Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Seeking advice on London

Seeking advice on London
Paco500
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 10:53 PM

I'm going to London in a few days for a 6 week work assignment and have some questions for those who live there or know the city.

1) What is the weather generally like? Do I need a heavy coat?
2) What are good things to do on weekends- cool day trips, hopefully by train/bus- I will not have a car unless I rent it myself, and I'm cheap.
3) Anything or area I should avoid?
4) What's one thing I really need to see/do that's not on the typical tourist circuit?

Any other advice you care to offer will be appreciated.

Cowwie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2006, 11:00 PM

What part of London are you going to be in?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Today it's been warm and dry. Yesterday it was cold and wet. Bring a heavy coat and a light coat.

Ummm... ...yes. London.

Any other advice you care to offer will be appreciated.
Yep. Start practising your Canadian accent. Americans are subject to a lot of abuse at the moment so things will go a lot smoother if you just end everything you say with "eh?".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm

Just stay alert and watch yourself really - same as with any big city.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

willed
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 04:59 AM

The weather depends on the time of year, but I'd bring an umbrella just in case whenever you're going to turn up. In the summer it's never goign to be cold, but it can be wet.

As for weekend trips, you have to remember that the UK is very small compared to America, so you can take in many of the sites all over the UK quite easily. Oxford and Cambridge are about an hour or so away by train/bus. If you're going to Oxford, take the Oxford Tube. This is a bus which goes from several places in London including Victoria Coach Station and Marble Arch. It leaves every 12 minutes during the day, and even all through the night it goes, at worst, once an hour (for those drunken students getting home). Best of all, it only costs around £10 return and you don't have to book.

There's loads to see and do in London, and many of the galleries and museums are free - make the most of it, and enjoy!

christ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 05:01 AM

I'm going to London in a few days for a 6 week work assignment and have some questions for those who live there or know the city.

2) What are good things to do on weekends- cool day trips, hopefully by train/bus- I will not have a car unless I rent it myself, and I'm cheap.
4) What's one thing I really need to see/do that's not on the typical tourist circuit?
If you restrict yourself to London, then you will be inside most of the time. A light coat should suffice. The weather will be unpredictable though.

Trains are much better than in the US, so you can go most places by train. Just about anywhere in the UK can be visited over a weekend by train. Stuff (including train tickets) ain't cheap though.

Avoid the same things that you would in DC - dark alleys, late night tube etc. Also avoid overexposure to the local beers until you have had time to acclimatise - they can be wicked potent if you aren't used to them (and often even when you are)

I recommend a trip to the south coast to see Portsmouth (1.5 hours from London by train) - lots of Naval history, including Nelson's flagship from Trafalgar.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 05:40 AM

Check out www.megabus.com and www.nationalexpress.com for cheap fares to other UK cities. Trains are much more expensive unless you book in advance. Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh are worth visiting. Cambridge too of course, but this is just a daytrip (1 hour by train or 2 hours by bus). Also, other European cities are just a short flight away (www.whichbudget.com to find which airlines fly to where) and fares can be really cheap (£30 round trip to Barcelona or Amsterdam).

I think for the summer you would need an umbrella and a light jacket. Weather can be variable. And learn to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius .

Kevin
Baninated
May 10, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Wow, such ignorance.

They sure showed her who was on higher moral ground didn't they.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 07:13 AM

don't worry about people being anti-American - anyone who is as bigoted enough to condemn an entire nation is a c*nt. And rude - people shouldn't go up to visitors to our country and be rude to them. Then again we are the worst tourists in the world ourselves:
Britons have been labelled the world's worst holidaymakers in a survey of tourist boards around the globe.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm

the original article does say
But she adds that she has a close group of girlfriends from the US, many of whom say they have not had similar experiences.
so we're not all c*nts.

take a mix of clothes - uk weather can be topsy turvy.

be carefull when getting money out of holes in walls (atms) - watch out for pinhole cameras or fake fronts - don't put your wallet in your back pocket etc etc - we're not a nation of thieves btw - just be aware of your surroundings.

we can be extremely sarcastic

go to soho, camden town - find any ancient remains you want to see, go see them - castles and so forth - you'll be here for the world cup - watch the england fans go mental

loads of museums and so on...

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 07:16 AM

you can download a tube map here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/maps/

as you can see, London is pretty covered

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
don't worry about people being anti-American - anyone who is as bigoted enough to condemn an entire nation is a c*nt. And rude - people shouldn't go up to visitors to our country and be rude to them. Then again we are the worst tourists in the world ourselves:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm

the original article does say

so we're not all c*nts.
Only about 95% of us.

Just sayin' - it can happen, so be prepared.

take a mix of clothes - uk weather can be topsy turvy.
Absolutely.
Paco, ignore the folks up there saying it won't be cold in Summer - they're forgetting about the temperature difference between places and making a stand-alone statement. I had a girl from Oz come over a couple of Summers back and she constantly whined about how cold it was - because compared to where she'd come from it was cold (I was walking around in just a shirt, she needed a coat). Bring a mix of clothes, as Moody says.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

London is a great city, I loved living there.

A word to the wise:
Pub brawls can and do happen frequently, especially on a Friday night.
Rich and poor live in close proximity. One moment you're ok, the next you're in a neighbourhood where I would advice caution. And example is Notting Hill and Shepherds Bush.
Areas to avoid after dark, at least until you know how to dress and how to behave:

Hackney
Brixton
Bermonddsey
Elephant and Castle

Here you'll be ok:
Islington (good pubs and bars on Upper Street.)
Camden
Holland Park
Soho

None of the above is intended to scare you. London is a safe city, but there's little point in pushing your luck. I lived there for 17 years, and apart from a couple of car break ins I never experienced any mishap.

Naplander
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 09:53 AM

A few suggestions for you:

If you're coming soon there is a Pixar exhibition at the Science Museum.

Have a walk along the south bank of the Thames, by the Tate on a nice summers day.

Check out the pubs and bars in Shoreditch / Clerkenwell area (old st / farringdon tube)

Go for a swim at the ponds in Hampstead Heath.

A good day out would be to go to Henley-on-Thames which is a short trip from London

Touristy places to avoid: Leicester Square, Oxford Street and Covent Garden

Another good trip would be to somewhere like Cirencester or Bath.

Enjoy

Monique
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 10:39 AM

Wow those are great suggestions.

Do not bring a heavy coat; too much luggage, bring a sweater and a light coat. Unless you get cold easily then just a heavy coat.

London, Europe, museums, museums, museums; at night Shakeaspeare, plays, musicals in the West End.

I envy you, except for the food London is an extraordinary city.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
I envy you, except for the food London is an extraordinary city.
London has fantastic food. It certainly beats Paris for variety and inventiveness.
The old London=bad food stereotype is about 20 years out of date.
Try places like the The River Cafe, 17, Le Gavroche or The Aubergine and be prepared to be blown away.

christ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 11:52 AM

Don't wear plaid shorts
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Naplander
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 11:57 AM

Don't wear any shorts!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Yep. Start practising your Canadian accent. Americans are subject to a lot of abuse at the moment so things will go a lot smoother if you just end everything you say with "eh?".
He's only fooling. Go rent a Suburban with a few W'04 bumper stickers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 12:11 PM

brick lane has lots of indian resturants.

must admit, I've never been to Paris so I can't comment. But there is a huge variety of food in London. Even though I am partial to the odd mackie D's or pie and chips.

what's with the anti shorts? I wear shorts, nothing wrong with that. Depends which shorts I suppose... mis-read the weather in the morning the other day and wore shorts - it was f*cking cold, and I had to be outside for hours, on a bridge.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 12:45 PM

brick lane has lots of indian resturants.
Some day I'll make it to India and have real Indian food. Man that stuff's good. I love Indian food.

Naplander
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 01:56 PM

London is so multi-cultural you can get food from just about any corner of the globe. Brick Lane is a good call and there is a good bar nearby (Vibe Bar) and Club (93 Feet East).

About the shorts, it just cracks me up at this time of year when the pearly white pegs make their debut!!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 03:28 PM

Get an Oyster Card to pay for tube and bus fares. You need to put down a £3 deposit and it can be used to store season tickets and a prepay balance. Also when using prepay the amount you pay will be capped after you reach a certain level (i.e. travel on the tube for 10 journeys a day will cost the same as 5 journeys-its good for infrequent travel at the weekends)

Used as a prepay card it works out a lot cheaper and easier than using tickets bought at the time of travel. Lots of buses now also don't take money.

No registration is required.

More info....

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...er/general.asp
David.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 03:51 PM

second the oyster card (at first I didn't like it for various reasons, but in practice it's fine)

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 04:08 PM

This is awesome advice- I love this forum sometimes. Thanks everyone.

Any advice on getting a rental mobile phone? I use Sprint here, and I would guess coverage is spotty and expensive.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 04:21 PM

This is awesome advice- I love this forum sometimes. Thanks everyone.

Any advice on getting a rental mobile phone? I use Sprint here, and I would guess coverage is spotty and expensive.
Switch to a GSM carrier, get the phone unlocked, then you can buy prepaid SIMs that are a hell of a lot cheaper than renting a cell phone.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 04:24 PM

Mobiles are available from under £30 on Prepay deals. As long as you don't want flash features... or if you have an unlocked GSM phone you can just buy a sim card.
David.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DavidHossack
Mobiles are available from under £30 on Prepay deals. As long as you don't want flash features... or if you have an unlocked GSM phone you can just buy a sim card.
But if you're going to live in Europe, you might as well get a GSM phone anyway.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 05:01 PM

I have another year on my sprint contact and I'm only going to be there 7 weeks. Prepay seems the way to go.

Thanks.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 06:11 PM

Prepaid cards are really cheap, you can get Orange's for £1 and load it whenever you need too. GSM phones are cheap as well if you're looking for something basic and there are many many mobile phone stores in London.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Here you'll be ok:
Islington (good pubs and bars on Upper Street.)
Camden
Holland Park
Soho
Camden is pretty sketchy in a lot of places, and Soho is just seedy.

philm
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 06:37 PM

Don't get too concerned about rain, BTW. The rain in London is quite a bit less than that in Virginia. Also, according to the same site, London's mean average temperature is 4F lower than that in Virginia which is not particularly significant. Don't bring a coat if you are coming in the summer. Personally, I won't probably need a coat now until September, but I'm a hard Geordie, me.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by philm
Don't get too concerned about rain, BTW. The rain in London is quite a bit less than that in Virginia. Also, according to the same site, London's mean average temperature is 4F lower than that in Virginia which is not particularly significant. Don't bring a coat if you are coming in the summer. Personally, I won't probably need a coat now until September, but I'm a hard Geordie, me.
An interesting site. Having lived in the UK (Buckinghamshire and Suffolk) and in Virginia, I'm not sure I quite agree that the climates are that similar. It rains a lot more often in the UK than Virginia (but maybe with more heavy storms in Virginia -- I'm guessing, but I would say that is so), and it is certainly warmer here. The last time I went over to the UK, it was cool for Virginia in August -- around 85 degrees. In Britain, everyone was complaining about the heatwave! Not surprising really, the UK is roughly on the same latitude as Vancouver, while Virginia would be somewhere in India, and is a continental climate with wide swings.

But still I agree that you don't need to dress for the arctic to visit the UK, especially not London which, like most large cities, is warmer than more rural places. And it isn't as though they don't sell umbrellas.

As for Britons being jerks to Americans, I would recommend going to East Anglia. The locals there are noticeably nicer to "Yanks." I think they must miss us now that most of the bases are closed.

Anyhoo, I expect to be on my way to England myself in a month. But I am not going anywhere near London.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 05:55 AM

bias your clothing toward it being hot - 'cause unless the weather gets real freaky, it's gonna be hot.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by philm
Personally, I won't probably need a coat now until September, but I'm a hard Geordie, me.
Big soft Geordie more like... ...most Geordies I know wear a t-shirt all year 'round.

(One geezer I used to know was in t-shirt and jeans all year round, even in -10 C weather. One day, someone noticed he hadn't got socks on. When asked why he hadn't got any on, he answered "well, it's Summer ain't it?". That was about the extent of his wardrobe change. )

bias your clothing toward it being hot - 'cause unless the weather gets British, it's gonna be hot.
Fixed.

Actually, like Moody says, it's shaping up to be quite warm for the next few weeks. But don't count on it being this way in eight weeks' time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules