Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrading to Leopard - What about apps?

Upgrading to Leopard - What about apps?
stony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 06:01 PM

I am curious about what happens when I upgrade to Leopard. Is it just an OS upgrade or will it basically wipe out my mac and I will have to re-install all of my various apps?

Cold Warrior
Oct 22, 2007, 06:05 PM

you'll have the option of upgrading, which will upgrade OS system components and certain Apple apps (Preview, Mail, etc.), but not erase your other apps (CS3, Adobe Reader, MS Office, etc.)

Another option allows you to wipe your entire drive, if that's how you want. There's also an archive-and-install option.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 22, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by stony View Post
I am curious about what happens when I upgrade to Leopard. Is it just an OS upgrade or will it basically wipe out my mac and I will have to re-install all of my various apps?
You always have choices when upgrading to a new Mac OS X release...

1. Upgrading (which keeps all your 3rd-party apps intact but updates Apple's apps...it also updates the system components)
2. Archive and Install (keeps a copy of your older OS...and installs a fresh copy of system components instead of simply updated them...this option may require a few apps that use installers to be reinstalled since the installers have likely installed drivers within the system files)
3. Erase and install (this does what you probably don't want to happen...it wipes everything off your drive (or partition) and installs a fresh OS.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 06:27 PM

What apps are known not to work with 10.5? Does anyone have a link to a list? I know it may be early yet, since the release version isn't in too many people's hands yet, but surely someone must have found some apps that didn't work with late pre-release Leopard builds.

I know Firefox requires the 2.0.0.8 update.
I know Apple just released an update for Apple Remote Access 3.

But what else? Does Toast 7 or 8 still work? Popcorn? NeoOffice? Parallels? OmniGraffle and other Omni apps? VLC? Pixelmator? Camnio? How about Adobe pre-CS3 apps (i.e., CS and CS2)?

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I know Firefox requires the 2.0.0.8 update.
No, worked as .7 too.

But what else? Does Toast 7 or 8 still work? Popcorn? NeoOffice? Parallels? OmniGraffle and other Omni apps? VLC? Pixelmator? Camnio? How about Adobe pre-CS3 apps (i.e., CS and CS2)?
Toast 8 works. So does Parallels.

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 10:43 PM

Apparently, some Adobe CS3 apps are having issues... but this was a build or two ago. Who knows if it is fixed at this point or not, or if it was even an issue to begin with.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
Apparently, some Adobe CS3 apps are having issues... but this was a build or two ago. Who knows if it is fixed at this point or not, or if it was even an issue to begin with.
What kind of issues?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
What kind of issues?
These issues I guess (if they are issues at all):
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...-and-cs3-apps/
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

stony  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 11:23 PM

That's good to hear. I have CS2 and Final Cut that I don't want to dissappear or not work.

Any idea on these apps?

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 01:32 AM

Cisco VPN Client v4.9.01 works.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 01:36 AM

That's good to hear. I have CS2 and Final Cut that I don't want to dissappear or not work.

Any idea on these apps?
Haven't tried them but I'll give you a 95% chance that youll have no problem.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 02:02 AM

Check off World of Warcraft. Works as normal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:54 AM

FileMaker Inc. says FMP 9 (not to mention any earlier versions) isn't compatible with Leopard yet. I find that quite amazing - FMI is a subsidiary of Apple after all.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
FileMaker Inc. says FMP 9 (not to mention any earlier versions) isn't compatible with Leopard yet. I find that quite amazing - FMI is a subsidiary of Apple after all.
Yeah, again, I don't know what they're on about. I use Filemaker 6 just fine. I need to use it daily for my job actually.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 11:52 AM

Hmm, what about FMP7?

OCStingFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
You always have choices when upgrading to a new Mac OS X release...

1. Upgrading (which keeps all your 3rd-party apps intact but updates Apple's apps...it also updates the system components)
2. Archive and Install (keeps a copy of your older OS...and installs a fresh copy of system components instead of simply updated them...this option may require a few apps that use installers to be reinstalled since the installers have likely installed drivers within the system files)
3. Erase and install (this does what you probably don't want to happen...it wipes everything off your drive (or partition) and installs a fresh OS.
Thanks, but it was not clear what Option #2 (Archive and Install) does with third-party applications that were installed. I'm guessing they remain in place and active (with some exceptions as you stated). So by default third party apps are not "archived" or set aside for re-installation?

I have a Macbook running Tiger and I plan to install Leopard. Over the course of the last year, I've installed many apps and system pref panes and widgets etc. to try things out, but I would really like to do the following in order to have the "cleanest" Leopard install without starting totally from scratch:

1) Save my user data, mail settings, network settings

2) Erase/archive all third-party apps etc. so that I can reinstall them more selectively this time.

By the way, Time Machine sounds great for recovering files, but is there any easy way to create "Restore Points" in OS X? I suppose scheduling Super Duper to run daily and incrementally would be one way to achieve this, but that would only establish a single restore point (latest).
---
MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz (2GB RAM), iMac G3 DVse 400Mhz
(previously: Mac IIsi, Powerbook 520, Performa 6300)

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 01:22 PM

Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS3, Unison, Transmit, Carbon Copy Cloner, Colloquy, Firefox, Parallels, EyeTV, Toast Ti 8.01, Adium = all good
( Last edited by Kar98; Oct 26, 2007 at 06:50 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:08 PM

Pith Helmet? Flip4Mac? Perian? mkConsole?

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Flip4Mac? Perian?
Well, I can still watch the bangbus wmv videos. So either Flip4Mac or Perian, or both, are still working

(sorry, was the only site that I know uses .wmv)

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 08:44 PM

Fink is NOT broken for new installs. Whoo hoo!

Fink just updated their page with some info regarding Leopard. For the uninitiated, download their tar.gz file from their site, gunzip it, and run the ./bootstrap script in the directory.
( Last edited by ~bash $; Oct 26, 2007 at 11:05 PM. )

~bash $
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 11:53 PM

Tiger Woods 08 messes with the MENU bar -- the right edge is moved over about 30% of the screen. Strange. A lot of menu things are running however, so I'm not sure who's the culprit exactly. But no other apps are doing this, just TW08. Regarding functionality, seems fine so far.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 01:07 AM

If you do a clean install of Leopard and try to register Flip4Mac 2.1.3.10, the esellerate engine fails. (Apparently its having a carbon hangover.)

According to the Flip4Mac forums beta version 2.2.0.39 works fine for registering.

Flip4Mac Beta 2.2.0.39

Edit: Registration with the beta works fine.
( Last edited by AppleOptionFour; Oct 27, 2007 at 01:16 AM. )

Richard Richard
Oct 27, 2007, 02:48 AM

appleworks ?
mac 4 evaah

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 03:44 AM

Hopefully, this won't need a new thread.

How about Apple Applications .... text edit, dictionary, stickies, QT etc. that have been moved from the root Applications folder. I remember this being a problem with many of my point upgrades in the past (e.g. I have Stickies in a subfolder of Applications that I call Read N' Write, when I did any upgrades that affected stickies, the upgrade installer did not find Stickies in its new location. Instead, it left the original Stickies alone and place some non-working, icon-less thing called Stickies ... but purely non-functional as an app... back in the root of Applications. In other words, it seemed to dump the upgraded portions of Stickies directly into Applications without regard to the fact that Stickies resided elsewhere now). Another example is Quicktime ... I have made a sub folder in Applications called Media Players where I put QT along with all other media players I have (VLC, etc.) and prior upgrades would create a whole new QT in Applications rather than upgrading my older version of QT.

So my question in simpler form:
Anyone have any problems doing an upgrade install when you have reorganized your applications to non-standard locations?

Macsimized
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 02:35 PM

Just fyi, Toast 7 stopped working - I had updated to 7.1.2 or something like that, but reinstalling from its original disk got it working again.

Macsimized

Cold Warrior
Nov 4, 2007, 02:41 PM

I'm having networking issues with VMWare Fusion, latest release, supposedly Leopard-compatible. Shared networking (NAT) doesn't work, and neither does regular networking over wifi.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2007, 03:23 PM

BACKUP INTERNET CONNECT ON a flash drive or something. You may end up needing it.
Bla Bla Bla

Forum Links
Forum Rules