Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > advice needed: 2k?

advice needed: 2k?
macgeekjay
Feb 1, 2003, 06:45 PM

I just sold my system on eBay (a 933mHz desktop) for $2000 and want to get a Powerbook mainly for:

Dreameaver
iMovie
iDVD
iPhoto
Cleaner

Those are the big apps that I use on a daily basis. This system would be a desktop replacement.

Do I get:

a. A 12" Powerbook loaded (SD, RAM and HD) and a nice CRT.

-or-

b. A 15" Powerbook SD, used? And it would be a 1gHz model.

Those are my two choices. I need a portable device and love the 12" due to the size, keyboard and casing. The 15" is nice, but seem prone to problems and are surely going to be replaced soon. But I need one before the months out.

Any thoughts?

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2003, 07:25 PM

If you're only going to use these:

Dreameaver
iMovie
iDVD
iPhoto
Cleaner

and you don't mind the 12" Powerbook's DVD-R burning speed of 1x, then by all means get the 12" Powerbook. All the apps you mention should run reasonably well on it, and with spanning on a nice CRT (albeit via analog VGA port), you've still got yourself a sweet desktop setup.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2003, 07:27 PM

Didn't you say you work at an apple store?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by sensorfreaky:

and you don't mind the 12" Powerbook's DVD-R burning speed of 1x, then by all means get the 12" Powerbook.
Well, since all of the Powerbooks have 1X drives, I don't think that really enters into the equation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by sensorfreaky:
If you're only going to use these:

Dreameaver
iMovie
iDVD
iPhoto
Cleaner

and you don't mind the 12" Powerbook's DVD-R burning speed of 1x, then by all means get the 12" Powerbook. All the apps you mention should run reasonably well on it, and with spanning on a nice CRT (albeit via analog VGA port), you've still got yourself a sweet desktop setup.
Well, iMovie 3 doesn't even run all that well on a TiBook 1 GHz. I can only see it running worse on a 12".

Until yesterday I would have agreed with you, but after seeing what iMovie 3 is like I'd say just go with as fast a processor as you can afford.

I have a similar thread here.

By the way, Dreamweaver is a bit cramped on a 1024x768 screen, but I would imagine you would get an external screen anyway, no? Even cleaner's default windows don't fit well on a 1024x768 screen, but it's not a big deal.

macgeekjay  (op)
Feb 1, 2003, 11:28 PM

Great! Excellent!

These are all great responses! The last notebook I used was the Pismo and loved it... But it was a bit too hard to do any imaging work on the built in screen. Plus, my needs weren't mobile anymore so I sold it and got my tower.

So now I'm back to a notebook.

:-)

I wonder if anyone has used Dreamweaver on the 12" yet? That is by far my main app... I wouldn't even consider the 12" if it didn't have monitor spanning.

Does anyone have any advice on an external monitor?

Forum Links
Forum Rules