Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys"

"Cheese-eating surrender monkeys"
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 12:14 PM

Here's a good article summarizing differences between Europeans and Americans of late.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16059

For those who found good points in previous threads, the author Ash (a Brit) has further to say about
  • historic differences being acted out today
  • Kagan's influential analysis
  • anti-semiticism and the role of Israel
  • George Bush and all that

One of my favorite quotes is Ash's take on American attitudes towards Europe:
Anti-Europeanism is very far from being an American obsession. In fact, the predominant American popular attitude toward Europe is probably mildly benign indifference, mixed with impressive ignorance.
Right on.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2003, 01:01 PM

Hey Timo,

What episode of the Simpsons is that from? I know it's "Groundskeeper Willie" talking about the French, but can't remember what context it's used or what episode.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
Hey Timo,

What episode of the Simpsons is that from? I know it's "Groundskeeper Willie" talking about the French, but can't remember what context it's used or what episode.
I'm not Timo but I'm a big Simpsons fan. Isn't it the one where the teachers go on strike and the community have to teach the classes? Groundkeeper Willie taught French and began class with:

Bonjooooooooooore, ya cheese eatin' surrender monkeys!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 01:59 PM

Yeah, a good read, even if it contains a quote from the insufferable George Will.

Reading the quotes from Kansans, I was struck by the fact that the speakers could just as easily be referring to NYC or SF. There are profound cultural and political divides within as well as without the U.S. (one of the more ironic ones being that I know many conservative Republicans who don't share the administration's loyalty to Israel). But that doesn't invalidate the author's main thesis, which seems spot-on.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I'm not Timo but I'm a big Simpsons fan. Isn't it the one where the teachers go on strike and the community have to teach the classes? Groundkeeper Willie taught French and began class with:

Bonjooooooooooore, ya cheese eatin' surrender monkeys!
That's right... I remember that now.

Ugh, my Simpsons trivia knowledge is slipping... Where is that 3rd Season DVD? I guess it's back to watching the syndicated reruns.

Thanks Simey!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 02:09 PM

damn. I thought this was about cheese.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
It still can be...

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV
Heh...tricked you with something nutritious, eh? Like those pellet cereals at the health food store masquerading as Rice Krispies...

Anyway, it's interesting how the Simpsons sinks into this stuff...not such a big divide between the satirists and the policy-makers, perhaps.

andi*pandi
Jan 27, 2003, 03:03 PM

I thought it was about cheese too. Damnit, you tricked me into a political thread! I might learn something! NOOOOooooOOOOooo!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2003, 03:03 PM

Is there really any anti-European sentiment amoung Americans? I haven't noticed any, and I sure don't harbour any myself.

bewebste
Senior User
Jan 27, 2003, 06:36 PM

I love the episode where Lisa bursts into a French class only to realize she's in the wrong school. The whole class starts laughing, "Ha ha ha ha!", and the teacher stops them and say "Uh uh uh, en Fran�ais", and so the class starts laughing the snooty nasal French laugh "Hoh hoh hoh hoh!". Classic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules