Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread!

Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread! (Page 6)
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by arainert:
How can I find the magic waybill number? Is it a number other than my airborne number that seems to be Trapped in Taiwan?

Thanks,

a
Look at your invoice from Apple.. right about the middle there is a Waybill number. . .

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Seriously though I feel for you guys, I had the same experience with my rev.A 17". It is worth the wait.
Give me FEDEX everytime.

And we (hopefully) will forget this nitemare and enjoy our gear when it arrives.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

arainert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 09:40 PM

Thanks!

You guys are the best. So if it cleared customs in Chicago today... what does that mean about it arriving in Brooklyn, NY. Has it actually left to come to me or is it still going to Franklin Park and THEN to me. Arg.

Everyone should use Airborne - it's so clear and easy to understand.

Here's the info:

9/24/03
4:29 pm Cleared Customs.__ Chicago,_IL
2:06 pm In Transit.__ Chicago,_IL
2:04 pm Arrived at Airborne Sta. Chicago,_IL

9/23/03
3:25 pm Left Airborne Sta. Taoyuan,_Taiwan
1:20 pm Broker was Notified.__Chicago,_IL
2:00 pm Picked Up by Airborne.Shipper's Door
www.monoki.com

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 09:46 PM

Thanks!

You guys are the best. So if it cleared customs in Chicago today... what does that mean about it arriving in Brooklyn, NY. Has it actually left to come to me or is it still going to Franklin Park and THEN to me. Arg.
Mine never showed its arrival in Franklin Park, but I'm pretty sure it got there because on the 22nd it was in Chicago and on its way to FP... and my tracking number started working this morning which showed, like the guy on Page 5 of this thread (towards the bottom) that it left Taiwan... and then, yesterday sometime, left "shipper's door," which I am assuming is the FP distro center, for my house here in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Check your regular number... once it shows "left shipper's door" on a date AFTER leaving Taiwan.. probably sometime this afternoon it will say, it is probably en-route to you, from what I've gathered.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 10:02 PM

Mine has not hit stateside yet, but i should see it monday

Does apple refund shipping if it doesnt show up in 2 days?

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Bruck:
Mine has not hit stateside yet, but i should see it monday

Does apple refund shipping if it doesnt show up in 2 days?
From what I have been told, they promise 2 day shipping from the time it is in the U.S. not from oversees. Seems like a scam to get $15 out of their customers.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

jyvin563
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:17 PM

I ordered mine on the 9/18, it shipped on 9/20, and received it today...if that makes any sense to those who ordered before me and have yet to receive their books. Also, the only time I got any information out of Airborne was when I called their international number. I know someone posted the number on page 5 of this thread. They knew exactly what was up with my shipment. Well good luck all. The wait is worth it!
"While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."

Leo Gomes

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:18 PM

Waveman, I should have said thanks more clearly for the information you had --- maybe if we all piece together our fragments of information, we can infer what the hell is going on.

Mine is shipping to my U's dock; this is good and bad. Good, because there is always someone there when the truck comes. Bad, because if it comes after 3:00, I won't get it until the next day. Good, however, because if I know it is there, I can go over and get it personally. But there's the rub: Airborne's information won't tell me it's there until it has been there a while.

I'm thinking Friday now. I have a short presentation tomorrow, for which I will have to rely on my venerable Pismo. Actually, getting it Friday after 12 would be great, as my last class for the week starts then, and it will prevent me wasting time I don't have. After class I have all weekend.

I've been using Mozilla for checking. Jeez, I hope the dang site isn't that dependent on the browser!

[Edit] I just checked on IE, Moz, Camino and Safari, with the same result on all of them....

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:19 PM

From what I have been told, they promise 2 day shipping from the time it is in the U.S. not from oversees. Seems like a scam to get $15 out of their customers.

Apple phone rep told me-everthing is two days delivery-once it hits the mainland U.S.

arainert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 10:20 PM

Am I the only bonehead that did 3-5 day shipping?
www.monoki.com

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
Apple phone rep told me-everthing is two days delivery-once it hits the mainland U.S.
Sounds like the old George Carlin bit about if you don't go to church on Sunday but cross the international date line and then go to church did you commit a sin or not?
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by machem:

Mine is shipping to my U's dock; this is good and bad. Good, because there is always someone there when the truck comes. Bad, because if it comes after 3:00, I won't get it until the next day. Good, however, because if I know it is there, I can go over and get it personally. But there's the rub: Airborne's information won't tell me it's there until it has been there a while.

B]
They are probably at your school within 1/2 hour of a regular time every day. I'm sure there are regularly scheduled pick-ups and deliveries to your U. Find out the time from shipping/receiving-and try to be there when they come.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:29 PM

Sounds like the old George Carlin bit about if you don't go to church on Sunday but cross the international date line and then go to church did you commit a sin or not?

LOL...yeah it does!

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:30 PM

They are probably at your school within 1/2 hour of a regular time every day. I'm sure there are regularly scheduled pick-ups and deliveries to your U. Find out the time from shipping/receiving-and try to be there when they come.
This I know. 2-2:30 PM.

Do you think my colleagues who get Dells care about things like this?

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nstehle:
[B]Mine never showed its arrival in Franklin Park, but I'm pretty sure it got there because on the 22nd it was in Chicago and on its way to FP...

Is that ...Chicago City, Taiwan??!

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
[B]
Originally posted by nstehle:
Mine never showed its arrival in Franklin Park, but I'm pretty sure it got there because on the 22nd it was in Chicago and on its way to FP...

Is that ...Chicago City, Taiwan??!
Do I detect a morsel of elation creeping into this thread?

However, The ALPB15'er is for my daughter in Pa--and I won't be there to see her face light up when it arrives-much less see it in action.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 10:46 PM

Do I detect a morsel of elation creeping into this thread?

However, The ALPB15'er is for my daughter in Pa--and I won't be there to see her face light up when it arrives-much less see it in action.
Gee I don't know I usually give my kids the old Mac's and keep the new ones for myself. I convince myself that it would be good for them to have a computer, but they really don't need a "brand new" one, but my old one would be good. Oh, but then I don't have one. I guess I'll have to buy a new one so that I can give them my old one. I've even branched out to giving my in-laws "new" computers so I can actually get the new computer. Pathological. no?
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 10:57 PM

Gee I don't know I usually give my kids the old Mac's and keep the new ones for myself. I convince myself that it would be good for them to have a computer, but they really don't need a "brand new" one, but my old one would be good. Oh, but then I don't have one. I guess I'll have to buy a new one so that I can give them my old one. I've even branched out to giving my in-laws "new" computers so I can actually get the new computer. Pathological. no?
Well, she probably does the most (creative) with a computer-out of my 3 kids (ibook, 450 imac, G4 QS). I've always kept my kids as close to the best Apple has to offer. Myself too. (G5 10/10 or sooner or later)

Waveman
Sep 24, 2003, 11:02 PM

I'm thinking Friday now. I have a short presentation tomorrow, for which I will have to rely on my venerable Pismo. Actually, getting it Friday after 12 would be great, as my last class for the week starts then, and it will prevent me wasting time I don't have. After class I have all weekend.
It sounds like we're in the same boat. I've been relying on a dying Pismo for presentations, which is the main reason for the new PB. I'm also at a university, but I'm pretty sure that the Airborne delivery people bring shipments directly to individual offices, not to a loading dock.

However, that wasn't the case at several of my previous jobs. What I used to do was call someone at the loading dock and ask them to call or page me when a particularly important shipment arrived. They were usually very helpful.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2003, 11:02 PM

Well, she probably does the most (creative) with a computer-out of my 3 kids (ibook, 450 imac, G4 QS). I've always kept my kids as close to the best Apple has to offer. Myself too. (G5 10/10 or sooner or later)
Oh good, I was afraid you were going to say you were still using a Plus and had no plan to upgrade.
- Ernst Jan Plugge

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:07 PM

Oh good, I was afraid you were going to say you were still using a Plus and had no plan to upgrade.
hmmm....G4 double 500. I did like that first performa.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 11:11 PM

Am I the only bonehead that did 3-5 day shipping?
This is the option I chose, however, it has been upgraded twice. I now have priority overnite shipping.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

arainert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 11:15 PM

how'd you upgrade? and where can you see that info?
www.monoki.com

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
This is the option I chose, however, it has been upgraded twice. I now have priority overnite shipping.

Must be nice it just says mine is in Taiwan and I ordered the day of with 2 days shipping. Some bullshit if you ask me.

My ipod didn't make it in the time it should have.

I call apple and airbum and they have nothing to tell me. It was stupid on apple's part to go with this company. Its giving me a first time bad impression of apple, being a switcher.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Waveman:
It sounds like we're in the same boat. I've been relying on a dying Pismo for presentations, which is the main reason for the new PB. I'm also at a university, but I'm pretty sure that the Airborne delivery people bring shipments directly to individual offices, not to a loading dock.

However, that wasn't the case at several of my previous jobs. What I used to do was call someone at the loading dock and ask them to call or page me when a particularly important shipment arrived. They were usually very helpful.
They used to deliver directly -- in fact this Pismo I have here came directly to my stockroom. At some point in the past they stopped doing this.

Could be worse. All PCs must go through our campus IT department which "prepare" them for the end user. One of my colleagues went through an incredible series of hoops in order to get a machine he could do routine calculations on (cheaper than the "recommended system", too). All I have to do is have my college IT guy "approve" my order. He knows how stupid it is, so that is no problem. I don't even get the "why can't you just get a PC" question any more.

unchi2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:00 AM

I placed an order for a 1.33ghz 17' alubook with 5400 drive (BTO), Dev Discount, on 9/17

9/22 in transit Taipei, Taiwan
9/23 Picked by Airborne in Apple, IL

Still waiting...

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:09 AM

I am way too impatient to wait for slow online orders so I picked up my 15" 1Ghz Combo today from my local Apple store. I had originally made an order for the PB yesterday afternoon and was told it would ship same day with 2 day shipping. I never received an order email from Apple so I called the store today to find out what was wrong and the sales rep I had talked to didnt put my email right.... I was a bit upset when he told me I wouldn't see my PB until mid next week so I tried cancelling my order. He offered me 75 dollars off my order which had the 10GB iPod and the HP printer. I cancelled about an hour later when my local Apple store called to tell me they had 15 inch combos in stock... I am now typing on my new 15" and i am very impressed, with the PB....... the KB is a bit weird but I will get used to it soon enough.......

Its good to finally have it
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:22 AM

$75 off?? WTF??? I want my $75 off! And you still got it b4 me!
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 12:43 AM

Bored while waiting for your new Aluminum beauty? Try this new fun-filled game:

Find your Shipper's Reference number.
Open a new Airborne Tracking window.
Change one of the last few digits, and enter it into the "Track by Reference" tab/pane.
Find another expectant Aluminum Powerbook purchaser!

Almost like pen pals!

[Edit]

Actually, doing this for a few minutes, I found a 'book noted as leaving L.A.("Left Airborne Station"), going to Davis (nearby), which was scanned in Taipei the same time mine was. Perhaps that was in the same pallet as mine (which means mine is coming up here too?).
( Last edited by machem; Sep 25, 2003 at 12:51 AM. )

ZackVLion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:19 AM

for what its worth...i ordered my 15" superdrive standard config on the 17th (education store online) and got it 2 days ago on the 22nd. i got the shipment email on the 18th. my 10gig ipod came the next day (yesterday).

overall, i love the machine. a huge speed jump from my ibook 700. feels very well put together, no dead pixels, etc. i also love my ipod. i got it because of the education deal, and didnt know how much i would use it, but man, ive taken it with me just about everywhere. i love it too.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 08:37 AM

Bored while waiting for your new Aluminum beauty? Try this new fun-filled game:

Find your Shipper's Reference number.
Open a new Airborne Tracking window.
Change one of the last few digits, and enter it into the "Track by Reference" tab/pane.
Find another expectant Aluminum Powerbook purchaser!

Almost like pen pals!

[Edit]

Actually, doing this for a few minutes, I found a 'book noted as leaving L.A.("Left Airborne Station"), going to Davis (nearby), which was scanned in Taipei the same time mine was. Perhaps that was in the same pallet as mine (which means mine is coming up here too?).
Haha...That's funny! I can see that others are getting the same exact crappy info on their shipment as me.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 08:59 AM

Great Game!!!!

Ha i thought maybe it was just me, but none of the nearby tracking #'s have any info today!!! ARG AIRBORNE SUCKS....

hehe

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 09:29 AM

Just checked my order status. I have been apparently been upgraded to Priority Overnight from the airborne 2 day. Or is the two day airborne thing listed as overnight in everyone's order status. Just a thought, hadn't paid a great deal of attention to it between the G5 order I had then cancelled (about two weeks of waiting before I changed my mind) and the week or so I've waited thus far.

I wasn't aware Overnight was even an option. Maybe Apple is doing this as a means of adding more value to people whose orders they will be unable to fulfill in a timely manner? Just a thought.

My order is still scheduled to ship on or before September 26th. Maybe I'll be suprised when I get off from work tonight.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

LlamaBoy
Sep 25, 2003, 09:41 AM

Argh!! Damn you Airborne! Where is my Powerbook, my precious??

The Airburn tracking page says on 9/24 at 4:59pm it was "picked up at shipper's door", but the Shipping Method still says "Ground". So I basically have no clue when I will get it. Since I paid for 2-day shipping, is that two days from 9/24, or two days from 9/22 when it left Taipei?

Where is my precious???

scott brown
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 09:45 AM

well i should have had it yesterday and been able to post 5400rpm benchmarks for the 17, but mine was sent from chicago to NY via GROUND, even though I paid for 2 day. now it's 8 miles from my house. if they don't deliver today.....

so i should be able to post the benchmarks today on the 5400rpm if anyone still cares anymore
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by scott brown:
.... so i should be able to post the benchmarks today on the 5400rpm if anyone still cares anymore
Of course we care ... post 'em!
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

ctishue21
Sep 25, 2003, 10:06 AM

Yes please post benchmarks!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 10:30 AM

My tracking number just got updated. If it is to be believed, it is on its way to my door right now!! If I didn't have so much work to do, I'd go hang out in the mailroom this morning and watch for the airborne truck.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 10:37 AM

Mine, too, is out for delivery this morning.

Looks like I was able to study to study the two shipping numbers and predict the arrival date more accurately than did the folks over at Airborne Express. That is an incredibly incompetent bunch of losers.

Regardless, I'll love them when my PowerBook 15" 1GHz shows up at the door later this morning or this afternoon. :-)

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 10:44 AM

Dear Valued Apple Customer,

Thank you for placing your Apple Store Order W59XXXXXX

We need your response to continue processing your order.

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following
item(s) by the last date you were quoted:

M8980LL/A, PBG4 15"/1.0GHZ/256/60/COMBO/BT-USA
will now ship on or before 10/03/2003

If you prefer, you may change or cancel your order anytime before it
is shipped. If you cancel your order, you will receive a prompt
refund.

I order it on 9/23/03 what the :censor

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 11:28 AM

Well, so much for tracking numbers being updated even every 24 hours.... Next time I order anything from Apple, I'm going to spring for the FedEx shipping. Better yet, just get things from the Apple Store if I can. It will be worth saving all the (admittedly self-induced) stress.

Anyone with a Taiwan pickup of the 22nd (or later) get theirs yet? I should have written up a web form where we could all enter what little information we have in order to predict arrivals for everyone.

The seminar I have to give just happens to be across the street from Central Receiving. I've heard that's a good place to practice talks --- good acoustics, large, white walls perfect for projectors, lots of space to walk around. Maybe I'll check it out.

nuraoar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 11:32 AM

I got my pb15 on tuesday 9/23. Actually it arrived on monday 9/22 but was in my apartment office.

I called airborne on monday morning they told me it is scheduled for delivery on tuesday afternoon and should arrive between 12-5. I was ready to write a note to have it delivered to the apt office but called airborne on tuesday. To my surprise, the rep told me my pb had been delivered to my apt office on monday.

I have been playing with it for a while now. I have never owned a mac before and haven't spent a long time with MacOS X before.

Let me tell you I am hooked this is how operating systems for personal computers should be made. The powerbook is how laptops should be made, it would be a sin to do it anyother way.

All the best to all of you waiting for your powerbooks and ipods. I have waited about 10 months to get this baby + a few extra days because apple's contorted shipping information. Let me tell you the wait is worth it, patience is sweet!!

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:03 PM

I just found out that my PB arrived at the local Airborne station this morning. Looks like I might get it earlier than I expected. It just left LAX last night (I live in Santa Rosa, about 8hrs north).

machem: Check your tracking. You may be getting yours today too!!

How will I concentrate on work after I get the PB???

-brian

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
I just found out that my PB arrived at the local Airborne station this morning. Looks like I might get it earlier than I expected. It just left LAX last night (I live in Santa Rosa, about 8hrs north).

machem: Check your tracking. You may be getting yours today too!!

How will I concentrate on work after I get the PB???

-brian
I hope so!

I have been tracking another PB that left Taiwan after mine, went through L.A. (like mine will), but is being delivered a bit north of here.... currently it is Out for delivery 8:29am. I hope that bodes well for mine.... I'll go over to the dock in a little while to see.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 12:30 PM

Wooooooohoooooooo!!!

My PB 17" just got here! I can't wait to start testing it out. If you guys have any questions you would like to ask just post 'em here and I'll respond throughout the day.

ctishue21
Sep 25, 2003, 12:35 PM

Did you get the 5400rpm drive? If so, how is the battery life and could you run a benchmark on it. I'm dieing to order one or go pick up a stock model. I just need to know how the 5400rpm performs first.

Thanks!

clf8
Sep 25, 2003, 01:03 PM

By 5pm today, effen Airborne Express. Oh well, I'll just not go to work until it gets here.
-Flowers...

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 01:24 PM

woops....they're a day early. Oh wells...looks like I'll be skipping off work tomorrow:

Shipment History:

9/25/03 8 : 46 am Out for Delivery.
7 : 30 am Arrived at Airborne Station. Santa Clara, CA

9/24/03 6 : 10 pm Left Airborne Station. Los Angeles, CA

9/22/03 8 : 27 pm In Transit. Taipei, Taiwan
Picked Up by Airborne.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

scott brown
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 01:31 PM

my 17inch was delivered to my home, but i won't be there for another 5 hours to test it all out

17 incher, 1 gig ram, 5400 rpm drive
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by ctishue21:
Did you get the 5400rpm drive? If so, how is the battery life and could you run a benchmark on it. I'm dieing to order one or go pick up a stock model. I just need to know how the 5400rpm performs first.

Thanks!
Yes, I did get it with the 5400 RPM drive. Right now I'm typing on my TiBook, as I'm partitioning the drive on the new PB. Once I've got stuff loaded and I have the battery calibrated, I'll post some comments.

Forum Links
Forum Rules