Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery Recall_Apple Powerbook g4

Battery Recall_Apple Powerbook g4
Baburao786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hey...I have a powerbook G4 which had a battery recall on it. I got the new battery and Apple told me that I have to return the intial one. So I am on my way to the post office (united states postal service) and to my suprise I have to pay for postage in order to return my old battery.. I didn't return it..I figured I'll keep it just incase...there is a deadline on returning that though...What a bunch of Horse Crap ....Any of you have had experience with this...Is it even worth returning the old battery...I thought Apple would have had the decency to atleast pay for the postage if they want us to return THEIR OWN defective batteries...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2006, 12:46 PM

I thought they sent you a box with prepaid shipping.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Naplander
Senior User
Oct 4, 2006, 12:58 PM

They do.

Read the instructions that came with your battery.

phazedowt
Oct 4, 2006, 02:08 PM

If you're in the US, postage is definitely prepaid on the return. Mine came with a label to affix back to the same box.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 06:28 PM

According to Apple.com, you do NOT have to pay return shipping. They should have including a return label. Call them up if they did not.

Originally Posted by Apple FAQ
What should I do with the recalled battery?
When you receive the replacement battery, please follow the enclosed instructions and use the same shipping packaging and included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple for proper disposal. You do not have to pay the postage to return the battery.
See Apple - Support - iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 Battery Exchange Program - FAQ
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 07:34 PM

Even more important is that they will charge you for the new battery if you don't return the old one. Don't wait on it!

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan
Even more important is that they will charge you for the new battery if you don't return the old one. Don't wait on it!
Where does it say that? I'm not advocating this avenue...however, I wasn't asked for a credit card or anything.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 07:41 PM

I had a batch of recalled batteries and the drill went like this: I had to send in the bad battery and upon receipt of it, Apple sent out the good one. Or, I had to give a credit card number, Apple would send out a good battery, then Apple would cancel it when I sent in the bad battery.

You milage may vary, but I did a dozen of those.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan
I had a batch of recalled batteries and the drill went like this: I had to send in the bad battery and upon receipt of it, Apple sent out the good one. Or, I had to give a credit card number, Apple would send out a good battery, then Apple would cancel it when I sent in the bad battery.

You milage may vary, but I did a dozen of those.
Maybe in the past or for large batches. But this time, for a single battery, this wasn't the case.

ptkdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2006, 11:44 PM

The previous battery recall for PowerBook and iBook batteries they did not require me to give them a credit card number, and they shipped the new one out with a return label for the old one. This time around it's the same drill, though it has now been over 6 weeks and I still haven't received the replacement. Apple's tech said "give it another week" then promptly hung up on me.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 06:17 PM

Edit: my bad

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 02:15 AM

So bummed, my battery failed me after about a year but it didn't fall into the recall numbers. Had to buy 3rd party battery which im cycling now. good luck with your new battery and yes, i have always heard Apple sending out self paid for boxes for their apple care and replacement programs.
pandas
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Forum Links
Forum Rules