Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Slow printing in OSX, fast in Windows...

Slow printing in OSX, fast in Windows...
Franz
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2007, 01:26 PM

Hi,

My dad has an HP Photosmart P1000 printer. He wants to know why it prints so slow in OS X (10.4 Tiger) compared to Windows XP (under bootcamp), which is very fast. His computer is an intel mac mini if that makes any difference.

I've tested and confirmed the difference. Is there a setting that we can change or something or anything that would help it print faster? Thanks.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 02:03 PM

It may be that HP write better drivers for Windows, than they do OS X. Or that, your Dad hasn't installed the proper HP driver in OS X. I used a Canon printer, and the speed is fine in both Windows and OS X.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Franz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
It may be that HP write better drivers for Windows, than they do OS X. Or that, your Dad hasn't installed the proper HP driver in OS X. I used a Canon printer, and the speed is fine in both Windows and OS X.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
Would you recommend installing the HP printer drivers for Mac OSX? Because it works plug-and-play, and I thought that was what you were supposed to do on Mac.

My dads mac mini only has 512mb of RAM so I'd rather not have extra programs running if unneeded. If it does help speed things up though printing-wise it may be worth it.

davecom
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 12:53 AM

Give it a shot, you can always uninstall it.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2007, 01:37 AM

If he's printing multiple copies of a single page he'll do well to uncheck the "Collated" check box in the Print dialog.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 03:55 AM

Ive found that sometimes a driver might be set to "look best" mode and will print slower using more ink. Try to set the printer to draft mode in the setup before pressing print.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Forum Links
Forum Rules