Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel driver to load disk images?

Kernel driver to load disk images?
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2003, 03:50 PM

OK...I like to play several games at a moments notice - but all require the CD to be in the drive. So for now, I keep the boxes in my drawers. This does lead to a few issues such as one of my kids taking a CD out (I've lost my Jedi Knight 2 CD), or just having a hard time finding the game CD.

So....what I'd like to do is create disk images of my games. Then have a kernel level driver that loads the disk images and act as REAL CD players so the games will see them.

I'd also like it if each disk image was verified and "signed" so to speak to prevent piracy. What that means is the first time I ask it to mount an image I've burned, the driver would ask me to put the original CD in. It would verify that I owned the CD. Heck...even if it asks ever 50 times. That's fine because I understand the need to prevent piracy.

Now...first of all, does anybody know if anything CLOSE to what I am looking for exists? Or if anything like this is possible? And finally...if possibly anybody wants to write such a beast?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 02:54 PM

Have you tried using normal disc image mounting?

Otherwise, try using Toast Titanium. Use it to make an image, then mount it with Toast. Toast is so good at this that even movie DVDs can be mounted as images, and the DVD Player actually believes a DVD drive is present (even if that's not the case).

tooki

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Have you tried using normal disc image mounting?

Otherwise, try using Toast Titanium. Use it to make an image, then mount it with Toast. Toast is so good at this that even movie DVDs can be mounted as images, and the DVD Player actually believes a DVD drive is present (even if that's not the case).

tooki
Yes, I've tried Disk Copy. However...not Toast. Toast may be a good thing to test...

Can anybody verify that this works in Toast?

bracken
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 04:00 PM

Create the image with Toast then use AppleScript to mount it and play the game.

For example:

Code:
tell application "Toast Titanium 5.2.1" activate mount image (file "HardDrive:CDs:Game.toast") quit end tell tell application "Game" activate end tell
You can even copy and paste the game's icon over the AppleScript file to make it look better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules