Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > input attribute "incremental"?

input attribute "incremental"?
himself
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 01:18 PM

I've been using the X/HTML input type "search" (<input type="search" />) on a number of web sites, but I recently discovered an Apple extension to this input type called "incremental" (a short description is on this page). Nowhere can I find info on exactly how this attribute should be applied, or what values it accepts. Anyone here know how it works?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2006, 05:11 PM

It's not a standard attribute. By that very nature, it shouldn't be used... Search isn't a valid input type either. This will likely only work in Safari, and possibly only on Apple sites... ( The type and attribute are being processed by a script somewhere to accomplish something.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

himself  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
It's not a standard attribute. By that very nature, it shouldn't be used... Search isn't a valid input type either. This will likely only work in Safari, and possibly only on Apple sites... ( The type and attribute are being processed by a script somewhere to accomplish something.
I understand it isn't a standard attribute, hence it is labeled an apple extension. I'm only interested in finding out how this attributes should be applied.

And yes, the search type may not be standard, but no, it doesn't work only in Safari, and no, it doesn't work only on "Apple sites." It degrades to a standard text input field in browsers that don't support it, and has worked in every browser I've tested in (including lynx).

If you can't help with the question, that's fine... but I didn't ask for a lesson in standards compliance.
-John Crichton

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2006, 11:21 PM

I can't answer the question either but I went to the page you linked and I am more excited about the 'range' type that provides a 'slider'. not that I would use it as its not standard - yet...

I think most web developers mac or not are going to stay away from platform dependent stuff so sorry SirCastor is right.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
I understand it isn't a standard attribute, hence it is labeled an apple extension. I'm only interested in finding out how this attributes should be applied.

And yes, the search type may not be standard, but no, it doesn't work only in Safari, and no, it doesn't work only on "Apple sites." It degrades to a standard text input field in browsers that don't support it, and has worked in every browser I've tested in (including lynx).

If you can't help with the question, that's fine... but I didn't ask for a lesson in standards compliance.
Well a lesson in Standards compliance is what you got.

Here's an answer to your question: Surfin' Safari
( Last edited by SirCastor; Jan 1, 2007 at 05:20 PM. )
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 11:53 PM

I believe the point of these were to facilitate controls in Dashboard widgets, were they not?

Regardless, although I personally would avoid it, himself is right, the search input box degrades rather gracefully.

himself  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Well a lesson in Standards compliance is what you got.

Here's an answer to your question: Surfin' Safari
If you'd read the first post again, you'd see I asked how to apply this attribute, or what value it accepts... I did not ask what this attribute does. Therefore, the link you posted doesn't help.

Besides, there are a few relatively easy ways to apply the "proprietary" attributes only to webkit-based browsers, and maintain that ever so important standards compliance.
-John Crichton

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 04:13 PM

More information as I found it. Sorry for my lack of helpfulness prior-to. Hope this provides something worthwhile...

<input type=”search” /> - Random Genius
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules