Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal opens, but won't load and calendars

iCal opens, but won't load and calendars
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 06:11 PM

Hell all,

I'm running 10.5.6 and sync to MobileMe. Yesterday, when I went to open iCal, it looked like this:

It stays like this. There's no beachball, no loading sign. I can hide and show the month calendar down the bottom right, but the bottom third of it remains out of view. Same with the notifications. What few options are available on the Menu (almost all are greyed out, including Preferences) have no visible response. About all I can do is browse in day, week, or month mode, on my event-free calendar. In order to get iCal to close, Quit doesn't work, I have to go Force Quit.

I've turned off MobileMe for the time being, opened and close iSync, and trashed the files at ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/ as well as ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist. No change.

Interestingly, I can still view my calendar just fine within MobileMe.

Can anyone suggest any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 08:25 PM

Ugh... you shouldn't have trashed SyncServices.

Anyway, you could try resetting the data on the computer from MobileMe - go to the MobileMe preference pane in System preferences, and under the Sync tab, click the Advanced button. Then click the Reset Sync data... button in the bottom left of the sheet that appears, choose Calendars from the Replace: menu and ensure that you are replacing the data on the computer from MobileMe and not the other way around - the arrow should point from the cloud to the computer (right to left).

Note, you might actually have to replace all the data, rather than just calendars seeing as you have deleted the SyncServices folder! If so, I would archive your e.g. Address Book data (File>Export>Address Book Archive...), and back up your Mail folders (~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Mail Downloads) and Safari bookmarks etc. first.

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply JKT. After trashing SyncServices, I was frustrated to find that it's not included in Time Machine's backup. :s

I did what you suggested, and it downloaded all the iCal data, and only the iCal data, from the cloud. However, when I reopened iCal, it's still doing the same thing.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2009, 09:26 PM

Try using iCal in another user account with your settings and see if the same thing happens.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2009, 10:46 PM

Thanks - I just tried it out on a Guest account, and the same thing happened.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules