Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If Japan wins the World Cup, will there be an anime of it?

If Japan wins the World Cup, will there be an anime of it?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 01:07 AM

And if the US wins the World Cup, will beer companies honor and credit the team as much as they deserve?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2011, 06:17 AM

Odds are: too late, there already is, and no.

There seems to be an anime rule similar to Rule 37; the Japanese (and to a less extent Americans too) will create an anime of just about anything, and once they know about something new, they'll make an anime about that, too.

It is truly ironic that the American Women's Soccer team isn't getting the press coverage it deserves, considering how women's international soccer rose to the popularity it did after the American team's rather stunning performance a few short years ago. I guess our sports news just doesn't see anything to report if Mia isn't pulling her top off...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 06:52 AM

You guys just don't seem to appreciate soccer. Too fond of your big scores is all I can think. Which leads me to a question for american sports fans:

Do you find it more entertaining to see a game which goes right down to the wire and ends 95-94 with a last-gasp winning shot, or an absolute thrashing say 110-50?
Assume for the purposes of this question that neither team involved is your team, you are neutral. I have used basketball-esque scores for my example, feel free to adjust them accordingly for whatever other sports you like if it affects your answers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 08:05 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2011, 09:00 AM

I can't wait for the montage of American attacks on goal and the Japanese goalkeeper suddenly bursting with tentacles that block all those would-be goals.

-Q-
Jul 14, 2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It is truly ironic that the American Women's Soccer team isn't getting the press coverage it deserves, considering how women's international soccer rose to the popularity it did after the American team's rather stunning performance a few short years ago. I guess our sports news just doesn't see anything to report if Mia isn't pulling her top off...
What coverage are you watching? I can't avoid hearing about this team...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You guys just don't seem to appreciate soccer. Too fond of your big scores is all I can think. Which leads me to a question for american sports fans:

Do you find it more entertaining to see a game which goes right down to the wire and ends 95-94 with a last-gasp winning shot, or an absolute thrashing say 110-50?
The 95-94 one would be more entertaining.

For me, the issue is not "big scores," but the ratio of scoring to legitimate scoring chances. I find soccer mostly boring to watch because it seems like there are very few legitimate scoring chances, unless the defense is atrocious. In contrast, another generally low-scoring game, ice hockey, is one of my favorite sports. The low scoring is not an issue to me because there are tons of legitimate scoring chances (post lockout, at least), making it that much more dramatic.

On the other side of the spectrum would be basketball, which I find mostly boring at the NBA level at least. Lots of scoring chances, which is good, but too many of them are successful, which is bad.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 12:07 PM

Its rare you get a soccer game without at least a few chances. They do happen sometimes but I find that there are more exciting 0-0 draws than really dull ones. I do think a 0-0 result tends to make you think a match was duller than it actually was in many cases. As long as there are some chances going close you can usually get some tension and excitement for the last few minutes.
The old answer is the best in this case though. Those dull matches just make it all that much better when you get a really good one.

I think if you watch a few good matches to get yourself started, you are probably more likely to stay interested. The 2005 champions league final is probably my favourite game of all time. Cracking stuff.

I agree that basketball is often pretty dull to watch though. I find even when you get a close run game all the way through which is won or lost by a point it makes me think the first three quarters weren't worth bothering to play.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2011, 12:19 PM

I like soccer, but I'm not entirely fond of shootouts to close games. I suppose this reveals I'm not a true soccer fan, as I imagine the drama of the battle between the player and the goalkeeper is the allure, but I find it about as satisfying a way to end a game as if they had free-throw shootouts in the NBA.

OreoCookie
Jul 14, 2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
For me, the issue is not "big scores," but the ratio of scoring to legitimate scoring chances. I find soccer mostly boring to watch because it seems like there are very few legitimate scoring chances, unless the defense is atrocious. In contrast, another generally low-scoring game, ice hockey, is one of my favorite sports.
I think the reason for that may be that you haven't played it when you were a kid (or even an adult): it's a lot of fun. If you know how to play a little, you learn to appreciate the game much more.

I have similar feelings about baseball: utterly boring to watch (live or on TV doesn't matter, on the TV, I can at least change the channel), but it's quite fun to play.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think the reason for that may be that you haven't played it when you were a kid (or even an adult): it's a lot of fun. If you know how to play a little, you learn to appreciate the game much more.

I have similar feelings about baseball: utterly boring to watch (live or on TV doesn't matter, on the TV, I can at least change the channel), but it's quite fun to play.
I'm sure that's part of it. I've played pick-up soccer occasionally, but not in any organized way.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 02:29 PM

If you mean the MLS shoot-outs, yes those are odd. No one else does that, we just have draws.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 14, 2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If you mean the MLS shoot-outs, yes those are odd. No one else does that, we just have draws.
You can't have draws in the later rounds of World Cup.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You can't have draws in the later rounds of World Cup.
Oh you mean the (proper) penalty shoot outs?
They are a harsh mistress (especially if you're english) but a real test of nerve and incredibly tense and exciting if you're invested.

Luckily my club side are much better at them than my national side or I might hate them too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 15, 2011, 02:42 AM

Is someone trying to logic me into liking a sport?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Is someone trying to logic me into liking a sport?

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Watch it! I'm a HUGE Curling Fan. It's very strategically oriented. It's not about, "just the stones".

p.s. The US is going to defeat Japan handily.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Watch it! I'm a HUGE Curling Fan. It's very strategically oriented. It's not about, "just the stones".

p.s. The US is going to defeat Japan handily.
I did actually enjoy it during the last Olympics. It was also apparently a big hit with parts of Wall Street due to its ubiquitous presence on CNBC: On Wall Street, a Romance With the Curling Stone - NYTimes.com

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2011, 07:17 PM

I suspect it is a bit of an adversity of the average USian toward their international competitions, vs their domestic games.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2011, 05:32 PM

What a great final.
Bring on the tentacles!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
+1 Curling is seriously underrated. I don't watch it much, as it's not on tv much, but when I do watch it I can't look away. Tense, strategic stuff. Women's curling, in particular, can be quite the thing to watch... if'n you know what I mean.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2011, 09:08 PM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 02:16 PM

I can't wait for the hentai version.

It's sad though, my girl called me from Japan just to let me know that her country kicked my country's ass.
I didn't even know about the game.

But I much prefer curling as well. <= seriously.
That, or competitive full-contact scuba diving with heavily armed sharks.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
But I much prefer curling as well. <= seriously.
That, or competitive full-contact scuba diving with heavily armed sharks.
I hate the sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads, though. They're worse than the DH in baseball.

Forum Links
Forum Rules