Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Even at lowest volume, iPod is still too loud. Any fix?

Even at lowest volume, iPod is still too loud. Any fix?
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 12:53 AM

So sometimes I like to use my 5.5 gen video iPod to listen to music to help me sleep. I use the included earbuds. The problem is, since at night there is no ambient noise in the room, even if I turn the iPod's volume down as far as it can possibly go, most songs are still much louder than I would like.

I've played with the sound check and volume limiting features, but nothing gives me very fine control over the volume at extremely low levels. Is there any way (through iTunes or the iPod) that I can make the iPod play softer?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Chaoticjoe
Feb 11, 2007, 02:21 AM

I'm surprised it's too loud for you. I don't know if iTunes or the iPod can help, but I would just find a really crappy pair of headphones. should be really cheap. 20 dollars or less.
Hey...

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 11:48 AM

You can lower the song volumes even more in iTunes. In the metadata section there's an option to lower or increase the volume. You must have some amazing hearing. Join the military.

I have inear shure headphones and i still keep it up 1/4th to 1/2th volume.

slpdLoad  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the metadata option and hope that those settings transfer over to the iPod.

The funny thing about the hearing is that when listening normally throughout the day, I usually listen at 1/4 to 1/2 volume, and it's normal. However, at night with no other sounds, and when I'm relaxed and focusing on the music, it's quite "loud". It feels that way at least. I mostly listen to rock and alternative music.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2007, 04:19 PM

try the sound check option in your ipod's options it lowers it sometimes

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2007, 05:14 PM

For some reason this thread kept popping up in my head. So I pulled out my iPod to listen to while writing a paper for school and you are right. The minimum volume is still too loud. And I don't like the "pop" when going from "zero" to the next lowest volume point.

I don't want to adjust all of my music in iTunes.

If I create a new EQ setting in iTunes does it carry over to the iPod? When I am done with my paper I am going to try creating a new EQ setting that has all of the sliders lowered and seeing if that EQ setting transfers to the iPod. That way when I want the volume very low I can just select that EQ setting.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 09:43 AM

EQ settings don't seem to carry over to the iPod from iTunes, or at least I haven't found a way to accomplish this.

Another option that won't require fiddling with the volume adjustment in the music metadata is to get a physical volume limiter (with an analog volume dial) that is plugged in between the iPod and your headphones. Various brands can be found pretty cheap at any electronics store.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 01:45 PM

I use a TEAC table radio with a sleep mode. It can go quiet enough, even more if I put something in front of the speakers. You can buy Sony or other brand ear buds that have a volume control on them. There is also a pillow speaker from Radio shack that you put under your pillow, and it has volume control.

dchadwick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 02:35 PM

Inline analog volume control is a great choice. A quick google search brought me to this nice Shure unit. A bit pricy, but a LOT less work than fiddling with all your songs' metadata:

eisbaer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 06:19 PM

For me the default ipod nano earphones work ok but when I plug in the shure (se310) earphones even the lowest setting is too loud. The analog controller is an option although I don't like the idea of the standard shure cable + the extension cable + the analog controller cable. Mp3's volume can be changed easily with mp3gain. Aacgain for .m4a doesn't seem to work. Just wish there was a tool that can change the volume of .m4a easily

Forum Links
Forum Rules