Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > At $1,299, is a refurb 1.6 G5 worth it?

At $1,299, is a refurb 1.6 G5 worth it?
smelias
Jun 11, 2004, 04:16 PM

Hi,

I Am very tempted to pickup a refurb G5 but am not sure if I can afford anything other than the 1.6 G5. I also think that for home movie work, it should do. My understanding that the iLife applications do not gain any advantage from the duals so this should be ok.

Also, has anyone have an opinion regarding the refurbs from apple?

Thanks,

Steve
Dual G5 2.0, PB AL 17/1Gz,PB Ti/667,iMac/800 FP,Lombard/400,Wallstreet/250, PowerPC/75,PB 520c,Centris 610
Classic II,Newton 120,Apple IIe

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by smelias:
Hi,

I Am very tempted to pickup a refurb G5 but am not sure if I can afford anything other than the 1.6 G5. I also think that for home movie work, it should do. My understanding that the iLife applications do not gain any advantage from the duals so this should be ok.

Thanks,

Steve
The refurbs are usually good.

They all come with a full warranty, so should you have any trouble, it will be sorted... well worth a look.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb form Apple. I also agree with you that for basic home movie work you should be fine. There may be a thing or two here where the dual would be of benefit but I wouldn't worry about it. Are you getting this through the apple store at Town Center ro just online? I think they can sell them. Anyway that isn't a bad deal at all.

osxisfun
Jun 11, 2004, 09:19 PM

sounds like a great deal. i would say if you have no problems within the first couple of week, then you should be golden.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
sounds like a great deal. i would say if you have no problems within the first couple of week, then you should be golden.
I found that the computer mortality rate is greatest in the fist 0-72 hours, after that it trails off...

If you can get through 4 or 5 days, chances are you have a good machine.

smelias  (op)
Jun 12, 2004, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by southtdi:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb form Apple. I also agree with you that for basic home movie work you should be fine. There may be a thing or two here where the dual would be of benefit but I wouldn't worry about it. Are you getting this through the apple store at Town Center ro just online? I think they can sell them. Anyway that isn't a bad deal at all.
I am actually going to the Wellington or TC mall this morning to see their inventory (my 2.5 yr old is biased towards Wellington due to their indoor kids play area). Originally I was looking to buy from Apple Online but I think that it would be easier to sell it to the wife if she was there to see my glowing face at the thought of owning a G5.

Are you a native to S. Florida? Also, do you belong to a user's group?
Dual G5 2.0, PB AL 17/1Gz,PB Ti/667,iMac/800 FP,Lombard/400,Wallstreet/250, PowerPC/75,PB 520c,Centris 610

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 11:32 AM

A 1.6GHz G5 for $1299 does sound like a good deal. Toss in some RAM, and you've got all the power you'll need in a home computer for some time to come.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
A 1.6GHz G5 for $1299 does sound like a good deal. Toss in some RAM, and you've got all the power you'll need in a home computer for some time to come.
iMovie and iDVD take advantage of dual CPUs... that said - a G5 1.6 is still pretty dope. Buy it!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

lkearl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 01:17 PM

Hi,

Thanks,

Steve
I've been using a G5/1.6 since last September and it has been fantastic. I do home video editing (make a 2-hour DVD of short movies throughout the year for relatives at Christmas, basketball hilites for my son's community team, etc.) using Final Cut Express 2, iMovie, and iDVD. Reviews/tests I read at www.xlr8yourmac.com indicated the iLife programs don't use dual processors. Regardless, I'm very happy with my computer for video editing and other activities (e.g., games like Quake 3 and UT2K3, iTunes, etc.). I've added a 160 GB HD, 512 MB RAM (total is 768 MB) and got it with the Radeon 9600 video card.

I would definately recommend this computer for what you say you'll be using it for.

I also just bought a 1.25 Ghz eMac for the kids (to replace a B&W G3/300 upgraded to a G4/600) and am very happy with it, too.

Larry

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 01:42 PM

(long-time lurker, first-time poster)

I'm near the end of a similar situation - after researching several forums about Apple refurbs, I decided to order one of those refurb 1st gen dual G5s for $1999. It should arrive today - quite the upgrade from a Sawtooth

From what I've read, it seems other than potential minor cosmetic issues (scratches, etc), everything about Apple refurbs seems to be worth it. I figure it's probably gone through a more rigorous testing process than a brand new machine - with the added benefit of likely previous use that would minimize the potential for a DOA.

I couldn't resist splurging for the dual processors - many apps I use (as well as the OS) should just fly now.

And FedEx just pulled up! I'll report back later.

smelias  (op)
Jun 14, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by lkearl:
I've been using a G5/1.6 since last September and it has been fantastic. I do home video editing (make a 2-hour DVD of short movies throughout the year for relatives at Christmas, basketball hilites for my son's community team, etc.) using Final Cut Express 2, iMovie, and iDVD. Reviews/tests I read at www.xlr8yourmac.com indicated the iLife programs don't use dual processors. Regardless, I'm very happy with my computer for video editing and other activities (e.g., games like Quake 3 and UT2K3, iTunes, etc.). I've added a 160 GB HD, 512 MB RAM (total is 768 MB) and got it with the Radeon 9600 video card.

I would definately recommend this computer for what you say you'll be using it for.

I also just bought a 1.25 Ghz eMac for the kids (to replace a B&W G3/300 upgraded to a G4/600) and am very happy with it, too.

Larry

I went to the Apple store this weekend and performed my own test. I started up iMovie on all the powermacs and a powerbook 1.33 which all had the birthday party home movie. I then selected to burn a DVD. iDVD opens up and begins to encode the movie file. I timed it to when it was completed. I was surprised to find that the 1.6 G5 was actually slower that the 1.33 powerbook . The dual 1.8 and 2.0 rocked!! They were like twice the speed of the 1.6 (kind of makes sence). Anyway, I think that I will get a dual as a result of this test.

Now to decide to whether get the 1.8 or the 2.0...Hmm..

smelias  (op)
Jun 14, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Briareus:
(long-time lurker, first-time poster)

I'm near the end of a similar situation - after researching several forums about Apple refurbs, I decided to order one of those refurb 1st gen dual G5s for $1999. It should arrive today - quite the upgrade from a Sawtooth

From what I've read, it seems other than potential minor cosmetic issues (scratches, etc), everything about Apple refurbs seems to be worth it. I figure it's probably gone through a more rigorous testing process than a brand new machine - with the added benefit of likely previous use that would minimize the potential for a DOA.

I couldn't resist splurging for the dual processors - many apps I use (as well as the OS) should just fly now.

And FedEx just pulled up! I'll report back later.
Let me know how it goes. What town do you live in, we may be neighbors!

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2004, 03:14 PM

I am actually going to the Wellington or TC mall this morning to see their inventory (my 2.5 yr old is biased towards Wellington due to their indoor kids play area). Originally I was looking to buy from Apple Online but I think that it would be easier to sell it to the wife if she was there to see my glowing face at the thought of owning a G5.

Are you a native to S. Florida? Also, do you belong to a user's group?
Haven't been to the Wellington store yet since I live in the very north of Broward. I know about getting the wife to see it, unfortunantly for me that doesn't always work. She seems to have stroing resistance to the tech toys.

As far as being a native you can say that but I was born in Naples lived in Ft. Myers, Cape Coral and moved over here about 10 years ago. I don't belong to a users group but have considered joining. I need to dig around and see which ones are around here. I have only switched a year ago so still a little new to this but wish I had done it years ago.

I am not too surprised to hear about the 1.6's speed. You are not the only one I have read having witnessed that. It seems a single G5 processor is actually fast but some applications don't bebnefit like a dual G4 even would (such as the idvd test you did). For normal use I think it would be great but I would have even had a hard time not going for the dual G5 instead, which I am glad I did when I got mine.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 04:15 PM

for the purposes you described a single G5 will be fine but a single G4 at 1.5 will probably beat in multitasking for what you described an emac might fit your needs for now at least.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 12:45 AM

Well, my new refurb dual 2Ghz G5 is functioning perfectly. No major or minor physical blemishes, up and running 10.3.4 smoothly. And VERY quickly when compared to my vintage 2000 G4. Came with Panther installed and the iLife DVD in the box, as well a new shrinkwrapped keyboard and mouse.

Just getting around to clean installing more of my major apps - some of which will enjoy the two processors (Photoshop, Digital Performer, etc.). I'll be giving this thing a good workout for the next few days.

From how this thing rips through Artmatic renderings and Unreal Tournament 2K4, I think I'll be happy for quite some time

So, thumbs up on current Apple Store refurbs so far. This G5 was only a couple hundred more than I paid for my Sawtooth in Y2K... splurge for a dualie: you'll thank yourself.

Nice to run into some nearby SoFla Mac people (I'm in Delray but work all over) - feel free to PM me.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 03:10 PM

Glad you are happy with it so far. I, unfortunantly, do not use my G5 to it's full potential but it was something I was not planning to get.

I agree it's good to see others form s. fla too. I'm in Margate myself, just south of you. You play Unreal too. On there almost every day after work, usually on the Gamecoalition server. Willing to play anywhere, though. Have to hook up on there and play. I am not the greatest at it y kills but I am out for the team experinece (which can bring down the kill count some) than straight out kills.

smelias  (op)
Jun 16, 2004, 01:06 PM

Glad you are happy with it so far. I, unfortunantly, do not use my G5 to it's full potential but it was something I was not planning to get.

I agree it's good to see others form s. fla too. I'm in Margate myself, just south of you. You play Unreal too. On there almost every day after work, usually on the Gamecoalition server. Willing to play anywhere, though. Have to hook up on there and play. I am not the greatest at it y kills but I am out for the team experinece (which can bring down the kill count some) than straight out kills.
Oh! This is so exciting! I just bought Unreal 2004 the other day and cannot wait to play it. However, I've go to get this video out the door first. Anyway, I am going to buy either the dual 1.8 or 2.0 as soon as it appears again in the refurb section. I have decided.

Go Marlins!

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 05:01 PM

Update to my refurb Apple experience:
While the dual 2Ghz G5 is running splendidly, I bought a refurb Airport Extreme card at the same time.

It was DOA, probably because it wasn't in the anti-stat bag and got x-rayed by Homeland Security in transit. Called Apple, 10 minute wait time, cleared it all up and a working unit arrived on my doorstep the next day no charge. Bravo!

southdi - I'll keep an eye out for you on the UT2K4 servers once I get my chops back up

smelias - good plan to hold out for the refurb dual. Also look forward to fragging you in UT sometime

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2004, 11:00 AM

south florida: CHECK.

catch me drivin' around in my dirty/ugly/fast mustang with the apple sticker on the driver's side.
ice

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 11:02 AM

Aplle does have really good customer service. When I had to send back my powerbook after a repair due to not being right there was no question on the phone and they turned it arond in a day. Went out one morning got it back the next.

Smelias - I agree the refurbs are the best deal and still have the full warranty.

Briareus - does yours have the bluetooth with it? Only thing I wish I had bought since in parts it cost far more.

Both of you. I play under the name Langis. don't ask why, just something I thought up. anyway i'll look for you online. I pretty much play onslaught.

smelias  (op)
Jun 17, 2004, 11:32 AM

Aplle does have really good customer service. When I had to send back my powerbook after a repair due to not being right there was no question on the phone and they turned it arond in a day. Went out one morning got it back the next.

Smelias - I agree the refurbs are the best deal and still have the full warranty.

Briareus - does yours have the bluetooth with it? Only thing I wish I had bought since in parts it cost far more.

Both of you. I play under the name Langis. don't ask why, just something I thought up. anyway i'll look for you online. I pretty much play onslaught.
I'm starting to get a littel worried about the availability of refurb G5's. It's been two days and I have not seen any pop up. I should have bought it last week when I had a chance. Well, I'll keep on checking.

BTW, It's really nice to see so many South Floridians represented on this forum, anyone thinking of going to boston in July for the MacWorld expo? I went to boston back in the early 90's when I lived in NY and I liked it better than the one's at Jacob Javits in NYC. Anyone else ever go? Anyone want to go?

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 12:21 PM

Question for you refurb purchasers; can you customize a refurb? Like, can you add the internal bluetooth module and can you upgrade video, HD like a new machine?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 02:16 PM

I didn't see any build to order options when I ordered mine.
The refurbs are sold "it is what it is".

(You can of course add whatever you want yourself later)
( Last edited by Briareus; Jun 19, 2004 at 10:48 AM. )

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 03:25 PM

Refurbs are what they are. Sometimes you get lucky and find one for sale that was a BTO and you get some extras. I think last week they had a few of the dual 2.0 G5's with a gig of ram in them.

I am not going to Boston, unfortunantly. I would love too but just haven't got that lucky yet. Need to get a more secure and better paying job first. I have a good one but the company isn't in the best shape due to lost contracts form the ecanomy hitting it's customers. Trying to get into a better postion but nothing yet. The IT industry is pretty dried up right now.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2004, 10:56 AM

southdi - it doesn't look like the internal bluetooth module is a user-installable item (I don't have it, and there's no BTO options on refurbs). Whenever I upgrade to a bluetooth cell phone I hear the USB bluetooth dongles work just fine, though. I added an Airport Extreme card myself.

No plans to go to Macworld (never been to one), but I'd be interested if I didn't feel poor in the summer (it's a musician/seasonal income thing + just getting a dual G5). I did hit the Photoshop World convention on South Beach last summer though

smelias  (op)
Jun 20, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Briareus:
southdi - it doesn't look like the internal bluetooth module is a user-installable item (I don't have it, and there's no BTO options on refurbs). Whenever I upgrade to a bluetooth cell phone I hear the USB bluetooth dongles work just fine, though. I added an Airport Extreme card myself.

No plans to go to Macworld (never been to one), but I'd be interested if I didn't feel poor in the summer (it's a musician/seasonal income thing + just getting a dual G5). I did hit the Photoshop World convention on South Beach last summer though
That sound pretty cool. How often does the convention come to town? As far as the MacWorld convention is concerned, having lived in NY and Rhode Island, it was pretty easy to go. I went to the one that Airport and the clam shell iBooks were introduced. I want to say that the iMac were also introduced but I don't remember. All I know is that it was pretty cool.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 11:39 AM

The next one is in Orlando in September, so it moves around. It's put together by Adobe, NAPP, and Mac Design magazine. Mac Design's last conference was in Chicago. Since Mac Design magazine and NAPP are pretty much sister organizations and based around Tampa, their events are usually more nearby to us sub-tropics dwellers than the big MacWorld ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules