Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If you know somebody who is an old folk or are an 'old folk'

If you know somebody who is an old folk or are an 'old folk'
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2017, 06:34 PM

OK. Lesson re-learned. IF you are older than 50, AND you get a tooth extracted on your upper teeth, and it isn't less painful after a day and a half GO TO THE HOSPITAL ASAP.

My dad is 92. His wisdom tooth started to give him pain. He went to good dentist who yanked it. 3 days later my dad had serious infection/puss issues. He checked himself into the Hospital. Had he waited 2 more days he would have died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have issues with ANY tooth on the top side of your teeth(Skull side) seek intense help. This started for him on Wednesday and Friday he want to the hospital. He had surgery Saturday morning from 8am til 2pm. He Just got home today.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2017, 10:00 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I need to get a new toothbrush.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2017, 11:20 PM

yeeowch. Glad he got to the hospital in time, hope he recovers well.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2017, 07:54 AM

He's back home now. Doing better. After the horrible "Hospital food" the first thing he did ws to make a big tuna fish sammy.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2017, 08:56 PM

I'm glad he's being treated and is getting better.

It's all about how the body is divided into compartments. The upper jaw is in the same compartment as the brain. Get an infection in an upper tooth/gum/even the palate, and you could be in serious trouble. Lower jaw? You might just be miserable.

When we're older, we have less resources to fight infections, and they can get going pretty bad. I've had patients who seemed completely "together" become zombies or worse when they got a bladder infection, just because they weren't young and were a bit frail. Others have gone from robust to wimpy for the same reason. So if you add that effect to how close the upper jaw is to the brain, and you can wind up being very sick very quickly, and yes even die.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2017, 12:15 AM

Glad he's okay!

I was somehow foolish enough to assume if you passed 80, you dodged the wisdom tooth bullet.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2017, 11:59 AM

The best thing dad ever did was to quit smoking (cold turkey!) in 1980. Mom never could quit and died of brain and lung cancer in 2010.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2017, 05:41 PM

I must have nagged my Dad to stop quitting for over a decade pretty solidly as a kid. He never did and it got him eventually. From the lungs it got everywhere fast.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2017, 06:49 AM

Jimmy Stewart said on Johnny Carson "that after 50 it's just patch, patch, patch".

Forum Links
Forum Rules