Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Print Center Icon in 7B85

New Print Center Icon in 7B85
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 01:38 AM

I found these new icons and behaviour in 7B85. When I installed it from CD1 I got a normal icon for my printer, same as earlier builds. But when I installed additional HP Drivers from CD2 I got these new ones.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier

Print Center Printer Icons

Print Center Icon in the Dock for my Laserjet 4550 Color

Print Center in the dock, Jobs Stopped
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 02:08 AM

yah kind a old news, it now uses the icon of yer printer. was in b74 I think.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 03:15 AM

I like how they improved printing to shared Windows Printers. It only took me literally less then a minute to set up, having basically no Windows networking experience. The simple steps are essentially selecting "Windows Printing" inside of Printer Setup Utility and then the choosing the right workgroup. Then you just have to try and get a similar driver, and with Gimp Print there is a lot so you can probably get an exact match. Then File - Print

Much easier then I thought it would be!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 03:20 AM

I'm having a spot of bother setting up a windows printer, because the workgroup doesn't show in the list. In Windows, you can just type in the workgroup, share and printern path in the combo box, but in OS X you have to select it from the list. Anyone know a work around ?

BTP
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 03:30 AM

Well I can't help you with Panther, but in Jaguar, there is a way. See macosxhints.com and search under windows printing.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 11:02 AM

I like the idea of the icon being my printer which is cool to see, but a generic white paper stands in front of it while printing and I miss the # of pages that were part of the old icon. The white paper icon looks dumb in front of a photorealistic icon, it blocks it so to speak. And there's no printing animation, like the paper going in or coming out of the printer. And no way of knowing you have 2 pages left to print.

Personally, I'd rather have the old way back.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I like the idea of the icon being my printer which is cool to see, but a generic white paper stands in front of it while printing and I miss the # of pages that were part of the old icon. The white paper icon looks dumb in front of a photorealistic icon, it blocks it so to speak. And there's no printing animation, like the paper going in or coming out of the printer. And no way of knowing you have 2 pages left to print.

Personally, I'd rather have the old way back.
Aww! The printing animation was sort of cool. and the angled Printer icons will look strange next to all the straight icons in the Dock.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2003, 11:28 AM

I like the idea of having a real image of the printer be the icon, but I HATE the example shown. It would take forever for someone like Adam Betts to create thousands of icons for all the different printers worthy of being on my dock

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
I'm having a spot of bother setting up a windows printer, because the workgroup doesn't show in the list. In Windows, you can just type in the workgroup, share and printern path in the combo box, but in OS X you have to select it from the list. Anyone know a work around ?
I did this the other day by option-clicking Add printer. This will make an Advanced option available. Then select "Windows Printer via SAMBA". You need to type in the address of the printer, I used smb://username:[email protected]/printer

(I think you can use workgroup/host/printer after the @ too .)

You also need to select the printer driver. Later, I configured some more at http://localhost:631

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 02:24 PM

What I think is great is that you can keep those icons in your dock, then just drag the icon of the file you want to print on to them. So if you want to use a printer other than your default there's no extra step. Very nice, and very mac like.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I like the idea of having a real image of the printer be the icon, but I HATE the example shown. It would take forever for someone like Adam Betts to create thousands of icons for all the different printers worthy of being on my dock
I agree.

-Owl

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
What I think is great is that you can keep those icons in your dock, then just drag the icon of the file you want to print on to them. So if you want to use a printer other than your default there's no extra step. Very nice, and very mac like.
You can make a desktop icon for each of your printers too if you don't want to take up dock space.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2003, 03:17 PM

We have a 7B85 thread. Let's keep discussion of it in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules