Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Buying Advice

MacBook Buying Advice
jchen
May 16, 2006, 03:58 PM

Well, this is the notebook that I've been waiting for (Intel-Mac laptop < $1500) so I am going to take the plunge and buy it. I qualify for the education discount but I was still trying to debate between the low end and the middle model. For an additional $150 ($1199), the middle model comes with the SuperDrive and a 2.0 Ghz Core Duo (vs 1.83). While the additional cost doesn't seem that big, I wonder if it's still worth it to upgrade to the SuperDrive. I rarely burn DVDs but I am concerned with resale value perhaps two years from now when I decide to upgrade once again. How do you think the addition of a SuperDrive will affect resale value (will it truly be a premium add-on)? As for the processor differences, is the additional 167Mhz really worth it - I plan on primarily using this laptop in a mobile setting (lots of traveling, battery usage primarily) so that the processor will most likely not even clock that high for most of my tasks to preserve battery life.

Anyway, any feedback is appreciated, I know that lots of people have complained about the new glossy screens and integrated graphics but I'm looking forward to getting one regardless. I presently have a Dell Inspiron 600m and it's an item that I'm not particularly fond of.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 04:00 PM

For resale value alone, get the SuperDrive models

From personal experience (6+ Macs) that I've sold on eBay, the SuperDrive models demand a substantial increase in bids and raise the overall price heathily. Once people used to say "I won't need to burn CDs..." as well. Definitely get the SuperDrive if for nothing more than to preserve resale value more.

Also, wait a week or two and these will be on Amazon.com w/ free shipping, no tax, and a $100-$200 rebate just like Amazon always has on Macs.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jchen  (op)
May 16, 2006, 04:02 PM

How about AppleCare? Worth it? (if for the resale value alone)

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jchen
How about AppleCare? Worth it? (if for the resale value alone)
Well, hopefully you won't be selling your MacBook until after your AppleCare has expired. But, I think AppleCare is definitely worth it for any portable, especially if it is a first-gen product. Practically every component that can fail is integrated onto the logic board. If anything goes wrong, Apple has to replace your entire logic board, which costs big bucks if you're not under warranty. Not to mention the potential cost of replacing your screen. If your budget is such that you have to choose between the low-end model with AppleCare, and the mid-range model without AppleCare, then I personally would stick with the low-end.

Also keep in mind that you can delay purchasing AppleCare for a year after your initial purchase. So you might be able to splurge now and then save up enough for the AppleCare later on.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 04:09 PM

From my experience, AppleCare doesn't do much to resale. What DOES help resale is selling it before the original 1-year warranty expires. New owners LOVE to hear they still have warranty left, but they don't wanna pay what you'll pay for AppleCare. It's completely psychological, but I've found it true. I always sell my Macs before a year's time is up; the prices start to fall heavily after that since you can't claim a warranty and it's probably eclipsed 2 revision changes since your original purchase date.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules