimatter overload, SuperDuper! would have turned your Time Machine backup into a bootable volume on your so that you could boot from that drive and have access to all of your TM backups.

I think this feature should be built into TM, but I understand the sense in the simplicity of the software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules