Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Video production business

Video production business
hwalker21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 06:51 AM

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl who has spent the last couple of years working with Final Cut Express. I am interested in opening a private, at home DVD editing service. I would produce anything from compilations of home videos to sporting event videos. I like to cut several songs and intertwine them together for my videos. I've been looking into it, and I'm having a hard time finding a pratical means for using the audio I would like to, eg. copyright stuff. Most of the prices for the usage of songs seem unreasonable considering these will be short clips of songs sold to a tops of probably 50 people. However, I don't want to violate any copyright laws while doing this, and so I am at a loss of what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2005, 07:24 AM

hi hwalker,

don't mess with copyright!
depending, in which country you live in, that could be veeery expansive (in Paraguay you don't have to care, in Germany, the owner could call up for ANY price, after you have used it!)

if you plan to use music in a professional way, you have less options:
* buy just a few titles and use them in EVERY of your projects.
* get some "free" music (Apple had some on the .mac disk), search the web
* make your own music - don't laugh! I'm serious, without knowing your talent.- but soundtrack & garageband offer - for my taste - some excellent possibilties, to "make" music. and it's royality free mostly music in projects as your, is more "background", no need for Britney, Bernstein and Co.

xanderwilson
Jan 16, 2005, 03:56 PM

Find some local musicians or independent musicians on the web with songs you like. Offer to pay them and give them publicity and you'll be able to pretty much name your price.

Otherwise, yeah, Soundtrack and Garageband is pretty easy to do.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

kisol007
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 03:21 PM

Another thing to remember is that if your client provides you the music from their own collection to use in THEIR video that is totally legit. So, for example, a wedding video that has music in it that is provided by the bride and groom is totally OK to do. Same with a family history video, or a sports highlight deal or anything else like that.

Now, where it gets a little more murcky is when you do a highschool graduation and want to sell it to all the parents or something... you can run into trouble there...

Hope that helps. I would also recommend soundtrack and garageband. And the comment about having someone do a cover is a good one too. Especially if you have any friends would could lay down a nice recording in a studio...

Good luck!

hwalker21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 06:52 AM

Kisol007- Thanks so much, that is exactly something that I was looking for. Thanks again!

Originally posted by kisol007:
Another thing to remember is that if your client provides you the music from their own collection to use in THEIR video that is totally legit. So, for example, a wedding video that has music in it that is provided by the bride and groom is totally OK to do. Same with a family history video, or a sports highlight deal or anything else like that.

Now, where it gets a little more murcky is when you do a highschool graduation and want to sell it to all the parents or something... you can run into trouble there...

Hope that helps. I would also recommend soundtrack and garageband. And the comment about having someone do a cover is a good one too. Especially if you have any friends would could lay down a nice recording in a studio...

Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules