Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Turning off autocomplete in Communicator? Help

Turning off autocomplete in Communicator? Help
mikeap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2000, 10:57 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if unchecking Internet Keywords under Smart Browsing in the Preference window in Netscape Communicator 4.7.3 will stop the feature that automatically fills in the URL line with an address that completes what you are typing. What I mean is when I type "a" it automatically fills in "apple.com" even though I dont want to go there. Just wondering if unchecking this will disable this feature. The reason I ask instead of trying it mysefl is because the new browser is not on this computer yet and I dont want to upgrade if it wont disable this. Thanks for your help.
Mike

jbm
May 10, 2000, 02:58 PM

If you're concerned that the autocomplete feature gets in the way of typing what you want, you don't really need to turn it off. It works the way you'd want it to. the stuff it fills in remains highlighted, and you can continue typing over it.

flowerpt
May 11, 2000, 09:54 AM

The trouble with autocompletion is if you want to go to a destination that is higher in the URL hierarchy than a destination you've been to before. For example:

I've been to:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

now, I want to go to:
http://www.apple.com/

If I type where I want to go and hit return, it'll bring me to the deeper location, since it's autocompleted that.

That's a pain.

I'd try looking at the preferences file. It's editable plaintext.

Forum Links
Forum Rules