Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How stable is Boot camp?

How stable is Boot camp?
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 08:27 PM

I really do not want to buy a PC Lappy, and want to use a MBP for use at the office during the day, and OSX to get real work done ( at home at night ).... I have to use Win XP due to Print authorizations and other protocols at work. So my question is this, how stable is it? Can it be used for email, web browsing, and spreadsheet work in Win XP Pro?
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
I really do not want to buy a PC Lappy, and want to use a MBP for use at the office during the day, and OSX to get real work done ( at home at night ).... I have to use Win XP due to Print authorizations and other protocols at work. So my question is this, how stable is it? Can it be used for email, web browsing, and spreadsheet work in Win XP Pro?
Bootcamp is just the OS loader. XP will function as normal once installed.

Normal as can be for XP that is

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 10:07 PM

Hehe, thanks KmKKid, I appreciate that... I know, I have a PeeCee for plaing games.....so I think I will go for it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2006, 10:11 PM

The only potential problem is with the drivers for the various hardware parts of the Mac. Some people have mentioned getting blue screens when playing around with the (unsupported) iSight, for example. There have also been people who have had trouble with the installation portion of Boot Camp, sometimes erasing their hard disk. Whether this was due to user error or not is hard to say. I haven't had any problems myself.

siMac
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 11:25 AM

Words I hate, in no particular order: lappy, ciggy, hubby... (do you see where this is going?)

As for your question, as far as I know once the machine has booted then Boot Camp has done its job and won't be called upon again until the next boot-time. Even if it is buggy it shouldn't cause any harm once your OS is up and running.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 10:17 PM

I am very experienced in both MacOS and Windows, and I still had to install windows two times before I could get a stable copy. (Ultimately it came down to installing *all* of the windows updates first, then installing other programs.) But right now it seems to be working pretty well. I personally think that bootcamp works acceptably -- you just need to be very careful with Windows.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 10:27 PM

siMac
this one is for you

Go yell your hubby to light up a ciggy and enjoy his new lappy
~Mike

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
siMac
this one is for you

Here here, I will from this day forth never use the word lappy..... again..... ahem, I mean after this post. OK? =)

siMac
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I just threw up a bit into my mouth...

|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 07:18 AM

Sorry I just couldn't resist, you provided all of that material, I couldn't let it go to waste
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
May 11, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by markponcelet
I am very experienced in both MacOS and Windows, and I still had to install windows two times before I could get a stable copy. (Ultimately it came down to installing *all* of the windows updates first, then installing other programs.)
ALWAYS, EVERY TIME, WITHOUT FAIL, INSTALL ALL THE UPDATES BEFORE INSTALLING ANYTHING ELSE. It's that important. Windows updates installed on a fresh copy of XP always work better because there's a lot of "housekeeping" that gets done after a few boot cycles. I have installed countless pieces of software only to have to start over and reinstall XP because there was one little update I missed and installing it (to use a technical term) goobered up the whole thing.

Also note that these updates are frequently (almost always) security related, so doing all of them immediately is safer for your computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules