Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Backup issues

Backup issues
zelq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 09:01 PM

Ever since upgrading to Leopard, the backup quickpick errors. I've even tried a generic backup job of the files, and that errors as well.

Anyone else having issues or am I looking in the wrong place

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2007, 06:10 PM

I have to admit, I've never had much luck with Backup 3 and don't recommend it. (Mind you I don't recommend against it, but I'm not going to tell you to do something I won't do myself.)

What I will say is this: if you can't get it to work, and don't want to switch to Time Machine for all your backup needs, simply make a regular copy of your data file to .Mac.

The file is located in your home folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Delicious Library/Library Media Data.xml

Optionally you may also backup the "Images/Plain Covers" subfolder, but were the unthinkable to happen, you could always just reload your items to get the covers from Amazon, thus saving the trouble and disk space.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 07:16 PM

Junk it and switch to Time Machine.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2007, 07:56 PM

This brings up another question : will DL2 have .Mac sync support, or some independent syncing mechanism?

I used to store my DL folder on my .Mac disk, which have synced locally on my desktop, laptop and work desktop, which has worked reasonably well, but wouldn't 'Mac syncing be better?

I do use TimeMachine for backup now, so this is more of an access issue than a backup issue for me.

-mpm

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2007, 09:20 PM

At the time, the story goes, the amount of data Delicious Library would be moving was considered too much to be appropriate for .Mac. Then there was talk of Core Data automatically syncing over .Mac, but that didn't pan out either.

Now we have our own built-in sharing feature for Delicious Library 2. It's not the same as syncing, but it does let you access your library from multiple computers, and for most people, that's enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules