Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sunburn relief?

Sunburn relief?
volcano
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 01:58 AM

I went to Lake Travis today for some water-related fun - and although I did apply a sunscreen, I still managed to burn my back and legs. I was surprised that it happened, because I'm quite tan to begin with. Anyway, I've heard all sorts of "remedies" from mustard to a milk bath. Does anyone have any suggestions? My legs are a lovely shade of tan/pink, and my back has a reddish tint to it - it itches like crazy!

So far, I've applied some Aloe Vera gel to my legs and back (which isn't easy by yourself, mind you), applied some lotion, taken some Tylenol, and I've been drinking lots of water. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 5, 2006, 02:21 AM

The problem is sunburns get worse before they get better. Expect it to peak at 3 days. Aloe vera is your friend. Lots of it.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 06:14 AM

Try to find a product that has aloe vera plus lidocaine in it. I ran across this stuff at a local store where I'm at so not sure where you would get it or find it. I would assume walgreens would have it but not entirely sure.

Seb G
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 06:19 AM

Yoghurt (natural, no flavours of course) is quite good too. Apply, leave it on for 15 minutes, wash off. In case of your back, it's good if someone else can assist you...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon
Try to find a product that has aloe vera plus lidocaine in it. I ran across this stuff at a local store where I'm at so not sure where you would get it or find it. I would assume walgreens would have it but not entirely sure.
Yes, Aloe Vera all the way!!!!! I got my last major sun burn in the summer of 1999, and I was completely miserable until I got an Aloe Vera sun burn relief gel.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 07:51 AM

Aleo Vera is the best solution. And lots of it. Unfortunately there is no magic remedy for sunburns. Perhaps the only other thing that works is spraying cold water on the burned area in between applying Aloe Vera. It relieves the pain for a while.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

andi*pandi
Apr 5, 2006, 08:39 AM

depending on how bad the burn is: steep some regular teabags in hot water, then add ice water. soak washcloths in tea and apply to skin. This is obviously for a burn so bad you don't want to move.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 08:50 AM

Absolutely Aloe! (of course best to get it ASAP after you realized you've self-broiled). Reapply frequently.
Some versions have benzocaine (if you're not allergic) which makes it feel awesomely cool FAST.
Good luck!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 10:15 AM

Watch out for skin cancer as a result.

See your dermatologist.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2006, 11:43 AM

Aloe Vera!!!! The gel inside the leaves is FANTASTIC for soothing sunburns-and any other burn for that matter. Plenty of it around Central Texas, too.

Note that sunscreen is typically only good for about a year before it loses effectiveness. A few years ago, my son and his friend went to a water park here and slathered themselves in sunscreen. It didn't work because the sunscreen was old, and they both wound up beet red-and as they're both blonde, it was pretty bad on them. ALWAYS buy NEW sunscreen every Spring, and dispose of the old stuff, as you can't count on it.

Where abouts on the lake were you? Some spots seem to be easier to get sunburnt at than others (and that doesn't specifically refer to Hippy Hollow, either! ). For example, anywhere you could see The Oasis restaurant from seems to be bad for sunning after noon.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 11:52 AM

They sell some sprays that have some numbing and cooling ingredients. I think Banana boat makes it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 5, 2006, 12:32 PM

If you can find an Aloe Vera is Lidocaine that will offer you maximum relief.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 04:27 PM

Come on he had one sunburn and already he has cancer; give him a break, just be patient and it will go away.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Watch out for skin cancer as a result.

See your dermatologist.
He doesn't need to see a dermatologist for burning in the sun a couple of times. If sunburning would be that dangerous I'd be dead several times over.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 05:15 PM

I got sunburned pretty badly on my back a few years ago. The itch it caused felt like it was deep under the skin, and nothing helped. Aloe, lidocaine, nothing. I lived with it for a couple of days, but couldn't sleep because the itching was so intense. A couple of glasses of wine each night helped dull it enough that I could sleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules