Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So apple f**ed up and sent me 2 ipods?!

So apple f**ed up and sent me 2 ipods?!
Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

I am in a quandry here....I ordered a refurb video ipod last week and apple sent it ground. Then I called to see if I could pick it up instead of having it delivered and apple said they had to make at least one delivery attempt. I was bummed (mainly because I am never home and I needed it by a certain time for work). Later that night, I got notification that they overnighted me another one, completely unrequested.....The invoice says unit price $0.00, shipping $0.00 on the overnighted one, but I was charged for the 1st one.....
Now I have two black refurbed video ipods sitting on my desk! I really want to keep them, but I wonder if they will notice (if it was a mistake, and not someone throwing me a bone...as I have had issues with products in the past, and made a LOT of noise) and charge my credit card since I signed for them both. Additionally I tend to try and do the "right thing" and have been considering calling them and asking whats up with the hope that they will tell me to keep it. What do you think? What would you do?
I can't really afford another $179 charge on my card....
RS
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 01:52 PM

The mistake giveth, and the conscience taketh away.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 01:56 PM

Let them know about the mistake. If they let you keep it, cool, your conscience is clear. If not, cool, you still have one more video iPod than me.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 01:59 PM

Ahhh but how about some petty justification......large rich company, what's $179.....loyal 10 year customer.....I can sell one to pay off the other(which I really couldn't afford anyway, my old 2g died last week).....what to do, what to do! Can they make me pay for their mistake? I'll probably end up calling, concience taketh away indeed...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 02:35 PM

I have 2 copies of Guitar Hero two, and am in the very same situation. I still need to call them and see if they want to pay to have me send it back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 02:51 PM

Call 'em. Whatever they do, insist on it not costing you a single cent.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 02:54 PM

It's up to you. If you call I'm pretty sure they'll just send you a return shipment label for it and have you drop it in a FedEx drop box or something. I wouldn't bet 10 cents on them telling you to keep it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:55 PM

After the fiasco with FedEx delivering my parent's Christmas present three days after Christmas I called Apple to get the express delivery charge reversed. They reimbursed me for the entire order, books and all.

Yes, I did let them know. Damn.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 03:07 PM

They're getting rid of old stock ready for January 9th .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:13 PM

Send an email to S. Jobs about it, maybe he will let you keep it

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:16 PM

I wouldn't tell them about it. But then again, I have a 'loose moral compass' according to my better half. If it was someone's personal property, I'd most definitely call... but if it's a big company, screw them. I don't care what big company it is, big companies ALWAYS screw people, so if you can screw them back just a little bit, go for it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I wouldn't tell them about it. But then again, I have a 'loose moral compass' according to my better half. If it was someone's personal property, I'd most definitely call... but if it's a big company, screw them. I don't care what big company it is, big companies ALWAYS screw people, so if you can screw them back just a little bit, go for it.
Sorry, but that's bullshit. I run a company. And because we know that we will get screwed by people like you, we also know, roughly, the amount of money that is going to cost us. So what do we do? We build that cost into the price we have to charge everybody.

The only people you're screwing are your fellow customers.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:32 PM

You run a 'big' company? Which one? My point was that any big company screws people over sometimes. Even Target. Even apple.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
Additionally I tend to try and do the "right thing"
So, why even start a thread ?
You know what the right thing is.

Or are you looking for justification to go against your sense of right ? Bad Karma.

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 03:46 PM

You run a 'big' company? Which one? My point was that any big company screws people over sometimes. Even Target. Even apple.
I run a company. Nothing like Apple, but that doesn't matter. We get screwed by people like you. That's universal and that's all that matters. Whether you're selling 10 million a year or ten, you still have to make sure you won't lose money to asshats.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:50 PM

If you're a small company, I would not screw you. If you're a big one, I would. I've gotten screwed by Target, JC Pennys, my insurance company, and tons of other companies. If I can get a 'bit back', then I will.

I'm sure you've been ****ed by big companies before also.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Sorry, but that's bullshit. I run a company. And because we know that we will get screwed by people like you, we also know, roughly, the amount of money that is going to cost us. So what do we do? We build that cost into the price we have to charge everybody.

The only people you're screwing are your fellow customers.
So basically you're raising prices for everybody because you know some people are going to screw you over, so basically you're preemptively screwing over all your customers 'just a little' so when you get screwed it isn't so bad.

That's the same philosophy I have, from the other end.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

So basically you're raising prices for everybody because you know some people are going to screw you over, so basically you're preemptively screwing over all your customers 'just a little' so when you get screwed it isn't so bad.

That's the same philosophy I have, from the other end.
Yes, but from his side, it's a business necessity that keeps him alive, from your side, it's just maliciousness.

-t

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

They will figure it out and they will bill you for it.
They sent me two iBooks once and they figured out their mistake

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So, why even start a thread ?
You know what the right thing is.

Or are you looking for justification to go against your sense of right ? Bad Karma.

-t
yep you are absolutely right turtle....I am looking for justification for keeping it! If you had two ipods sitting on your desk, you might feel the same way, but as I have said, I'll most likely call them. Why start a thread? Justification/ others's experiences/ entertainment/ boasting....why else? Why does anyone not seeking help start a thread....boasting, entertainment, gathering other's experiences, for fun.
RS

ps- bad karma I do NOT need...

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 04:43 PM

Keep it, F**k em, I have had 2 ipods die, one was 18 months old and the other just 13, no amount of bitching got them to fix or replace them, I paid almost $500 for my 2nd and when it died I was soooo pissed. If you want to ill take it off yer hands ;-D

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 04:57 PM

Well I called apple to check up on this......they said the reason I got two was because I had an issue with the shipping, they don't know why I got a second one free but they will not be charging me. She said to just keep them both. HOORAY!!!!! I am stunned....talk about customer service! Now I can sell the other one to a friend for half price, and I essentially get a new (refurbed) video ipod for $90. WOW!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 05:00 PM

Good for you. You did the right thing, and you got rewarded.

-t

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 05:18 PM

Course, he would have been rewarded had he kept both of them too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 05:34 PM

No, 'cause Karma is a bitch.

-t

laieboy
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 05:59 PM

A friend of mine ordered a $3,000.00 Korg Triton keyboard from a online store and they accidently shipped him two! He called them back about the mishap and they told him according to their records only one was shipped out and they didn't know what he was talking about. He insisted that they sent him two keyboards instead of one and that he wants to ship the other one back! The company finally told me friend that if he wants to return the second keyboard he would have to pay for shipping out of his own pocket, which would be a couple hundred bucks. They would not pay for shipping because there is no missing keyboard on their records. This happened a couple of years ago and he still has both keyboards and they never billed him for the second keyboard. Sweet!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 05:59 PM

Some people have this thing called a conscience that tends to bug them. It must be nice to be free of that constraint.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 5, 2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by laieboy View Post
A friend of mine ordered a $3,000.00 Korg Triton keyboard from a online store and they accidently shipped him two! He called them back about the mishap and they told him according to their records only one was shipped out and they didn't know what he was talking about. He insisted that they sent him two keyboards instead of one and that he wants to ship the other one back! The company finally told me friend that if he wants to return the second keyboard he would have to pay for shipping out of his own pocket, which would be a couple hundred bucks. They would not pay for shipping because there is no missing keyboard on their records. This happened a couple of years ago and he still has both keyboards and they never billed him for the second keyboard. Sweet!
If he wants to clear his conscience, I'll send him $300 and my shipping address..

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 06:22 PM

Iii Toooooooooooooooold The Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
If he wants to clear his conscience, I'll send him $300 and my shipping address..
No kiddin' - those are nice keyboards. I think I like my Fantom X7 a little better, but damn...a free Korg is a free Korg!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 07:21 PM

Keep it.
Too bad they sent it FedEx. I wonder if something like USPS's Receipt of Unsolicited Merchandise applies.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 08:04 PM

With modern shipping practices, don't be surprised if you find out you've gotten billed for the second iPod. I thought I got a second cell phone due to a promotion, but it was really accidentally shipped. I didn't get the bill until months later, and when I tried to return the phone, the company nearly persisted in saying I couldn't return it because months had passed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Keep it.
Too bad they sent it FedEx. I wonder if something like USPS's Receipt of Unsolicited Merchandise applies.

Although ones conscience might get in the way... it appears the law is on the side of the recipient:

"Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication."

He ordered the first iPod he received... the second one was unsolicited/unordered and it appears that the laws states it's his to keep.

(Well technically the second one was unordered... I think that it gets a little fuzzy...)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Although ones conscience might get in the way... it appears the law is on the side of the recipient:

"Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication."

He ordered the first iPod he received... the second one was unsolicited/unordered and it appears that the laws states it's his to keep.

(Well technically the second one was unordered... I think that it gets a little fuzzy...)
The law is clearly on the side of the recipient IF the product is sent USPS. With FedEx/UPS, I'm not so sure.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle View Post
Well I called apple to check up on this......they said the reason I got two was because I had an issue with the shipping, they don't know why I got a second one free but they will not be charging me. She said to just keep them both. HOORAY!!!!! I am stunned....talk about customer service! Now I can sell the other one to a friend for half price, and I essentially get a new (refurbed) video ipod for $90. WOW!
"Proud of youâ„¢" - MOS

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by laieboy View Post
Two Korgs? That's almost as good as having one Roland. Sweet.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:28 PM

I can beat you , we had 2 replacement 12 inch PowerBooks. The guys in my dorm tried to convince me to let one of them have it. It went back to Apple... our legal counsel... my sister was very insistent that we not all go to jail.

ÿ±këç
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 10:39 PM

1. draw a jesus on it
5. profit!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 5, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Keep it.
That's not USPS, it's the law. It all about preventing unscrupulous companies from MAKING you give them money by sending you stuff you didn't ask for. There are subtleties, particularly in the OP's case, because he DID ask for the product, but got more than one of them. Further, as you'll note in the USPS page, they talk about merchandise of relatively trivial value, not nearly $200. So YES, it applies, but NOT to all situations.

I think the OP did the right thing overall, and that his karma has been bumped up an extra notch because they said "oops, you're right, but keep it." Good for him.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ÿ±këç View Post
1. draw a jesus on it
5. profit!
I think you're in the wrong thread.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
They will figure it out and they will bill you for it.
They sent me two iBooks once and they figured out their mistake
They can't do that by US law. Companies used to send stuff out in the 60s non-requested and then bill people, the government had to step in to prevent companies from exploiting people like that.

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 6, 2007, 12:29 AM

I think that was alright.. He did what he thought was right and got rewarded in the end.. a 2nd iPod.. id love an iPod.. but all funds currently go into renting a place

Fett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:33 AM

Email [email protected] with your problem. Most likely they will let you keep it if they reply using that address.
"He's no good to me dead."

Railroader
Banned
Jan 6, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fett View Post
Email [email protected] with your problem. Most likely they will let you keep it if they reply using that address.
Although that joke is old and no longer funny, you need to read the whole thread there sport.

Fett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:46 AM

Well, I thought that joke was funny. What a harsh crowd. No seriously, depending on who you talk to and what kind of mood they are in, you may be able to keep the iPod. It all depends on who you talk to.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 6, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fett View Post
Well, I thought that joke was funny. What a harsh crowd. No seriously, depending on who you talk to and what kind of mood they are in, you may be able to keep the iPod. It all depends on who you talk to.
Dude, read. the. WHOLE. thread.

Fett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:50 AM

Oh I missed that one post. Oops. Obviously you talked to the right person Mr. OP.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I run a company. Nothing like Apple, but that doesn't matter. We get screwed by people like you. That's universal and that's all that matters. Whether you're selling 10 million a year or ten, you still have to make sure you won't lose money to asshats.
Wrong. Had this been a mistake it would have been them that screwed themselves, not the other way around. The asshat would be the person or system that shipped more than was ordered. Lucky for them the OP was nice enough (not moral enough) to give them the chance to unscrew themselves.

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Wrong. Had this been a mistake it would have been them that screwed themselves, not the other way around. The asshat would be the person or system that shipped more than was ordered. Lucky for them the OP was nice enough (not moral enough) to give them the chance to unscrew themselves.
Well, really if you think about it, they probably have a LOT of these refurbs lying around, and it is not much of an investment to replace a screen or hard drive, so I don't think they are screwing themselves out of much (plus it was the first 30gig video ipod models....no search feature, and with the expo coming up and maybe new ipods). Personally I think they probably looked up my record of purchases and complaints and were, as I said before, "throwing me a bone"....now on the other hand, if it had been a new iPod, I'd bet they would've wanted it back. Anyway, good stuff...though my girlfriend is a little peeved, she just spent $250 on a new one of the same model a few months ago.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules