Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I disable the Mac App Store?

How do I disable the Mac App Store?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2011, 04:18 PM

I have a special needs son and for this reason I have to limit what he has access to on his iMac.
With the Mac App Store coming I had made the choice to simply not install/download the Mac App Store. I realized that this morning that is not an option, it is installed as part of the 10.6.6 update.
I removed it from the dock but still I realize it is installed on the Mac and for example it's an option on the Apple pulldown menu and I know there is an option of when a file cannot be opened there is an option to open the app store to find an app.
I looked at Parental controls but unless I am wrong could not find an option to completely disable the app store. I don't mind enabling it when I want to install certain apps on his mac that he will need. This may be convenient but simply don't want him to be able to get into the app store to install apps.
Thank you for your help.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 04:23 PM

How is the link to the iTunes Account handled ?

Isn't there an option that requires the password to be entered for all purchases ?

-t

OreoCookie
Jan 6, 2011, 04:32 PM

I had to enter my password for each purchase.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 05:06 PM

Isn't it possible to disable apps on a case by case basis?

OreoCookie
Jan 6, 2011, 05:14 PM

Sure, you can take away read privileges from your son's user.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mr.scott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2011, 05:37 PM

I'm currently running day-to-day in a non-admin account. The app store requires a) an admin password to install apps, and b) an iTunes store password to purchase apps. If your son is running as a non-admin user, you're good to go.

If you also don't want him searching the store (possibly to avoid the I-want syndrome) you could probably remove the App Store from the Applications folder. Perhaps put in in your Admin account's Applications folder instead. Downside would be that it would probably break when updated.

Whoops, I just looked again. System Prefs ->Parental Controls ->Apps tab ->Other Apps ->App Store. Uncheck it.
--
Scott

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 12, 2011, 09:23 PM

You can remove the App Store icon from the Dock and delete it from the Applications folder...just drag it to the trash can and you're done. I'd suggest a reboot afterwards, but I don't think it's necessary.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
You can remove the App Store icon from the Dock and delete it from the Applications folder...just drag it to the trash can and you're done. I'd suggest a reboot afterwards, but I don't think it's necessary.
I wouldn't delete the App Store application. There are already several applications for which the App Store is the only way to purchase those applications.

One can use Parental Controls to control whether the App Store application can be launched or not. That is a better solution.

zelegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I have a special needs son and for this reason I have to limit what he has access to on his iMac.
With the Mac App Store coming I had made the choice to simply not install/download the Mac App Store. I realized that this morning that is not an option, it is installed as part of the 10.6.6 update.
I removed it from the dock but still I realize it is installed on the Mac and for example it's an option on the Apple pulldown menu and I know there is an option of when a file cannot be opened there is an option to open the app store to find an app.
I looked at Parental controls but unless I am wrong could not find an option to completely disable the app store. I don't mind enabling it when I want to install certain apps on his mac that he will need. This may be convenient but simply don't want him to be able to get into the app store to install apps.
Thank you for your help.
To remove Mac App Store you can run this script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash if [[ -d /Applications/App\ Store.app ]] then sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist mkdir BackupMacAppStore sudo mv -v /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/store_helper.app BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/storeagent BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /Applications/App\ Store.app BackupMacAppStore/ tar jcvf BackupMacAppStore.tar.bz2 BackupMacAppStore rm -rf BackupMacAppStore/ fi

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2011, 02:02 AM

That looks to be a very, very permanent solution.

I would guess the only "fix" for that would be running the 10.6.6 combo update on the machine.

If you run that, you run that at your own risk.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 11:20 AM

I'd just archive it - control click it, compress it, delete the original, then put the zipped archive someplace safe.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by zelegolas View Post
To remove Mac App Store you can run this script:
Code:
#!/bin/bash if [[ -d /Applications/App\ Store.app ]] then sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist mkdir BackupMacAppStore sudo mv -v /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/store_helper.app BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/storeagent BackupMacAppStore/ sudo mv -v /Applications/App\ Store.app BackupMacAppStore/ tar jcvf BackupMacAppStore.tar.bz2 BackupMacAppStore rm -rf BackupMacAppStore/ fi
Very, very, very, very BAD idea.

Especially since Apple might start using that framework in iTunes or other programs. Not to mention breaking future software updates.

Honestly, I don't see what people's problem is with just leaving the store alone and never launching the app. Or at most delete the icon from the Dock and put the app into its own folder. If you never run the app, you don't see the store, and no information is exchanged with Apple about anything you might own that is also sold in the store.

For the original poster, if his son is not an admin user, he won't be able to buy apps, because installing them requires an Admin password. If he wants to keep his son from even launching the App Store, then turning on Parental Controls and adding the App Store application to the "do not allow access" list.

No need to go deleting things installed as part of the operating system.

Thorzdad
Jan 13, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mr.scott View Post
Whoops, I just looked again. System Prefs ->Parental Controls ->Apps tab ->Other Apps ->App Store. Uncheck it.
This would seem to be the best answer. Simply don't allow its use via the built-in control provided for exactly this purpose.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mr.scott View Post
The app store requires ... an iTunes store password to purchase apps. ...
The AppStore needs your AppleID & password which is used as your iTunes login as well as the Apple.com Store login...

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2011, 12:36 AM

Unless you give your special needs son your credit card I don't see the worry.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2011, 09:02 PM

Best way to disable the app store: don't "upgrade" to 10.6.6 (and I use the word 'upgrade' very loosely here)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules