Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > CSS Menus - Opera grief & IE testing

CSS Menus - Opera grief & IE testing
mania
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2006, 11:33 PM

Hi all,

I wrote up this tutorial on mostly CSS menus with minimal JavaScript which you can feel free to use in your projects, but I need a little feedback.

Part I looks at using the CSS 'display' property of none vs block to show and hide your sub-menus. This is very suited to vertical web site navigation.

part I

Part II discusses using the CSS 'visibility' properties of hidden vs visible plus using the position and z-index to show and hide more like pop-up menus. This is more suited to a horizontal web site navigation bar with vertical pop-ups, but is more complicated to be sure.

part II

Both versions need a wee bit of JavaScript to make them work and they both work well in FF and Safari but would someone with IE 6 and or 7 mind taking a look?

Unfortunately Opera is able to handle part I fine but chokes on part II. Does anyone know why?

Could I pare down my JS or CSS any further? the goal was to make it super simple, work in all modern browsers, keep JS to a minimum and validate both CSS and HTML.

Happy New Years web brothas and sistas.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

mania  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 01:08 AM

Okay all should be working for FF, IE, Opera and Safari.

Still would like some feedback on if this is any good or not.
( Last edited by mania; Jan 1, 2007 at 04:56 PM. )
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules