Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cd prob

cd prob
delm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2007, 07:47 PM

this will be the first of many ??? I have about laptops and mac. First , why is it the laptop will not read a cd that came with my acser monitor ? My g5 will read it , why not the lap. The cd contains a user manual .

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 01:18 PM

What format is the CD? Can you try another CD?

why can't you use the paper manual?
Signature depreciated.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 01:45 PM

Does the CD mount at all? If you can read it on your g5, then this is probably not a big deal, unless your cd drive will not read other cds as well.

delm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 07:30 PM

wow! being as how I am new to this stuff, your questons are a bit difficult.First, the paper manual is only one page, not very informe tive. When viewed on the mac G5 more info is available.As for format, sorry no idea.Thanks C.A.t.S.As to your ? peeb ,I do not know what you mean by mount, I do get an icon that I can bring up on my G5 but it will not open on the lap. From what I have heard , the lap will not open all cd's, it's just a thing with laps. Yes , the lap will read cd's, I needed a cd to open and use my airport extreme. The lap seems to be very finiky, maybe even tempermental. Many times it will ask to reopen asite. When on apple's home site , the lap will not let me see the lastest apple commercial. Go figure.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 08:12 PM

By mount, I mean show the icon for it on the desktop. When you say it will not open, do you mean the icon does not appear on the laptop, or that it does nothing when you click on it?

delm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2007, 04:33 PM

peeb,the icon will not appear on the the laptop. The lap will wizz and whirl, but will not put an icon up on the desktop. I am thinking of trying disk util. and see what happens there. My next ? is this. How or even can I close my laptop and still work on the external monitor. I have read, put the lap to sleep, close lid, tap a key to wake the monitor and continue. I do not have an extra key board as it is in use on the G5. Any ideas ?

delm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 07:20 AM

Problem solved. Thank you all for your help. The disc was found in my finder and not on the desk top of the laptop. It was showing up on the desk top of the G5. I did not know to look in finder until reading up on some unrelated subjects and found what I needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules