Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ?

iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ? (Page 4)
Thread Tools
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 06:22 PM
 
It's nice to know that the relationship between the two companies isn't quite as frosty as we have been led to believe by some sources.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
 
I've never thought the relationship was frosty, per se — Adobe as a money-grubbing corporation just doesn't want to have to worry about non-Windows platforms and Apple doesn't want to depend on Adobe.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 02:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Would that even help people with Flash problems on say G4s and G5? Cuz in reality, there is no significant issue for the masses with Flash playback on Intel Macs.

I suppose it would help with ARM though.
Playing Flash content from two sites simultaneously maxes out my machine and makes 'em stutter like hell. Significant.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
 
I hear the iPad won't play Flash videos! Can you believe it?
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
 
I'm not supporting Flash here, but there are some pretty interesting Flash games out there. It would be a waste for them to die because of Apple's stubbornness. I suppose they can be rewritten in HTML5, but who wants to rewrite a whole game because of Apple's stubbornness?

I haven't read all of these posts, but where does Silverlight fit into all of this? With Apple ignoring Flash and MS working with Silverlight, I don't see Flash having a bright future.
( Last edited by starman; Feb 16, 2010 at 04:26 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
 
How about an app that tells you which forum members sleep in the nude?
n+N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'm not supporting Flash here, but there are some pretty interesting Flash games out there. It would be a waste for them to die because of Apple's stubbornness. I supposed they can be rewritten in HTML5, but who wants to rewrite a whole game because of Apple's stubbornness?
To be honest, I think Apple should allow Flash on the iPhone (as well as Python and Java and any other development environment with an ARM target) — but not in Safari, which is where it's most often used. That will do nothing but make the phone's already craptastic battery life take such a nosedive that I can't so much as go out for drinks with my buddies without bringing along a battery back.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I haven't read all of these posts, but where does Silverlight fit into all of this?
Silverlight is DOA. Practically nobody outside of Microsoft uses it, and it's a proprietary multimedia app plugin that's arrived just when people and the industry as a whole are becoming hostile towards proprietary multimedia app plugins. Dolts.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
 
In related news:

Initially, Firefox for N900 does not support browser plug-ins. Due to performance problems using Adobe Flash within Firefox on many websites, especially those with multiple plug-ins on them, we have disabled plugins for Firefox for Maemo 1.0. We plan to provide a browser add-on that will enable you to selectively enable plugins on certain sites, because some sites, like YouTube, work well.
Firefox for Nokia N900 Release Notes

In other words, other platforms are coming to the exact same conclusion that Apple was smart enough to reach BEFORE they released support.

Apple's maxim: Better to have whining about missing features than to have whining about features that suck.
     
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Apple's maxim: Better to have whining about missing features than to have whining about features that suck.
Brass balls, too. "Copy and paste not done? We'll ship without, because we can."
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Brass balls, too. "Copy and paste not done? We'll ship without, because we can."
In retrospect, I can't believe the level of whining about the missing Cut & Paste .

I use about once a month. Big deal.

-t
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 02:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Brass balls, too. "Copy and paste not done? We'll ship without, because we can."
There's also the fact that if you put in every feature you can think of in version 1 - the public and press will be overwhelmed by all of the features and end up ignoring or glossing over much of it.

2x the features in one version does not equal 2x the press or 2x the appreciation from your customers. You gotta leave some stuff for version 2, 3, 4, etc.

You'll also never get your product to market if you try to put in every feature you can think of.
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 02:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'm not supporting Flash here, but there are some pretty interesting Flash games out there. It would be a waste for them to die because of Apple's stubbornness. I suppose they can be rewritten in HTML5, but who wants to rewrite a whole game because of Apple's stubbornness?
You have a point about games and other unique interactive content, but I'm glad Apple's stubbornness is forcing people to think about more judicious use of flash. I can't believe how many video players are done in flash. I don't need flash to play a video. What's worse is static headlines that are done in flash. If you don't think your audience has the font you want to display, then make a png for goodness sake. I shouldn't have to load the flash plug in just to view "Contact Us" in a pretty font!
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 02:54 PM
 
As far as fonts go, that's a whole other problem. You can embed fonts, but then the font licenses don't allow you to for that very purpose. For one thing, you have to put the font "out there" for the browser to read it, so that means opening the font to free download. The *only* solution to that is Flash or an embedded image which doesn't work well when localizing a page.

Again, not defending Flash, just saying that it solves a pretty big licensing problem.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
You have a point about games and other unique interactive content, but I'm glad Apple's stubbornness is forcing people to think about more judicious use of flash. I can't believe how many video players are done in flash. I don't need flash to play a video. What's worse is static headlines that are done in flash. If you don't think your audience has the font you want to display, then make a png for goodness sake. I shouldn't have to load the flash plug in just to view "Contact Us" in a pretty font!
I disagree on that one. As long as your type-replacement technology degrades gracefully (so that Flash-free people aren't stuck looking at a "missing plugin" icon), it's much better to do your fancy fonts in Flash than a PNG. That way, you're keeping text as text. Text in images is one of the most braindead things on the Web — you can't copy or paste it, you can't look it up in the dictionary, it doesn't scale if you zoom in on the page, it's a PITA to set up (either you have to prerender all of your text or you have to do pointless image generation on demand) and no screenreader will ever be able to use it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I disagree on that one. As long as your type-replacement technology degrades gracefully (so that Flash-free people aren't stuck looking at a "missing plugin" icon), it's much better to do your fancy fonts in Flash than a PNG. That way, you're keeping text as text. Text in images is one of the most braindead things on the Web.
What's the alternative? The licensing issues with fonts makes it almost impossible to do anything else.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY²
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2010, 04:30 PM
 
I'm not sure if this has been posted but one of my killer features for the iPad is comic book reading. Panelfly announced their iPhone app is coming to the iPad.

     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,