Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread!

Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread! (Page 7)
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 01:35 PM

Isn't that just ducky! My 15" 1.25, 5400 PB has arrived this morning at College Station TX ...
The only problem is I'm in Portland, Maine!
'and I was so excited when it cleared customs yesterday in Chicago
9/25/03
9:04 am
Arrived at Airborne Station.__
College_Station,_TX
9/24/03
4:27 pm
Cleared Customs.__
Chicago,_IL

2:06 pm
In Transit.__
Chicago,_IL

2:03 pm
Arrived at Airborne Station.__
Chicago,_IL
9/23/03
3:25 pm
Left Airborne Station.__
Taoyuan,_Taiwan

1:18 pm
Broker was Notified.__
Chicago,_IL

2:00 pm
Picked Up by Airborne.
Shipper's Door
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:39 PM

Just to let everyone know. I called Apple today to cancel my order for my Powerbook 15" 1Ghz due to the delay in shipping. I just ordered it on 9/23 and now it says will ship on or before 10/03 -

Anyway I called them to cancel and the customer rep said she can offer me some free software if I dont cancel. I then asked her If I can get a free accessory instead and she said sure. So they are now sending me a FREE New Apple Wireless Keyboard with my Powerbook purchase.

I can wait another week for a FREE APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD $70 Value..

How awesome is that.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 01:58 PM

15" BTO

80 gig 4500rpm
SD
ect

ordered on 18th (last thursday)
delivered today 25th
took exactly one week from order till delivery.
Pretty good I guess

That is a nice free upgrade though
I personally like my MS bluetooth mouse with scroll wheel and two buttons

Force

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 02:02 PM

Just a quick initial comment on the PB 17". While installing stuff, the fan has come on briefly a couple of times. I wouldn't say it is noisy, but it makes a strange "purring" sound as opposed to a "whirring" sound. Almost as if the fan blades are hitting something in the fan housing. Not a huge issue, but something worth noting.

PLin
Sep 25, 2003, 02:04 PM

I ordered a 15-inch 1.25GHz with one 512MB SODIMM and 80GB 5400rpm drive at 6PM EST on the day of release. It shipped out from Taiwan on 9/22, and I just received it today, 9/25.

I ordered an iPod the same day, which shipped from Shanghai on 9/18 and is still nowhere to be found.

Peter

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:07 PM

Seems like Apple has upgraded the two day shipping I selected w/ my order to "Priority Overnight" for Free and without asking..

mikasa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:14 PM

i think apple needs to get their act together with all the shipping times and extended dates.
i ordered mine early monday and up until yesterday kept getting daily emails with a new "on or before" ship date.
i gave up, canceled and ran to the store they luckily had the 15 in stock w/superdrive.

this is NOT the first time. it happened the first time i ordered a PB15 as well.

oh well.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:31 PM

Amazon.com is showing all Powerbooks in Stock. Is this true?

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 03:32 PM

Airborne really doesn't have it's scat together. I just called again, as someone I know at Apple told me my PB cleared customs in L.A. this morning. That, coupled with similar PB tracking information made me think I might get it by tomorrow. I just wanted reinforcement of this.

The A/B clerk told me it is still "in transit" and hasn't even arrived in the U.S. yet (the A/B tracking site shows it leaving Taiwan 9/22). She wasn't even interested in hearing what Apple (both the Customer Service people and the other person) told me. Dismissive, bordering on rude. Pah!

Sucks, because the last A/B person I spoke with two days ago was very nice. BTW, she told me the PB would arrive in L.A. that morning.

Any information I could trust, just one single scrap of information that was consistient with another would be nice. Hearing ten different things is very frustrating.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 03:32 PM

I'm pissed to tell you the truth. I ordered my pb bto with the 5400 rpm hd the an hour after keynotes with the 2 day shipping on everything I ordered, but it stats ground shipping on the tracking numbers.
My Ipod SHIPPED the 9/19 AND HAS YET TO MAKE IT?!?! Tomorrow it will BE 1 WEEK?!?!
My powerbook shipped out on 23rd and it says its at the shippers door as of yesterday. Still this is still bullshit.
Neither of them have any idea where my items are. Apple obviously knew of this problem when they started shipping their powerbooks, they should have solved it quickly by moving to a different mailing service.
Also to hear the fact that most peoples shipping has been upped and all my shipping is listed as ground is ridiculous.
( Last edited by Sakino; Sep 25, 2003 at 03:41 PM. )

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 03:51 PM

Nice to see your rowing with me in the same boat Sakino. I am also frustrated with Airborne in that their tracking system is the biggest pos I have ever seen. You call them up and they tell you "we will have information in 48 hours" then you call back in 48 hours and they say the same damn thing. I have been polite with all the Airborne reps as well until this morning when a lady told me "you called 24 hours ago and that representative told you 48 hours". I was like excuuuuuuse me biatch, you have $3000 worth of equipment of mine and its not your job to give lip, just tell us where our packages are. Anyhow my ipod shipped on the 19th as well and nothing yet. I dont even know why I check my package anymore, I think I am just going to start the weekend early, go out get hammered and enjoy myself. Enough worrying about these damn machines. If I was the only one in this boat however I would be one pissed man. I was even going to drive an hour and a half away to pick up a albook from the closest apple store. They said I could still get the educational discount through them even though it hasnt been a year since I have used my discount. My current order is through ADC and the rep told me I could refuse delivery and have it sent back and they would still give me my 20% future discount at a later time even though I would still accept the ipod at $100 off. Maybe I should just buy everything at the apple store, refuse the shipment of the ipod and the laptop. If I do this however then I wouldnt get my 5400rpm drive, decisions, decisions. I guess I dont need this computer for the weekend, just growing a little impatient.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
Nice to see your rowing with me in the same boat Sakino. I am also frustrated with Airborne in that their tracking system is the biggest pos I have ever seen. You call them up and they tell you "we will have information in 48 hours" then you call back in 48 hours and they say the same damn thing. I have been polite with all the Airborne reps as well until this morning when a lady told me "you called 24 hours ago and that representative told you 48 hours". I was like excuuuuuuse me biatch, you have $3000 worth of equipment of mine and its not your job to give lip, just tell us where our packages are. Anyhow my ipod shipped on the 19th as well and nothing yet. I dont even know why I check my package anymore, I think I am just going to start the weekend early, go out get hammered and enjoy myself. Enough worrying about these damn machines. If I was the only one in this boat however I would be one pissed man. I was even going to drive an hour and a half away to pick up a albook from the closest apple store. They said I could still get the educational discount through them even though it hasnt been a year since I have used my discount. My current order is through ADC and the rep told me I could refuse delivery and have it sent back and they would still give me my 20% future discount at a later time even though I would still accept the ipod at $100 off. Maybe I should just buy everything at the apple store, refuse the shipment of the ipod and the laptop. If I do this however then I wouldnt get my 5400rpm drive, decisions, decisions. I guess I dont need this computer for the weekend, just growing a little impatient.

I hope it comes tomorrow, if not my weekend of studying is going to take a long time. I hate hand writing notes, and prefer to type **** up.

I know one thing, tomorrow its time to get WASTED?!?!

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 04:13 PM

Tell me about it Sakino, I type all my class notes on my apple portables, and right now I am up a river without a paddle so to speak. I had 3 midterms this week and I was looking forward to getting my machine today in celebration of being done with the week. Guess Airborne decided otherwise. I suggest you do what I am going to do, get a handle of vodka and possibly some herbals and waste away the weekend I dont really expect to see our hardware until next week, if its later than next week well this will be my face followed by this to Apple and Airborne I love apple just wish they would be realistic, this is the first time I have experianced this with apple so I guess I can deal with it once.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
Tell me about it Sakino, I type all my class notes on my apple portables, and right now I am up a river without a paddle so to speak. I had 3 midterms this week and I was looking forward to getting my machine today in celebration of being done with the week. Guess Airborne decided otherwise. I suggest you do what I am going to do, get a handle of vodka and possibly some herbals and waste away the weekend I dont really expect to see our hardware until next week, if its later than next week well this will be my face followed by this to Apple and Airborne I love apple just wish they would be realistic, this is the first time I have experianced this with apple so I guess I can deal with it once.
Ohh trust me I got a 1/2 a bottle of kettle one, picking up another handle for tomorrow night. Gotta luv college.

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 04:17 PM

Indeed my brother, very much so. Well cheers to a vodka laced weekend. Its officially a race now as well, who will get their ipod and albook first you or me Time will tell. Peace

beefstu01
Sep 25, 2003, 04:24 PM

It's HERE!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Victory! I'm playing with it right now, and I'm very very impressed. I love the feel of the keyboard, and the look of the machine. I'll post more about it later once I get around to playing with it. I am officially BACK to Apple (my last Apple computer was a IIci, yeah, that's old).

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 04:29 PM

Here is what pisses me off. Check this number at A/B site:

Now check this one (mine)

Mine left earlier from Taiwan. Other than that, they are coming through the same place (LA), and going out to a station (Sacramento/Mather vs. Stockton), then out to delivery.

It seems to me that one had its information scanned often, the other (mine) not at all.

Our A/B delivery comes in the morning, so it won't be today, but tomorrow would be nice.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
It's HERE!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Victory! I'm playing with it right now, and I'm very very impressed. I love the feel of the keyboard, and the look of the machine. I'll post more about it later once I get around to playing with it. I am officially BACK to Apple (my last Apple computer was a IIci, yeah, that's old).

How long did the order take?

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by machem:
Here is what pisses me off. Check this number at A/B site:

Now check this one (mine)

Mine left earlier from Taiwan. Other than that, they are coming through the same place (LA), and going out to a station (Sacramento/Mather vs. Stockton), then out to delivery.

It seems to me that one had its information scanned often, the other (mine) not at all.

Our A/B delivery comes in the morning, so it won't be today, but tomorrow would be nice.
I couldnt find any powerbook orders around my tracking number :/

Alerosport.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:44 PM

Ordered my PB 12 inch today should be 7 to 11 days.... will see bout that. I got a 80 gig harddrive and a Airport Extreme Card added to it! so that should be enough space... for a little bit

my buddy/manager oerderd a 15 inch one and my brother orderd a 17 inch model both theres was 1 to 2 days for shipment lucky them
www.AleroSport.com
PB 12" 1GHz 80gig/and superdrive!
Sold the 867 Quicksilver
for sale-- ATI 9000

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 04:49 PM

Don't try and pick a new tracking number -- choose the "Shipper's Reference" and vary that one. I think there is a pattern to the TNs, but the Reference numbers are more nearly consecutive.

For example

They seem to be

124XXXX YNZN X

These correspond to a set of SR numbers that are 80080288XX.

Anyway, I like looking at numbers, this is just what I've noticed with a quick glance.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 04:56 PM

machem.

Where are you finding these numbers?

beefstu01
Sep 25, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by gsingh:
How long did the order take?
I ordered the laptop custom about 2 hours after the keynote. Shipped on Monday, got here Thursday.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
I ordered the laptop custom about 2 hours after the keynote. Shipped on Monday, got here Thursday.
Well thats some bs.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
machem.

Where are you finding these numbers?
Scan up a bit, I explain in some detail above.

Basically, take the shipper's reference (not the tracking number), change your # a bit, find other powerbooks. Compare. Get pissed. Complain to friends. Repeat.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 05:23 PM

Ah. Got ya. Thanks.

corruptmedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 05:37 PM

Got my Powerbook 17" today (5,400rpm HD, 1gb of ram). Shipped on the 22nd. Man, I couldn't be more stoked with this machine. Clean eloquent and no dead pixels of imperfections whatsoever. Its mighty fast in photoshop and fcp. Also this is coming off a dp 533, 1.25 gb of ram. If you have any questions, ask.,

Drew

bonk
Sep 25, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by corruptmedia:
Got my Powerbook 17" today (5,400rpm HD, 1gb of ram). Shipped on the 22nd. Man, I couldn't be more stoked with this machine. Clean eloquent and no dead pixels of imperfections whatsoever. Its mighty fast in photoshop and fcp. Also this is coming off a dp 533, 1.25 gb of ram. If you have any questions, ask.,

Drew
How much faster than your DP 533? I'm coming from a DP500, 576mb ram, and ordered a 17" this week. I'm curious as to how much more speed I'll get. I'm always working in PS and FCP.

corruptmedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 06:53 PM

A lot faster. No not really, I cant really say yet. The interface is alot quicker though and fcp/ps seem to be running a little faster. I cant really say though as I havent used this machine nearly enough. I was doing some pretty heavy effects in fcp4 though and it went unlimited 0 frames dropped. memory rules!

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 07:10 PM

(I posted this to Spymac too, just so you know).

Totally unscientific survey of many (don't ask me how many) Shipping numbers tells me if you get the notation:

9/24/03 3:32 pm Picked Up by Airborne. Shipper's Door

You will receive your PowerBook for delivery the next day. Everytime I saw this, it got delivered the next day, without exception.

These start showing up in the morning after the date specified, when they show up at the delivery (local) sub-station.

For example, this particular line (above) showed up on-line this morning.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Waveman
Sep 25, 2003, 07:15 PM

Well, my daily futile attempt at obtaining information from Airborne is getting old.

My PB cleared customs yesterday, but my tracking number still shows that it's "in transit" in Taiwan. The Airborne guy gives me the standard "check in 24 hours" line - very frustrating.

I'm currently on hold with Apple to try to get more info - the wait time is 42 minutes! At least I can use hands free and surf while I'm waiting. (Apple should consider giving a verbal update for hold time periodically.)

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Waveman:
Well, my daily futile attempt at obtaining information from Airborne is getting old.

My PB cleared customs yesterday, but my tracking number still shows that it's "in transit" in Taiwan. The Airborne guy gives me the standard "check in 24 hours" line - very frustrating.

I'm currently on hold with Apple to try to get more info - the wait time is 42 minutes! At least I can use hands free and surf while I'm waiting. (Apple should consider giving a verbal update for hold time periodically.)
Mine cleared customs last night/this morning, but I didn't find that out from Airborne. Hopefully yours will come tomorrow --- like I said, the data I've been looking at indicates this.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 07:30 PM

I hope so!

I have been tracking another PB that left Taiwan after mine, went through L.A. (like mine will), but is being delivered a bit north of here.... currently it is Out for delivery 8:29am. I hope that bodes well for mine.... I'll go over to the dock in a little while to see.
Well, I'm astonished..... my daughters ALPB15'er will be delivered tomorrow, 9/26--ending a saga that began 4:30AM 9/16EDT.

Amen.

AND--Explorer 5 gave me detailed tracking info - over Safari-on Airbum's page. Why I dunno.

Good luck to all you Mac people with your soon to be delivered, new, beautiful ALPB. Thanks for all the shared info.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 08:38 PM

... Explorer 5 gave me detailed tracking info - over Safari-on Airbum's page. Why I dunno ... [/B]
I get identical (scant 'thought it may be) info from both Safari and Explorer ... Dual USB iBook 500 ...

... waiting for my new PB
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 08:58 PM

Awwww yeah. Mine just arrived and is awaiting me at home tonight.
Thankfully, I don't have skip off of work tomorrow and come in Saturday anymore.

The 2-day trip is really an excruciating week-long wait...but hopefully it's all well worth this wait, the wait for the 15" release announcement, and the $2K+ earned in blood. =D

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
Well, I'm astonished..... my daughters ALPB15'er will be delivered tomorrow, 9/26--ending a saga that began 4:30AM 9/16EDT.

Amen.

AND--Explorer 5 gave me detailed tracking info - over Safari-on Airbum's page. Why I dunno.

Good luck to all you Mac people with your soon to be delivered, new, beautiful ALPB. Thanks for all the shared info.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

xtoph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 09:00 PM

Those who are still waiting on iPods you ordered alongside your PowerBooks -- are they all 40 GB models? Has anyone gotten their 40 GB iPods yet?

Both my PowerBook and iPod 40 "shipped" on 9/18, and although the PowerBook arrived on 9/23, the iPod still hasn't (and its status hasn't changed since the 18th.)

By the way Airborn's website _still_ thinks my PowerBook is in transit even though it arrived two days ago... so don't trust their tracking site!

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 09:03 PM

CONTACT!

My BTO 15" 1.25/2x256mb/combo arrived today at 1100 MST.

Airborne still, as of this post 1900 MST still lists it at their Texas sort facility.

It was ordered on 9/16 0930 MST and was shipped out of Taiwan (according to Apple) on 9/22 in the AM MST

Had a pretty busy day today so will be spending the evening with it.

First Impression:

Screen is AMAZING.(actually too bright at 100%... i am running it at 60%)

KB is like butter! Not dark enough yet for the KB backlight.

Machine is appears much faster than my DP 533/768mb with ATI 9000 Pro

Cheers All!

toby

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 09:31 PM

Well, I get to test my theory about shipping times. My PB just went into "Left Airborne Station" L.A. I should have it tomorrow!

I'm pretty confident about this, so everyone who is still waiting, look for that magic statement on their tracking notice!

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 10:24 PM

I just got off the phone with airborne, my powerbook should be here tomorrow.
While my ipod seems to be missing. It has been in China since the 9/19 with 2 day shipping? So go explain that one? What do you suggest I do about the ipod?

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
While my ipod seems to be missing. It has been in China since the 9/19 with 2 day shipping? So go explain that one? What do you suggest I do about the ipod?
Well, demand a new one. Unfortunately, they will probably wait 30 days or some such to send you a new one. They may want proof of it disappearing also (however they can get that, I don't know).

Are you EDU? If so, work through your rep, even if you didn't use them. If not, try and go to an Apple Store. If you have to do it over the phone, insist on a supervisor, even if they tell you they want to wait a while for it to show up.

They should be able to track the whole pallet it was on, and if the others on the pallet aren't lost, that may help you out.

Sucks, though. Sorry.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 10:42 PM

I think your iPod is in the same shipment as mine. If the waybill number on your iPod invoice e-mail is 325275252, then there have finally been updates on the tracking. Using the individual tracking # shows 9/19 and in transit still. And apple is using ground shipment for something I paid 2day shipping. Anyways when I call to bitch about my 12" delay, I'm gonna get the measly $15 bucks shipping refunded.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 11:26 PM

Well, demand a new one. Unfortunately, they will probably wait 30 days or some such to send you a new one. They may want proof of it disappearing also (however they can get that, I don't know).

Are you EDU? If so, work through your rep, even if you didn't use them. If not, try and go to an Apple Store. If you have to do it over the phone, insist on a supervisor, even if they tell you they want to wait a while for it to show up.

They should be able to track the whole pallet it was on, and if the others on the pallet aren't lost, that may help you out.

Sucks, though. Sorry.
I actually ordered adc, i'm hoping its just stuck up in customs. I will give it till till the middle of next week and then demand a new one.

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 11:42 PM

I think I messed up somehow! I ordered my BTO 15"/1.25Ghz/1 stick 1 gig RAM/80gig 5400 HD on September 21st and the shipping date shows "on or before 11.04.03" I have to wait 6 weeks!!?? What'd I do wrong?! I read above somewhere that the 1 stick of RAM is slowing things down. Is this true? Should I call the Apple store and alter my order to get my book sooner, and buy more RAM somewhere else?

-tm

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by tumblemonster:
I think I messed up somehow! I ordered my BTO 15"/1.25Ghz/1 stick 1 gig RAM/80gig 5400 HD on September 21st and the shipping date shows "on or before 11.04.03" I have to wait 6 weeks!!?? What'd I do wrong?! I read above somewhere that the 1 stick of RAM is slowing things down. Is this true? Should I call the Apple store and alter my order to get my book sooner, and buy more RAM somewhere else?

-tm
What did you get, 2x512 or 1x1024?

Someone (I think here, maybe Spymac) did an analysis that said getting a certain combo of RAM from Apple was a good deal. That may be so $$-wise, but time-wise, it doesn't appear so, especially if it is pushing you back to November (?? boy, that seems excessive).

Do a test order w/ 1x512 and the 5400 and see what that gets you. I ordered mine last week and I think I might get it tomorrow. You could even wait a while for 1G RAM sticks to come down if you wanted one of those. 1G should do just fine for most everything.

HTH

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:22 AM

"What did you get, 2x512 or 1x1024?

Someone (I think here, maybe Spymac) did an analysis that said getting a certain combo of RAM from Apple was a good deal. That may be so $$-wise, but time-wise, it doesn't appear so, especially if it is pushing you back to November (?? boy, that seems excessive).

Do a test order w/ 1x512 and the 5400 and see what that gets you. I ordered mine last week and I think I might get it tomorrow. You could even wait a while for 1G RAM sticks to come down if you wanted one of those. 1G should do just fine for most everything."

I ordered it with a single 1024 RAM module. How can I do a test order to get a shipping date? Does it make more sense to call and change my order to 2 512 sticks and buy a bigger module later?

-tm

woodsman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

My iPod was also in Shanghai since 9-19, but now on the Airborne site it shows as being in Chicago as of 9-25. It should be here tomorrow!! Great!!!!!

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by tumblemonster:

I ordered it with a single 1024 RAM module. How can I do a test order to get a shipping date? Does it make more sense to call and change my order to 2 512 sticks and buy a bigger module later?

-tm
Go to the Apple Store online (is this how you ordered the other one??), and select a new machine, just don't submit it, use the "Save for Later". Anyway, once you get to the last page, which shows all that you've assembled, it will give you a shipping date, viz:

http://onsager.cop.uop.edu/~mccallum/scrot.jpg

I think your best bet both time-wise and $-wise is to get 1x512 stick and buy another from Other World, Crucial or someone else (approx $100). I'm partial to OWC, but Crucial is very good also.

HTH

skateray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:52 AM

MISSING iPod Theory:

Becuase our iPods shipped only a few days prior to our powerbooks, maybe Apple is holding the iPods at the distribution centers to be delivered with the Powerbooks. This may mean decreased shipping costs, so maybe that is another reason they are upgrading people's shipping.

I am getting really frustrated. I can't make sense of this shipping process. Also, airborn's tracking system has taken all the FUN out of tracking a package and seeing where it goes. I say "its coming tomorrow" everyday, so I hope it comes tomorrow.

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 01:51 AM

Thats a great idea. I'm going to call and change my order tomorrow. I did a test and 3-5 days vs 4-6 weeks is no contest. I don't need a single stick of RAM anyway!

Thanks!

-tm

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 03:01 AM

I agree with machem on the ram. I got a 512 stick from OWC and just installed it in my new ALbook. No sweat. They are a very good company, very Mac-minded!

I am rooting for all you kids out there who haven't received your ALbooks yet! I know how it is, and believe me, it is worth the wait! I'm still busy installing stuff..I need to go to bed!

May your tracking summary say 'Out for Delivery'!

-brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules