Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > sync iphone, imac, and ipad

sync iphone, imac, and ipad
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2011, 01:31 AM

Hello I am probably in the wrong area, but what I a question for all the computers. I have 2 imacs, and ipad, and an iphone. Now here is the delema. I want to sync them all to the same. When I go to each one they want to merge or what not. i do not want this and I do not want to replace. The iphone is correct with all of my calendars, and contacts. so I guess I will have to delete all on each machine then sync them right or wrong.

Thanks

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 5, 2011, 11:50 AM

When you first sync, you would replace one iMac's contents with the iPhone contents. Next, sync the iPad and same iMac, replacing the iPad contents with the iMac contents. That would get everything on a common baseline. If you are absolutely certain that the iPhone always has the correct information, then repeat this sequence when you want to sync everything together.

That covers three of the four devices, leaving iMac #2. Maybe there's a solution if one of them is an OS X server, but I'm not familiar with that arrangement. Using Yahoo or Google as the common point for contacts and calendars may work too. I used to go with Google Calendars and Contacts, but never really liked how well it worked.

I found that MobileMe works the easiest for keeping my iPhone, iPad, and iMac calendars and contacts in sync. Not only are contacts and calendars synced wirelessly, but so are keychains from Mac to Mac, Safari bookmarks between them all, and a few other settings and features between the Macs (all configurable and can be turned off of course). There's also iDisk online storage and syncing, online photo gallery, and email. You can get a 60-day free trial from Apple if you haven't done so before. It's $99/year after that directly from Apple, but you can usually get activation codes at a discount from places like Amazon.com; my last renewal was $60. At less than $10/month, I find the hassle-free syncing worth the money.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2011, 01:11 PM

WOW I just got my MobileMe account setup, and what a life saver. I see that as soon as something is changed all devices are changed just that quick. WOW I love MAC's

Forum Links
Forum Rules