Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do I replace my iPod hard drive?

How do I replace my iPod hard drive?
laieboy
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2005, 11:55 PM

My 10Gig iPod just went out and I would like to swap out the hard drive for a bigger one. Is it hard to do and do I need special tools? Is it even possible or should I just take to the Apple Store and have them fix it? I know it's the hard drive because I can hear it grinding and I'm not able to load any songs into it.

Thanks!

malcolm347
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 12:00 AM

dont waste your time....

just buy a new ipod

laieboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm347
dont waste your time....

just buy a new ipod
Wow, this thing is only a couple of years old and I have to trash it already! Could I expect the same life expectancy from the new video iPod? That would suck if that's the case!

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm347
dont waste your time....

just buy a new ipod

Bad advice. It is not too complicated to replace the drive once you read up on the process.
It is not hard to do it but finding a hard drive may take some work if you don't go through one of the vendors who deal with only ipods. Do a search heree on the forum to see how others have done it or google iPod repair and a whole bunch of vendors will come up.

Also go to iLounge.com - those guys only deal with iPods so they will have better advice to give than the people here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules