Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone still working on their G3 Powerbook?

Anyone still working on their G3 Powerbook?
(young) pioneer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi there,
just wondering if anyone else is still using their G3 Pismo or Lombard Powerbook. I just love this machine! it has never let me down, never needed a repair... only thing is that the battery only lasts about 10 minutes right now, oh well.
I believe these machines are great! Strong and sturdy. I even run Adobe CS2 on it. Yes, CS2 runs very slow, but it works!

So other people here share the same enthousiasm about the Pismo 20Gig/500mhz ?

however, i'm upgrading to a powerbook 12" probably next week (No, won't buy the MBP... yet) as this machine is getting a bit too slow... But i'll keep on using it untill it dies, but that might be a while...

dmlpbg4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 01:07 PM

my backup computer (when my pbg4 breaks - which is quite frequent) is a Pismo G3 400mhz. Workhorse, absolute workhorse. Never has broken, still fast considering the difference in processor speed. Great keyboard and the computer can take a beating unlike the AL pbs. One day I might consider putting a G4 in it and upgrading the HD to 7200rpm.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 04:06 PM

My PISMO was a great PowerBook and so is my 1GHz Ti PB. I have never had any issues with the PowerBook.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2006, 04:18 PM

I still use my G4 Lombard sometimes
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

jorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 05:25 PM

replaced the batteries, new one doesn't hold charge anymore either, can't play cd's or DVD's, replaced the harddrive twice and screen will fall flat when not supported by a large book. But still working...friend is using it now for word proc., small photoshop work and surfing the net.

Jim Baia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 08:41 PM

Shoot, I am still using a ibook G3 800 12" and a QuickSilver 733

Forum Links
Forum Rules