Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loose RAM/stuck screw

Loose RAM/stuck screw
scattered
Oct 19, 2006, 07:26 PM

I upgraded the RAM on my MacBook. Everything was going fine until the computer got jostled a bit and then suddenly refused to start up. I assumed that the RAM had come loose, so I tried to open it and reseat the RAM, only I can't get the middle screw on the metal plate that covers the RAM slots to come off. Looking at it with a magnifying glass, it looks like the inside of the screw has already been worn away. Any ideas? Will the GeniusBar help me get the screw off, or will they tell it's my own fault?

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 19, 2006, 07:47 PM

the screws on the metal plate are not meant to come off. pretty ingenious actually. it prevents me from losing the screws.

but upon reading your post, i think what you meant was that you stripped the screw.

did you use specifically a size "0" screw to get the screws off? They can be found at lowes or home depot as part of a "precision" screwdriver set.

i have a friend who stripped the screw because he used a random small screwdriver, but it wasn't small enough, and it ruined his screw. he borrowed my size "0" screwdriver to get it out. he screwed the screw back in after he upgraded the ram, and after that, he didn't touch it again.

good luck
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

scattered  (op)
Oct 19, 2006, 07:54 PM

Yeah, it looks like I stripped the screw. I have a precision screwdriver set, and reading your post made me realize I intially reached for a larger screwdriver by accident and started on the middle screw. I didn't realize I used so much force. Damnit. So the question is, what can I do about a stripped screw? The smallest screwdriver I have hasn't helped.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 08:44 PM

If a size 0 screwdriver won't work, you might try one size bigger. That might make contact with the grooves. If you can't find a size that works, there ain't much I cna think of besides taking the whole rest of it apart to get at the other end of the screw.

acoustix
Oct 20, 2006, 09:15 AM

You may well have stripped the screw, but they are absolute garbage. When I upgraded my ram, the screw would not tighten back up to hold the metal strip over the ram modules tightly. I ended up having to wrap the screw thread with telfon tape to give the female thread something to grab onto.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

scattered  (op)
Oct 20, 2006, 03:52 PM

I took my MacBook to a repair center (not the Apple Store, something run by my old school that I have a good relationship with) and they were able to get the screw out. $15 to replace the metal bar. I had asked them to reseat the and check the RAM as well, and it turns out I need a new logic board! So some good seems to have come out of this.
( Last edited by scattered; Oct 20, 2006 at 06:58 PM. )

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 01:06 AM

Where oh where has the durability of the older Apple laptops gone?
iMac G4 / Macbook

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
Where oh where has the durability of the older Apple laptops gone?
nowhere. this problem was caused completely by user error. He did not use the correct size screwdriver.

my friend made the exact same mistake. trying to blame this one on apple is analagous to the woman who sued McD's for hot coffee.

apple has had its problems with the macbook, but this error cannot be blamed on apple.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 04:31 AM

I meant about the build quality of the computers period. I have removed many screws from Apple computers over the years and never did I happen upon a screw that stripped easily. I guess that is another way Apple is cutting costs.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ibook_steve
Oct 23, 2006, 01:36 PM

I meant about the build quality of the computers period. I have removed many screws from Apple computers over the years and never did I happen upon a screw that stripped easily. I guess that is another way Apple is cutting costs.
This makes no sense. A screw is a screw (hee hee). Any screw can be stripped if you use the wrong tool and force it hard enough. As stated above, this has nothing to do with Apple. What should Apple do, use screws with a diamond coating?

Steve

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
This makes no sense. A screw is a screw (hee hee). Any screw can be stripped if you use the wrong tool and force it hard enough. As stated above, this has nothing to do with Apple. What should Apple do, use screws with a diamond coating?

Steve
NO! They need to use PSYCHIC screws that loosen upon the user MENTAL COMMAND!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 03:45 PM

Steve
Oh my really? You don't know? There are many materials that can be used to make even screws, they are all not just metal things. There are even plastic screws meant to LOOK like metal ones and are painted and such, but really those kinds are meant for a one time use only, and if unscrewed recommended to be replaced with new ones.

Then again if you haven't built as many computers as me you probably wouldn't know about these different screws in the first place so I understand you not knowing, but apparently Apple has caught up with the rest of the world and now uses light-weight plastic-like type screws in there. Bummer.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ibook_steve
Oct 23, 2006, 06:46 PM

Oh my really? You don't know? There are many materials that can be used to make even screws, they are all not just metal things. There are even plastic screws meant to LOOK like metal ones and are painted and such, but really those kinds are meant for a one time use only, and if unscrewed recommended to be replaced with new ones.

Then again if you haven't built as many computers as me you probably wouldn't know about these different screws in the first place so I understand you not knowing, but apparently Apple has caught up with the rest of the world and now uses light-weight plastic-like type screws in there. Bummer.
Congratulations on your fantastic ability to build computers. You must know everything. I worked at Apple designing these computers. I've put together and taken apart more of them than I can count. Using the correct tool, I never stripped a screw. Your points have done nothing to help the person who accidentally stripped their screw.

Steve

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 07:43 PM

Congratulations on your fantastic ability to build computers. You must know everything. I worked at Apple designing these computers. I've put together and taken apart more of them than I can count. Using the correct tool, I never stripped a screw. Your points have done nothing to help the person who accidentally stripped their screw.

Steve
Said person already had the screw problem solved, we moved onto built quailty.. pay attention
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules