Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which HD for new Macbook Pro?

Which HD for new Macbook Pro?
Wayland
Jan 4, 2010, 01:17 AM

I purchased a macbook pro 13" 2.26 ghz on black friday to replace my ibook g4. In case you are wondering, I bought it from mac connection and will never deal with them again.

Anyhow, I want to upgrade from the 160 gb hd that came with it. I was thinking about the seagate momentus 7200.4 500 gb, but I hear it has problems. Seems many users get a never ending click and buzz. Any other good choices? I've had good luck with hitachi and fujitsu in the past.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2010, 01:54 AM

I have a 7200 RPM Hitachi in my 15.4" MBP, it seems to be a good drive. It's pretty quiet for a 7200 RPM notebook drive.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2010, 05:58 AM

I bought two 7200.4 drives and none of them has given me any problems. At work we have one in a brand new 15" unibody MBP and it's doing just fine too.

If you want capacity and performance from a notebook HDD the 7200.4 is what you're looking for.

http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...-just-arrived/

Cold Warrior
Jan 4, 2010, 05:23 PM

I have a WD Scorpio 5400 500 GB. Am pleased with it so far.

MBP 13".

Wayland  (op)
Jan 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks. I'll probably get a WD scorpio. It is slower but seems to have overall better reviews than the seagate. I suspect the seagate problems were from the initial launch and have been worked out now, but I don't really care about the speed increase.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 5, 2010, 08:13 PM

7200 RPM 500GB Seagate Momentus here. The install on my first gen MBP wasn't difficult and I now have "vast tracts of land..." or rather enormous amounts of storage. Wonderful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 10, 2010, 03:18 PM

I got my 13" MBP around Black Friday as well, but a refurbished unit from Apple--never found a Black Friday deal that could beat it. I dropped in 4 GB of RAM and the WD 640 GB drive. I considered the 750 GB (I heard that it fits even if it is a little thicker) but it cost over 2x as much as the 640. I needed the big space as the MBP was replacing my iMac (portability trumped the big screen) and I couldn't tote my whole media collection around and have enough wiggle room with a 500 GB drive.

I'd really like a 640+ GB SSD, but that's a no go for the near future...but I can always dream

stugots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 PM

I upgraded my 80Gb to a WD 500GB a little while back.

All HDDs can fail! My biggest suggestion to you would be make sure you have a good backup plan no matter what HDD you choose.
 Macbook CD 2GHz/2GB RAM/500GB HD/10.6.2
 Mac Mini C2D 2.26Ghz/2GB RAM/160 HD/10.6.2
iPhone 3g 8GB / Apple TV 40GB

Bearsfan34
Jan 23, 2010, 01:04 AM

Can't vouch for the "latest/greatest model," but as a staunch WD guy for years, I went with a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 HDD (320GB) last year. Had it first in a white MacBook 2.2GHz, then swapped it into my 2.26GHz MacBook Pro. BTW, can't tell you how nice it was to just swap HDDs in computers and not miss a beat. Try doing that with (almost every) Windows box(es)!

Been spectacular. Any issues I've had have been PEBKAC errors, the HDD has been flawless. It's been "zeroed out" once already, reformatted at least 3 times (don't ask...I like to tinker...too much, admittedly), and any issue I've had is because I'm a moron. It's been great. No Seagate issues here.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

Wayland  (op)
Jan 29, 2010, 12:42 PM

I ended up purchasing a WD scorpio blue 500gb. It is a lot faster than the hitachi 160 gb that came with the machine, but I will probably return it. The problem is that the hd makes a fan noise. There is a barely audible woosh noise coming from it.

It probably shouldn't bother me, but it reminds me of my old Titanium 1 GHz fanbook that I sold because the fan would turn on and never turn off. The drive is quite good, but for psychological reasons I will be switching to a hitachi 500 gb.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 01:16 PM

What you're hearing is not fan noise, it's the HDD.

Also, in my experience the 500 GB Hitachi is a tad noisier than the 500 GB Seagate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules