Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For the Gay Guys, How'd You Meet Mr. Right?

For the Gay Guys, How'd You Meet Mr. Right? (Page 8)
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 05:41 PM

I fear now that Salty is going to have a tough time fitting in.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
How the hell am I a bad stereotypical Christian? Back up your accusations or please shut up. Simply because I don't placate to every random poorly thought out assertion that gay activists decide to start promoting. Nor do I support the random assertions the Church decides to make. I make a point every day to think for myself and not let others do it for me. If you want to mindlessly believe what you want, that's fine, but don't suggesting that I'm any form of stereotype. And for the record, you could ask many people who know me and none of them Christian or none would consider me anywhere near a stereotype, many of my nonchristian friends consider me "one of those Christians" who are actually respectable. So bite me.
I can't go to hell. I can go to the best dressed part of heaven though.

By the way, the return key is your friend.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 05:53 PM

This thread makes the baby jebus cry.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
My post was supposed to be a continuation of sorts from when I said it would throw christianity for a loop because of what their precious bible says. I don't actually believe in the Bible.... But If the bible were true, as most christians believe it is, then it certainly would be contradicting itself in many parts - if a gay gene was found of course.
Uhhh... how do I put it? You're horribly horribly horribly wrong.

The Bible doesn't SAY being gay is wrong. And you can argue from a scholarly point of view that the texts that some pretend condemn homosexual behaviour are actually meant to condemn fertility rights that happened in Cannan. But I realize you're not interested in understanding the Bible or Christianity, you'd just rather blindly condemn the faith of many, many of whom do not even condemn your sexuality. I'd complain about not doing to others as you'd do to them but thankfully you're not pretending to live by the teachings of Jesus.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 06:09 PM

Uhhh... how do I put it? You're horribly horribly horribly wrong.

The Bible doesn't SAY being gay is wrong. And you can argue from a scholarly point of view that the texts that some pretend condemn homosexual behaviour are actually meant to condemn fertility rights that happened in Cannan. But I realize you're not interested in understanding the Bible or Christianity, you'd just rather blindly condemn the faith of many, many of whom do not even condemn your sexuality. I'd complain about not doing to others as you'd do to them but thankfully you're not pretending to live by the teachings of Jesus.
You're twisting the bible to fit your views. Believe it or not, most christians believe that the bible condemns homosexuality.

But, you're right. I don't care. I believe in God, and try to be the best person that I can be.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 06:11 PM

You really are a confused gay christian. I suggest counseling to deal with your emotions before you search for any kind of partner.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 06:15 PM

They're no different? Uhh, they like to have sex with people of the same gender. There's a pretty big difference hence why we have different terms for them, one being gay one being straight. You'd be more correct to realize that there is difference but that it's not necessarily a bad thing that there is difference. In fact even within gay and straight circles you have lots of other differences, not just relating to sexuality. This idea of saying we're not different is like saying men and women aren't different. But frankly I don't have a vagina, I am different from a woman, it's not bad that I'm not a woman and it's not bad that she's not a man, it's just different.
And as far as stepping out of stereotypes, I'm very much so doing that, I've made an effort to make many more gay friends and continue to make them. However in most of the ones that I've met there are more common threads than you may want to believe. Ironically the gay community seems to have their own gendering system going on.
This is probably where you and I disagree most. Hopefully your perspective will change as you get older. The fact that you are gay seems to be the most important aspect of your life. You perceive everything with your "gay" glasses on. It's always in the context of your homosexuality. For me, the fact that I'm gay is one of the least important things about me. What's important is that I love and am loved. I have strong family ties and I appreciate good things in life. I pursue my hobbies in photography and traveling. I have all of this... and none of it has anything to do with the fact that I'm gay. Quit getting wrapped up in the idea that you are different. The first thing you can do is abandon the idea of a "gay community". What you see as a community is a minority of individuals who are most comfortable with their sexuality and don't mind wearing on their sleeve. They by no means fairly represent all gays. Believe me, I have lived in a "gay ghetto" (Dupont Circle in Washtington, D.C.).

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
This is probably where you and I disagree most. Hopefully your perspective will change as you get older. The fact that you are gay seems to be the most important aspect of your life. You perceive everything with your "gay" glasses on. It's always in the context of your homosexuality. For me, the fact that I'm gay is one of the least important things about me. What's important is that I love and am loved. I have strong family ties and I appreciate good things in life. I pursue my hobbies in photography and traveling. I have all of this... and none of it has anything to do with the fact that I'm gay. Quit getting wrapped up in the idea that you are different. The first thing you can do is abandon the idea of a "gay community". What you see as a community is a minority of individuals who are most comfortable with their sexuality and don't mind wearing on their sleeve. They by no means fairly represent all gays. Believe me, I have lived in a "gay ghetto" (Dupont Circle in Washtington, D.C.).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 06:30 PM

You're twisting the bible to fit your views. Believe it or not, most christians believe that the bible condemns homosexuality.
Most Christians twist the Bible to fit their views as well. Just because more people twist it one way than another isn't necessarily meaningful. But that's not really here nor there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mapleleaf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 06:35 PM

Gay men and women are no different than their straight counterparts. The only differences are those imposed by ignorance and fear.
You've said it better than anyone else.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Most Christians twist the Bible to fit their views as well. Just because more people twist it one way than another isn't necessarily meaningful. But that's not really here nor there.
Agreed. However I'm pretty sure the common consensus amongst christians is that Homosexuality is condemned.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 06:55 PM

Agreed. However I'm pretty sure the common consensus amongst christians is that Homosexuality is condemned.
Common concensus is not a good enough reason.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 07:08 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Most Christians twist the Bible to fit their views as well.
Actually... ...you'll probably find that it's more like "Most Christian societies twist The Bible to fit their view".

And they would be wrong. Homosexuality isn't condemned - homosexual acts are. This is why Paul puts a "some are called to celibacy" clause in the back end of the book (in fact, it also suggests that Paul was either gay or asexual).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 07:23 PM

And you can argue from a scholarly point of view that the texts that some pretend condemn homosexual behaviour are actually meant to condemn fertility rights that happened in Cannan.
No you can't. We've been through this. If you want to argue from that perspective then you've also got to argue that shagging your pet goat is perfectly acceptable too.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 07:37 PM

Golden words he will pour in your ear,
But his lies can't disguise what you fear,
For a golden girl knows when he's kissed her,
It's the kiss of death from

Mister Goldfinger.
Salty girl, beware of this heart of gold
This heart is cold.

He loves only gold,
Only gold.
He loves gold.
He loves only gold,
Only gold.
He loves goooooooooold.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No you can't. We've been through this. If you want to argue from that perspective then you've also got to argue that shagging your pet goat is perfectly acceptable too.
Wait a second, are you saying that it's not?!

memory-minus
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 10:29 AM

And they would be wrong. Homosexuality isn't condemned - homosexual acts are.
I have never been asked if I am celebate before being called names, condemened and even physically attacked after it was revealed (when asked I don't lie unless I am fearing for my life) that I am a homosexual. So while I agree with you that is what the Bible says, the act itself is condemned and Christians should be called to "help" those who are "afflicted," many people I've come in contact with neglect to make that distinction before going on the offensive.

memory-minus
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 10:32 AM

The fact that you are gay seems to be the most important aspect of your life. You perceive everything with your "gay" glasses on. It's always in the context of your homosexuality.
I was very much like this when I was Salty's age, and believe me you do grow out of it eventually. Still sad to see someone go through that though, because it mostly just caused me to become angry and confused.

Tiresias
Nov 22, 2006, 10:44 AM

Page 8. Man, this gay thread is smoking. When it comes to talking gay, I guess MacNNers are... indefatigable.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus View Post
I have never been asked if I am celebate before being called names, condemened and even physically attacked after it was revealed (when asked I don't lie unless I am fearing for my life) that I am a homosexual. So while I agree with you that is what the Bible says, the act itself is condemned and Christians should be called to "help" those who are "afflicted," many people I've come in contact with neglect to make that distinction before going on the offensive.
95% of people on the planet are assholes, whether they're religious or not.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 11:47 AM

It all comes down to personal decisions. If you believe the bible doesn't look kindly on gay sex, and if you decide that the bible is your personal yardstick when it comes to decisions on such things, then good for you.

If you don't, good for you too. Have all the gay sex you want to have, it doesn't bother me*.

Make up your own mind, live your own life and let others live theirs.

*Unless you live next door, are a screamer and insist on shagging in the early hours of the morning. Then I might have words.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
*Unless you live next door, are a screamer and insist on shagging in the early hours of the morning. Then I might have words.
And those words are: "Got room for number three?"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2006, 11:52 AM

It all comes down to personal decisions. If you believe the bible doesn't look kindly on gay sex, and if you decide that the bible is your personal yardstick when it comes to decisions on such things, then good for you.

If you don't, good for you too. Have all the gay sex you want to have, it doesn't bother me*.

Make up your own mind, live your own life and let others live theirs.
Word.

That too. Not from personal experience, but I know this girl who lives in a terrace right next door to a very loud gay couple.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 12:03 PM

You really are a confused gay christian. I suggest counseling to deal with your emotions before you search for any kind of partner.
just live your life bro ... be the best person you can be. respect yourself, trust yourself and the God that you know and forget all the naysayers.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 12:32 PM

That too. Not from personal experience, but I know this girl who lives in a terrace right next door to a very loud gay couple.

When I lived in London I spent some time renting space in an old factory building in Hoxton, before it got all trendy-fied and yuppie-fied. At the time it was a haven for squatters, artists and photographers after cheap studio space.

Around the corner was the infamous 'London Apprentice', a hard core leather and rubber gay club. My roof terrace overlooked a patch of wasteland (now a Holiday Inn), fenced in with corrugated iron. Many a morning we sat on the roof on a Sunday morning, having coffee, when we saw, and heard...activity behind the bushes.

My neighbour and I hatched many plans, most of them involving balloons and water, but I can't remember actually following through.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 02:23 PM

Well 8 pages later here is my answer.

I met most of my ex's and current BF online. I like doing it that way as I am rather picky and I like to pre-screne them as much as possible because I can't stand bad dates.

People seem more open and less shy when talking online first so you can get a better sense of someone's personality.

Other than that it isn't easy for gay men. I live in the city with the second largest gay population, yet I almost never date someone I met at a club or in the community. I don't like the gaybourhood as I find it snobby and it is always the same group of people even though it is rather large.

So what does a gay man do? You can't just ask out any guy you like at work or see in a coffee shop as it isn't always clear when someone is gay and you don't want to hit on a straight guy. It is nice if you happen to have a friend who has a gay friend but the odds of the two of you liking each other might not be that high.

I've been with my current BF for over 3 years and I can't complain on the method of how I met him. Worked out great for both of us.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Well 8 pages later here is my answer.

I met most of my ex's and current BF online. I like doing it that way as I am rather picky and I like to pre-screne them as much as possible because I can't stand bad dates.

People seem more open and less shy when talking online first so you can get a better sense of someone's personality.

Other than that it isn't easy for gay men. I live in the city with the second largest gay population, yet I almost never date someone I met at a club or in the community. I don't like the gaybourhood as I find it snobby and it is always the same group of people even though it is rather large.

So what does a gay man do? You can't just ask out any guy you like at work or see in a coffee shop as it isn't always clear when someone is gay and you don't want to hit on a straight guy. It is nice if you happen to have a friend who has a gay friend but the odds of the two of you liking each other might not be that high.

I've been with my current BF for over 3 years and I can't complain on the method of how I met him. Worked out great for both of us.
You met them online? Like, just around or you used a dating service or what?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 04:20 PM

You met them online? Like, just around or you used a dating service or what?
Ya gay dating sites.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 04:30 PM

I've tried that before, only I'm a student so I'm lucky to have access to a wide number of guys on facebook. Meeting guys there is pretty chill: you know they're safe because they go to either your college, or a nearby college. Also it's sort of a quasi-dating site, so you can make friends with them if you dont click.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2006, 07:06 PM

amazing Christian
Please, tell me, what qualifies one for this honour?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Please, tell me, what qualifies one for this honour?
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2006, 08:40 PM

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.
I know a lot of atheists that would qualify as "amazing Christians".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2006, 08:57 PM

Chuck Norris

memory-minus
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 09:04 PM

My partner's parents are "Christians" yet they exhibit almost none of these qualities. As mentioned above, I know far more athiests with more of these qualities than I do Christians.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 12:22 AM

When Christians or members of any other organized religion try to assert that they are on some moral high ground or have something that others lack, we embark on a slippery slope.

Sort of like those slip and slide water toys, except on a slope, and they don't require a garden hose to maintain slipperiness.

I'm awesome at metaphors.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I know a lot of atheists that would qualify as "amazing Christians".
i was going to say I know next to zero Christians that have all those qualities.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Page 8. Man, this gay thread is smoking. When it comes to talking gay, I guess MacNNers are... indefatigable.
That is with a page of crap deleted.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2006, 04:02 PM

Simply because you don't know them to have that doesn't mean they don't. And if you know someone who doesn't express those at all, likely they're not a Christian. That's what we call the fruit of the Spirit. They may not always be like that, but that will be the overwhelming aspect of their character. I know many friends who I can confidently say that about, though I also know many who I can't.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2006, 04:57 PM

Simply because you don't know them to have that doesn't mean they don't. And if you know someone who doesn't express those at all, likely they're not a Christian. That's what we call the fruit of the Spirit. They may not always be like that, but that will be the overwhelming aspect of their character. I know many friends who I can confidently say that about, though I also know many who I can't.

I don't think you can make generalizations here. The same things can be said about people of any religion, or of atheists.

Cipher13
Nov 23, 2006, 06:29 PM

The qualities you listed do not make somebody exclusively an "amazing Christian" - they make them a decent person (though somebody with none of those qualities can still be a decent person).

My contribution to your thread ends here. You're beyond help.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2006, 06:40 PM

hey I'm just giving a list out of OUR holy text. Paul wrote it, you got issue take it up with him.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2006, 06:41 PM

hey I'm just giving a list out of OUR holy text. Paul wrote it, you got issue take it up with him.
You got his number?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2006, 08:05 PM

He's dead, but if you want to talk to Jesus who inspired him, you can just start talking. That said clear responses generally are hit and miss with Him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules