Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Replacing RAM in iMac

Replacing RAM in iMac
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2000, 11:11 AM

Is it possible/easy to replace RAM in the rev. B iMac, if you, for example, have 32 MB extra installed in the upper slot and you want to replace it with a 128 MB module?

Jacke  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2000, 06:23 PM

Sorry for not being able to search the entire forum in one day. I just signed up to this thing...

Now to find some sort of forum-search...

JonoG4
Senior User
Dec 17, 2000, 08:10 PM

Look uner the post reply button and look right and you will see "SEARCH" . It is hard to see, very small.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 17, 2000, 08:43 PM

It is possible to replace the existing RAM in you iMac. You need to make sure you buy low profile memory though for the one that's already there. There's not a lot of room between the daughter card it slips into and the main board.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Tom Johnson
Owosso, MI

joeswell
Dec 17, 2000, 11:27 PM

It is very possible to add RAm to your Rev B iMac. I've done it twice, but it is a bit of a "bear" if you don't know what you're doing. Take your time. There's a good illustrated set of instructions in the Mac help section on the hard drive. My other advice would be to buy the 128MG DIMM and that way you'll only have to open it up once. Replacing the other RAM that's "buried" inside the guts of the computer isn't worth it, unless you're real confident and aren't as clumsy as me.
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Fredo
Senior User
Dec 18, 2000, 06:57 PM

Evidentally there is a QT movie showing just how to add or replace RAM in your machine. You can find it here: http://machardware.about.com/compute.../aa112700a.htm
Who are the Brain Police?

Sebastien
Dec 18, 2000, 07:10 PM

Wow, I'm amazed there are actual, useful responses. I was expecting only the 'search the forums blah blah blah' type of useless responses.

I would suggest you check Apple's memory guide (available from most mac download sites).

Seb

gorefan68
Banned
Dec 18, 2000, 07:29 PM

Useless? Hardly. I gave really really good detailed instructions about a month ago. Go search. They helped Andi put in RAM... I think it was .... I dunno. Maybe it was someone else.

Anyway SEARCH THE IMAC FORUM FOR MEMORY. All of your questions will be answered. It really does work.

Ca$h

Sebastien
Dec 18, 2000, 10:28 PM

blah blah blah

drclaw
Dec 19, 2000, 01:45 AM

Just ignore it and let someone else answer it Ca$h. No need to jump all over the new guy.

gorefan68
Banned
Dec 19, 2000, 02:20 AM

I'm not, just saying I gave some pretty good directions on how to go about doing this already, and if he would use the search button..... he'd be ahead of the game.

drclaw
Dec 19, 2000, 03:01 AM

Very true.

It seems like there's topics like that on every forum. No sooner does it get buried and someone asks it all over again.

That's no big deal, but what get's me is when someone asks a question that is in fact on that very page! If they'd just look down about 6 topics, they'd see it. I'll admit that is one of my personal pet peeves.

Another is when people post hardware/software questions in the Suggestions/Comments forum! Nothing more irritating than to be reading down through the topics and see a stray "what monitor should I buy?" or "which hard drive is best?" It just seems like a given that you don't post that kind of stuff there. Even a newbie should be able to figure that out.

Anyway, I'm shutting up now

BTW Ca$h, your above post disappeared. Unless you did that I'm guessing the mods axed it. Do they make a habit of that even if your post isn't of the especially nasty variety? Just wondering...

[This message has been edited by drclaw (edited 12-19-2000).]

JonoG4
Senior User
Dec 19, 2000, 08:37 AM

It is really no big deal installing ram in rev. A-D iMacs. If you look at my
topic which should be under this one now, it is quite easy to install ram. I printed the instructions on how to install iMac memory from the Help Center. If you have ever erased your hd and then installed OS 9 or something other than the software that came with your iMac, the help file won't be there anymore. Just put in your software install cd and go into Software Installer folder, Help, iMac Help. Just put that file in your help folder in your system folder. If you don't have the disk anymore the exact same instructions are on Apple's support pages.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

ntsc
Senior User
Dec 19, 2000, 01:29 PM

I need a little help with RAM for a Rev .A Slot Loading iMac. I want to add some RAM to it and I was looking at Apple's site and they say the type to be used is "PC-100 SDRAM, 3.3 volt, unbuffered, 64-bit wide, 168-pin module, maximum height of 50 mm., up to 256 MB capacity." and i have found some quite cheap RAM which is this spec "256 mb 168 pin pc 100 spec ( 8ns access) dim memory module." so what i want to know is can i put this thing in my iMac and expect it to work? Futher more i was thinking about removing the module already there and putting twio in can I do this or does there have to be the factory installed module for the system to work.

Thanks In advance

------------------
"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance"
-Aesop
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

JonoG4
Senior User
Dec 19, 2000, 02:29 PM

Ack..... sorry I was tired when i posted this and thought you had a tray loader
sorry

[This message has been edited by JonoG4 (edited 12-19-2000).]
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Gorilla in the Shell
Dec 28, 2000, 03:34 PM

Is it true that you can have 1gb of ram instead of the standard 512 mb