Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting external partitions to not mount automatically?

Getting external partitions to not mount automatically?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2009, 05:43 PM

Hello all,

I've got an external HDD with the following partitions:
  1. Backup (Time Machine)
  2. Tiger Install Disc 1
  3. Tiger Install Disc 2
  4. Leopard Install DVD
  5. 10.4.11
  6. 10.5.6
  7. TechTool Deluxe

Now, the Backup partition is the only one I use on a day-to-day basis - the others I keep around for diagnostic, scratch discs, quick reinstalls, etc. However, every time I mount my external drive, all seven partitions come up on the desktop, and I find myself quickly dragging them to the trash to have a cleaner desktop. Is there any way to specify certain partitions to not mount automatically?

Thanks.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
However, every time I mount my external drive, all seven partitions come up on the desktop, and I find myself quickly dragging them to the trash to have a cleaner desktop. Is there any way to specify certain partitions to not mount automatically?
Haven't tried this myself since Tiger... but folks who i trust have confirmed that
the fstab method described by "Hiding Partitions" still works in Leopard.
-HI-

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Hal - I'm confused about the /etc/fstab file though. What format is this, and where do I save it to? :o
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 07:14 PM

It's done through the Terminal, B Gallagher. There is more than one way to hide volumes from showing up in the Finder, though. You can toggle the volume's invisibility flag, for example:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...80124184544791

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2009, 01:02 AM

The down side to this is remembering that the partition exists and how to make it show up when you need it next year. "I could have sworn I had a TechTool partition"

Keep notes.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2009, 01:56 AM

Thanks Big Mac and Gavin. Haha, yes, I have made notes! Big Mac, I actually prefer your method to Hal's, for the simple reason that the partition is still mounted (and shows up in the finder), yet not showing on the desktop. Many thanks.
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2009, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
Thanks Big Mac and Gavin. Haha, yes, I have made notes! Big Mac, I actually prefer your method to Hal's, for the simple reason that the partition is still mounted (and shows up in the finder), yet not showing on the desktop. Many thanks.
I'm confused. If you set the partition to be invisible it will not show up on the desktop, sure. But how come it shows up in the Finder? If it's invisible it shouldn't show up at all in the Finder.

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2009, 05:00 AM

I have no idea, to be honest. But here's what it looks like:
iPhone 4 32GB Black

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2009, 05:31 AM

It's separated via the Finder's Preferences (Show items on Desktop) & (Show these items in Siderbar)

Forum Links
Forum Rules