Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Getting Spam in FormMail

Getting Spam in FormMail
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 02:49 PM

I have a CGI form on a Bluehost account (it's Form mail, but they call it "BlueMail). The form works great but lately I've been getting spam responses (they all seem to be from the same spammer).

Any recommendations for a simple way to block spambots from running my form? The CGI is all handled by my host, so I really don't want to edit it or add a captura field or anything.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 07:33 PM

you could add a field that says: enter this code: Xy67u and then make that field required that they enter Xy67u. spambots wont figure it out.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 10:56 AM

Yeah, a Captcha would be a good solution.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

KeyLimePi  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 02:05 PM

I like that idea, mania. I wish I knew how to make a field require certain text. I only know how to make it require some text. Like I said, I don't want to set up a captcha or anything because the CGI is controlled by my host, so I was sort of looking for a 'lazy' option.

FYI, I did move the form to a different directory, and update all the links that point to it. So far I haven't received any spam from the form, so I guess the bots that were pinging it haven't found it yet. I'll see how long it takes them to.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 02:16 PM

There are several other techniques:

1) Limit the number of characters spammers put in the address field

2) Limit the number of characters in the form itself (spammers often use the ASCII backspace character to rewrite the headers of email messages)

3) Various email address checks (e.g. limit the number of max recipients, make sure that the domain is provided and something other than your local domain)

I have a lot of forms on my sites that I've protected this way. I'd try these basic suggestiosn before getting into a captcha.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2007, 05:28 PM

If you can use PHP, try this script instead of formmail. You don't need the database part.

Edit: The server appears to have vanished...if you need the script, PM me and I can send it to you.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules