Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Getting UI Text to display better on MacPro 2010 with Benq PD3200U 4K Monitor

Getting UI Text to display better on MacPro 2010 with Benq PD3200U 4K Monitor
Anto39x
Mar 19, 2019, 01:12 PM

Hi there.

I received delivery of my Benq PD3200U 4K monitor today and I adore it... the size and sharpness and colour accuracy right out of the box is just a joy to behold. Only problem is... in the 4K I can really see UI menus in certain apps as they are just so small and the software doesn't allow any major UI adjustments.

Is there any way around this... I don't really want to drop down in resolution... as the 4K viewing experience is superb... and I have tried lower resolutions and the menu titles look fuzzy and artefacts are showing.

I have a MacPro 12Core (Mid 2010)running macOS Mojave with 64GB RAM plus a new Radeon Sapphire RX580 Pulse 7GB video card.

Any suggestions...?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2019, 01:50 PM

Retina resolutions.

Sys Prefs -> Displays -> Display (tab) -> option-click on the (*) Scaled radio button.

Retina resolutions will appear. The ones that do not say "low resolution" beside them.

Anto39x  (op)
Mar 19, 2019, 02:26 PM

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU Reader50.... I'm now on 3360px x 1890px and everything is looking much better for sure...

Thank you very much for that advice.... very much appreciated.

Anto39x  (op)
Mar 19, 2019, 02:42 PM

Will the performance be slower now that scaling is active... while before it was set at it's native resolution... will I see lag..?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2019, 06:11 PM

Retina adds a small increase in GPU load, negligible added CPU load.

I'm driving 2x 4K BenQ displays with a Radeon HD 7970. GPU fans ramp up during screen savers, games, a few other instances. An RX 580 will handle a single Retina 4K display far easier than my old card.

So you might hear more fan noise (but probably won't outside of games). No impact on performance otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules