Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > To hide apps automatically after x minutes of inactivty

To hide apps automatically after x minutes of inactivty
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 01:28 PM

I'm curious if anybody has seen or wants to write an app that sits in the background and automatically hides applications that are not in the foreground after x minutes of inactivity?

For example - I'd like my email hidden after 5 minutes, iTunes never hidden, Dreamweaver hidden after 30 minutes, and so on. Its just my preferred method of working by keeping my apps all open, but not visible until I need them.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 02:13 PM

i have no programming ability, but i was thinking of something like this. but instead of hiding them how about their transparency drops a lot. so you can still see them but they are not that noticeable.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2004, 02:24 PM

Hiding applications can easily be done with AppleScript. Making them transparent or something would probably require a haxie, and would thus be less desirable.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 02:36 PM

Yeah, hiding is good for me. I have my dock set to have hidden apps show their dock icons in transparent mode.

The other choice is to minimize all that apps's windows. That would work for single window apps. So if we could hide or minimize apps on a per app basis with custom settings for each app, I think we'd have a good small utility.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 02:36 PM

Transparency would be good, but it should be gradual. For instance, iTunes starts to fade out after two minutes, and by five minutes it's all gone. But Dreamweaver starts the fade at 25minutes and is gone at 30.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2004, 02:19 AM

Here's the AppleScript code for hiding all apps except the one in the foreground:

Code:
tell application "System Events" set visible of (every process whose visible is true and frontmost is false) to false end tell

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Sal:
Here's the AppleScript code for hiding all apps except the one in the foreground:
Hey, it's great to see you around here again!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:06 AM

Code:
tell application "System Events" set visible of (every process whose visible is true and frontmost is false) to false end tell
Whoa, haven't seen you round here in a while Sal.

McKenna
Jul 31, 2004, 12:19 PM

Code:
Great to see you posting again!

Now -- how is the book coming? Is it done? Got a sample you'd like to share with us?

Thanks for everything!

--Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules