Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Desktop Screen Saver does not work

Desktop Screen Saver does not work
Ron K
Dec 13, 2015, 02:04 AM

Recently, my Screen Saver stopped working. It no longer displays images at the selected time. In fact it no longer displays images at all. The Desktop photo selection still functions. I have tried re-booting my laptop and changing the selection of images to be displayed but with no success.

I very much appreciate suggestions to help me re-establish this function. I am still running OS 10.9.5. I have not upgraded because each time I do so, I lose one application or another because they are no longer updated. For example, my expensive CAD program is now out of date and will no longer be supported, and my Samsung laser printer, which is in perfect condition is no longer supported; such an expensive waste. Thanks ahead.
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Ron K  (op)
Dec 14, 2015, 06:25 AM

Well, it seems like I am the only person on this forum to encounter this problem, since there are no replies. Fortunately, I discovered the solution in another forum, so the Screen Saver is now working, sort of. However, it still has limited functionality. The new default is the multi photo display with a "Shuffle Side Order" which I did NOT select, and which it is now impossible to de-select. The only option that I am offered is the "Source" and below that "Shuffle Side Order" which is already selected by default. I find it hard to believe that the OS, for whatever reason, has left me with no other options, but I cannot find any way to change the current settings. I would much appreciate if someone would spare me a moments attention to fix this glitch. Thanks ahead.
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

ibook_steve
Dec 14, 2015, 04:35 PM

Which screen saver option on the left have you selected and what happens when you try to click on one of the other screen saver options?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ron K  (op)
Dec 15, 2015, 10:08 AM

THANK YOU, STEVE!

I did not realize those functions were displayed in the margins. I just thought they were photo selections. The world is back in balance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules