Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone living in Austin, TX?

Anyone living in Austin, TX?
milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2009, 10:43 PM

Hi everyone.

I would like to go back to school, as well as to try living somewhere other than the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic where I've lived all my life. 27, born, raised, and educated in Pennsylvania, working in IT with a CCNA in NYC and living in Brooklyn. I've lost heart in the profession, and after 2 years of living up here, just don't think it's the right place for me.

My criteria for moving is:

* low cost of living (don't need a large space, a studio would be fine)
* decent job market (I'd probably be working in some capacity while in school)
* great university (UT seems amazing, and I want to go back and retool)
* satisfactory public transportation (live near UT, and bike/walk to class, grocery stores, drug store, etc.)
* could get by without a car (don't have one now, and don't really want one)

Let me know what you think and if anyone else has other ideas that fit this criteria. If you're in Austin, also let me know if you're a native or have moved there. If you went to UT, your insights would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

milhous
F = ma

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2009, 07:46 AM

I don't live in Austin because I can't afford a house there. When the Silicon Valley folks moved to Austin, they brought their "San Jose housing price" attitudes with them and borked the cost of housing. So I'd go with an apartment if I could, just as you're thinking of. I lived there through most of the 1980s though, and the parts I loved about the city are all still there.

UT Austin (most just call it UT) is a fantastic school. If you're going as a "returning student," be aware that ALL of the problems with a large school are there, in abundance. There's a very strong Greek community there, and they used to be quite the problem-pranks on non-students included pouring soapy water on the street at the top of a hill near campus to allow the frat boys to watch the hijinks as cars went spinning out of control... On the other hand, the University has some of the more well respected schools in the country, so you can get into a top tier school along with the opportunity to get into one of the nicest cities in the country.

When I lived in Austin it was pretty common to see leased BMWs being driven around by New York resident students-UT tuition for out of state residents was at that time MUCH less than New York IN state resident school tuitions, and well to do daddies could buy a condo and lease a car, send the kid to school there and after 4 years make a profit selling the condo-an OVERALL profit. The only down side was that The Law School tended to generate attorneys that liked Austin so much they stayed there and the city wound up with WAY too many attorneys (many of whom, alas, became "lawyers").

Austin is FRIENDLY for the most part. Not just "friendly," but really open and welcoming, especially around campus and in the club/bar areas downtown. There are "not so nice" parts of town, sure, but they are not an obstacle to living there, nor a problem for most anyone. It's a beautiful city with beautiful country all around it, and if you can find housing you're set.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2009, 12:53 PM

I can't speak for UT out of personal experience, but every trip I've made to Austin has been fantastic. As ghporter already mentioned, it's a friendly, open city with tons to do. The artistic/creative crowd seems to really be drawn to the city as well. You'll feel that vibe in many parts of town.

I freakin' love Austin.

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2009, 01:08 PM

I went to UT as a grad student, so I was basically trapped in the basement doing research the whole time, but the University as a whole is very vibrant and active (at least compared to my undergraduate). It is definitely a football school. Expect burnt orange and flip-flops.

You can live close to campus for relatively cheap. I had a studio apt on 42nd and speedway for $400/month. I was 1/2 a block from the bus-stop if i wasn't riding my bike (10 minute trip). It was also 3 blocks from a local supermarket (FreshPlus) and coffee shop, so I always just walked over and picked up what I wanted to eat that night.

With a UT student ID, you get to ride all CapMetro busses for free and the bus system is surprisingly good (lots of parallel N-S routes)

milhous  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 08:32 PM

Great feedback, I can't wait to see Austin for myself. Thanks everyone!
F = ma

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 30, 2009, 10:55 AM

I just finished up at UT for my undergrad degree and I loved the university and Austin in general. Depending on what part of the city you end up in, housing costs can vary greatly....

Forum Links
Forum Rules