Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CNET review of MBP -- significant speed bump

CNET review of MBP -- significant speed bump
dmlpbg4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 05:23 PM

CNET recently posted its review of the new MBP penryn-class.

Apple MacBook Pro 2008 Edition (Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD) Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

Interestingly, from what I remember, most other comparisions of the santa rosa platform vs. the penryn do not show as significant a performance increase. Could the speed difference, at least in part, be attributable to the fact that the santa rosa MBP in CNET's test was running 10.4 rather than 10.5 as with the penryn MBPs?

I just bought a 2.4 MBP santa rosa. Still 100% pleased with my purchase, even if the penyrn is noticably faster. (I upgraded from a powerbook G4, so just about anything for me is a monumental speed bump).

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 05:36 PM

I had a G4, and nearly every release of the Macbook Pro intel chips.
I

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 05:37 PM

I have the penryn and so far do not see that big of a difference, but that may because i do not have the 6mb of cache one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2008, 10:38 PM

Apple used Penryn to improve margins (dropped CPU prices by $100-200 due to their clockrate selection) and improve battery life rather than improve performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules