Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Web 2.0 service integration in OSes

Web 2.0 service integration in OSes
Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 02:57 AM

So, this is about iOS and OS X, so I'm putting it in the lounge cause it's more speculative than anything.

With the announcement of Twitter integration into iOS, I think a lot of people were surprised not to see Facebook having an option, especially given the fact that Facebook offers many more features that could have been integrated. (iMessage/Chat, Message in Mail, status updates, Places, photos ...) I know that Apple's added Flickr support in iPhoto but as far as I know hasn't added it to iOS.

Now ideally we'd be able to install or not install support for any service we like, but given Apple's disinterest in plugins, and their unwillingness to let anyone degrade the experience. What Web 2.0 sort of services would you like the OPTION of having integrate with Apple's built in apps?

And please let's avoid saying that anyone can write an app therefore we shouldn't want integration with Apple's apps. As we've seen with the Twitter integration it can be done more elegantly if Apple makes the link.

Personally I'd like to see Facebook cave into whatever Apple's demands are. I'd also like to see the ability to access my Dropbox from within apps.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'd also like to see the ability to access my Dropbox from within apps.
In what way above how you already can via open and save? Since DrobBox is a local folder its just as accessible as any other folder and since it's just storage how would you like apps to access it more?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 03:25 AM

For example. The other day I had a PDF file that I'd have wanted to send off to a friend for them to look at. No doing. I could look at it myself, but I wanted to send them to it I had to either share it or go home and send it form my computer.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 03:34 AM

For example. The other day I had a PDF file that I'd have wanted to send off to a friend for them to look at. No doing. I could look at it myself, but I wanted to send them to it I had to either share it or go home and send it form my computer.
Could not send this PDF via email? <right click - new email with attachment>

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 04:12 AM

I can right click on an iPhone? Damn what kinda jail break are you running!?!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 04:45 AM

I can right click on an iPhone?
Not yet, but it is still one click to send a PDF via email from iOS in its current version.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 06:13 AM

The latest version of Dropbox allows you to save attachments from mail. Just select "open in" and select Dropbox. Done.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2011, 05:12 PM

SEND from dropbox.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 06:56 PM

You do know about the Dropbox public folder? Copy link, send to whoever you wish to send to.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 07:09 PM

I'd rather it be a framework API for creating a plugin rather than integrating. I don't want Facebook or social anything on my damn computer. I want my information private.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'd rather it be a framework API for creating a plugin rather than integrating. I don't want Facebook or social anything on my damn computer. I want my information private.

Yeah, I've brought this up before, but Apple really needs to consider how easy it is to put its users at risk by having them upload private stuff to the cloud that shouldn't leave the confines of their PC.

Then again, they will be dealing with this same problem with iCloud, but maybe they figure that as long as they are in control everything will be fine

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2011, 04:40 PM

OK aside from social insurance numbers and credit card numbers ... what exactly SHOULDN'T be uploaded to the cloud? Like naked pictures of your girl friend? The naked pictures you take of your kids in leather? Nuclear launch does? What exactly are you people storing on your computer that you're that worried about people finding it out?

I mean I was worried about people reading what was stored on my computer when I was a closet case. What's your guy's excuse?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 05:34 PM

OK aside from social insurance numbers and credit card numbers ... what exactly SHOULDN'T be uploaded to the cloud? Like naked pictures of your girl friend? The naked pictures you take of your kids in leather? Nuclear launch does? What exactly are you people storing on your computer that you're that worried about people finding it out?

I mean I was worried about people reading what was stored on my computer when I was a closet case. What's your guy's excuse?

Anything that is the property of a company, or the property of a customer while in the possession of a company where this data is protected by privacy laws? Medical records are a good example of this.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2011, 08:49 PM

I imagine most companies will disable anything like iDisk when the Mac is in their office. I imagine they'll take the same precautions that Google and Microsoft do. It's not as if someone's going to think hmmm let's throw this huge database of confidential stuff on my iDisk. And if they do, I imagine it'll be that person who gets in trouble, not Apple.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 09:02 PM

I imagine most companies will disable anything like iDisk when the Mac is in their office. I imagine they'll take the same precautions that Google and Microsoft do. It's not as if someone's going to think hmmm let's throw this huge database of confidential stuff on my iDisk. And if they do, I imagine it'll be that person who gets in trouble, not Apple.
If Apple's UI somehow someway confuses people into pressing some button that exposes private information, this is bad PR for Apple.

Facebook's privacy policies seem pretty questionable overall, perhaps Apple just decided that it would be in their best interest to keep a safe distance from all of this?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 02:01 AM

What exactly are you people storing on your computer that you're that worried about people finding it out?
Any work in progress that leads to Intellectual Property.

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2011, 11:11 AM

idisk's port is blocked by my work via the desktop, but I can log in via the web. Dropbox is allowed on the desktop for some reason.

If apple is moving towards a "everything in the cloud" scenario then yep, that txt file you have with all your passwords is going to end up in the cloud.

I think I'll put my passwords under my mattress instead.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 11:16 AM

Why do you store your passwords in a text file instead of a keychain note? That is stupid.

And I severely doubt that everything has to be in the cloud. You only get 5 GB after all. Only documents you explicitly want to live in the cloud will do so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2011, 11:18 AM

Does Web 2.0 actually exist? Cuz I still dunno what the hell it means.

Are we at Web 1.74 beta right now?

andi*pandi
Jun 20, 2011, 11:19 AM

Actually, I don't store them anywhere. I remember them. Hard as that is.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2011, 01:28 PM

Andi: 1password. It rocks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Does Web 2.0 actually exist? Cuz I still dunno what the hell it means.

Are we at Web 1.74 beta right now?

There actually is a definition for it, but it's just badly misused. The concepts are fairly significant to symbolize a shift in the way the web is understood.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2011, 09:42 AM

I just use the same password for everything ... and give my credit card number to any anti-virus software that tells me I need to.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
There actually is a definition for it
Where, and accepted by whom?

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
There actually is a definition for it, but it's just badly misused. The concepts are fairly significant to symbolize a shift in the way the web is understood.
I've always understood Web 2.0 to be marketing speak similar to the notion of `cloud.' Even if you argue in favor of a scientific term `Web 2.0', the fact that marketing people have watered it down to whatever they want it to mean opens the door for miscommunication.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

finboy
Jun 21, 2011, 01:02 PM

I think that OS support of the next big thing is limited because those next big things often turn out to be lame.

I'm surprised, for example, that there will be Twitter support in the OS. Won't it look really dumb in 2-3 years when nobody but high schoolers and the Mom's Basement Brigade are using Twitter again.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I've always understood Web 2.0 to be marketing speak
Yes, exactly. I put "Web 2.0" on par with "synergies".

Web 2.0 bullsh!t generator

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I think that OS support of the next big thing is limited because those next big things often turn out to be lame.

I'm surprised, for example, that there will be Twitter support in the OS. Won't it look really dumb in 2-3 years when nobody but high schoolers and the Mom's Basement Brigade are using Twitter again.
I damn well hope your prediction comes true.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post

That's like, 100 years ago, expecting and predicting the telephone to fail. The success of humanity as a species is inseperable from us being hardwired to be social. As a result, technologies that have allowed humans to be more human, i.e be more social, have always succeeded.

Twitter might well disappear one day, but while it exists, and works, it makes sense to support it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules