Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Little unadvertised niceties in Leopard

Little unadvertised niceties in Leopard (Page 2)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
I think it has to do with that Front Row 2 doesn't rely on applications like iTunes and iPhoto anymore. Front Row on Tiger would actually launch iTunes and iPhoto when listing to music or watching a photo slideshow, when they weren't running.

Front Row 2 seems to be a real stand-alone application capable of reading your iTunes/iPhoto libraries on it's own, where Front Row for Tiger was just a simple front-end.
Indeed. And that causes a whole range of problems now. *sigh*

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 11:54 AM

My friend said Mail now supports "idle" with IMAP so if you get a new message it indicated it right away without you having to hit check mail.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
I still find it incredibly bizarre that they haven't come up with a nicer design than "any code requiring dealing with multiple gui apps goes in Dock.app".
What I would have done would be just to put a "View Backup" menu item in one of the menus in each app that supported Time Machine. Otherwise, how am I supposed to know a particular app supports TM? By trying it in every app? I had no idea Mail or Address Book even supported TM until I read about it in the forums.

But this is off-topic. This thread is for little niceties in Leopard, not for complaining about stuff.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
And that causes a whole range of problems now. *sigh*
Not really.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What I would have done would be just to put a "View Backup" menu item in one of the menus in each app that supported Time Machine. Otherwise, how am I supposed to know a particular app supports TM? By trying it in every app? I had no idea Mail or Address Book even supported TM until I read about it in the forums.

But this is off-topic. This thread is for little niceties in Leopard, not for complaining about stuff.
Off-topic maybe, but I agree. There's no telling what applications work with Time Machine which is pretty annoying.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
No, as far as I understand it, it applied to delivering new functionality to products already paid for. This technically requires them to shift all profits made from that product into the new quarter in which delivery of the product was completetd.
So how can software updates be made then? You must be misunderstanding something because Apple adds features and functionality for free with every 10.4.x update.

Either that or we don't agree what a 'feature' is.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
No idea - IANAL.

I just remember Sarbanes-Oxley being the stated reason for the $5 charge for the AirPort update.
The reason they can give you free substansial updates to the iPhone is because they account for them via a subscription model.

Also, I never bought the whole Sarbanes-Oxley crap. If they can't add new features, why did they add support for UVC compliant webcams to 10.4.9, an update that was rolled out AFTER the whole airport update thing?

The update was $2, not $5 though.
Linkinus is king.

Thraxes
Oct 28, 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, drivers for UVC compliant Webcams are not subject to license fees...

802.11n capability IS something that has to be licensed. Paying for THAT license is where the SOA comes in.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thraxes View Post
Well, drivers for UVC compliant Webcams are not subject to license fees...

802.11n capability IS something that has to be licensed. Paying for THAT license is where the SOA comes in.
That makes sense, yes. Thanks for the explainantion. It wouldn't make any sense Apple couldn't add their own features without making people pay extra.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cold Warrior
Oct 28, 2007, 03:15 PM

Image Capture now works with my Brother MFC-7820N. I plugged it in, opened Image Capture, and it was sitting there ready for me to conveniently adjust scan settings and then scan.

Worked beautifully! I didn't see this specifically advertised or, if it was, not pointedly.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
That makes sense, yes. Thanks for the explainantion. It wouldn't make any sense Apple couldn't add their own features without making people pay extra.

V
I've been told the reason for the law is to keep companies from releasing half-complete products too early in order to prop up sales for a particular quarter.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 03:45 PM

Am I seeing things or does Airdisks actually spin down now?!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 04:28 PM

If you right-click a folder's window title in the Finder or a document title in a Cocoa app, it now does the same thing as command-clicking it.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 05:37 PM

Quartz Composer has received a major update. This optional install (dev tools) is one of the most fun apps I've ever used and it really highlights the under-the-hood tech.

In addition to screensavers and iTunes visualizers, in 10.5 you can use it to create your own effects for Photo Booth and iChat.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
I think it has to do with that Front Row 2 doesn't rely on applications like iTunes and iPhoto anymore. Front Row on Tiger would actually launch iTunes and iPhoto when listing to music or watching a photo slideshow, when they weren't running.

Front Row 2 seems to be a real stand-alone application capable of reading your iTunes/iPhoto libraries on it's own, where Front Row for Tiger was just a simple front-end.
That makes sense. I really like it. I do miss the way the desktop would zoom in and out when starting or exiting Front Row though. Losing that is worth it for the speed increase, so no big deal.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 28, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Quartz Composer has received a major update. This optional install (dev tools) is one of the most fun apps I've ever used and it really highlights the under-the-hood tech.

In addition to screensavers and iTunes visualizers, in 10.5 you can use it to create your own effects for Photo Booth and iChat.
On that note, there's also two screensavers that were in Leopard builds and were not included by default in the released version of Leopard. They're found in the dev tools under Quartz Compositions and are called 'Retro' and 'Security'...I'm currently using 'Security' to scare off any burglars that may want to steal my computer.

Macrat
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 08:25 PM

Finder > Preferences > Advanced > Show warning before changing an extension

The option to turn off that stupid warning alone makes it worth the $130.

Alex Gunter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
On that note, there's also two screensavers that were in Leopard builds and were not included by default in the released version of Leopard. They're found in the dev tools under Quartz Compositions and are called 'Retro' and 'Security'...I'm currently using 'Security' to scare off any burglars that may want to steal my computer.
Could you post the burglar-deterring screensavers?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 12:02 AM

I posted it in another thread:
http://home.no.net/monop/screensavers.zip

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 12:10 AM

iChat theatre and Aperture tip

iChat has an option to share your iPhoto albums as slideshows. Too bad if you are using Aperture right? Not so with the new media browser. Go to File -> Share file in iChat theatre and select Photos under media in the Open dialog. From there you can choose your Aperture projects and albums. Just select all (Cmd-A) or select the photos you want to share.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 12:28 AM

Most of you probably know of these by now, but it was a pretty comprehensive list mirroring my favourite "minor" features:
Originally Posted by macrumors
• Photo Mosaic Screensaver: Choose a photo album from the Desktop & Screen Saver control panel, then click on the 3rd "Display Style" (Mosaic). (ed note: Very cool.)
• iTunes Visualizers (iTunes -> View -> Visualizer): Lathe, Jelly and Stix
• Spotlight can be used as a calculator
• Control Panel -> Speech -> Text to Speech. New Alex Voice in Leopard.
• DVD Player with Chapter Index and Full Screen Controls
• Retro and Security screensavers are included in the Developer Tools

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 01:09 PM

Very small detail, but the Finder sidebar shows the 'shared' computers using correct icons; iMac for iMac, Pro for Pro etc.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Very small detail, but the Finder sidebar shows the 'shared' computers using correct icons; iMac for iMac, Pro for Pro etc.
And beige CRT monitor displaying a blue screen for PCs

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 02:03 PM

I have always used two backup drives. One which is always hooked up to my iMac and receives frequent backups (to protect against hard drive failures), and about once a month, I clone that drive to my smaller (same size as my Internal HD) backup drive and stick that in the fire safe (to protect from theft and fire). How could I do this with Time Machine? I couldn't just clone the main backup drive anymore, as it will be constantly getting more and more full until it exceeds the size of the littler drive. Could I plug in the second drive and just have it start it's own Time Machine backup?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 29, 2007, 02:07 PM

One thing I hadn't read about that I just discovered:
Mail will automatically set up a Gmail account (idk about other providers, but I wouldn't be surprised). No more making sure boxes are click and server ports are entered, just input the name and password and Mail does the rest, except that it defaults to POP.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 02:56 PM

I like how Software Update now has a "Not Now button when telling you updates requiring a reboot are ready to install. SU will download them and, when you are finally ready to install, will do so when the user has logged out and restarts.

mcrider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 04:33 PM

Did anyone notice that the icon for shared windows servers is a monitor with a blue screen of death?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 04:45 PM

RSS feeds in Safari have got a little nicer with a blue dot beside and pale blue background behind new entries. Actually, come to think of it, the dot may not be new but I'm fairly sure the background colour is.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
Did anyone notice that the icon for shared windows servers is a monitor with a blue screen of death?
Scroll up four posts from yours

-Q-
Oct 29, 2007, 04:51 PM

It's a completely little, minor thing, but items in List view are more easily visible as they have alternating colors behind each item.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 05:03 PM

Here's a cool one. The screen capture command (command-shift-4) now includes x-y coordinates along with its reticule. Very cool indeed. For me, anyway.

Edit: I forgot to add that the coordinates are x-y to the monitor the reticule is in. Once you click, they become x-y to the box you are drawing.

And I have no idea if this is a new feature or not (since I just barely got my first dual-monitor setup), but if you do a command-shift-3 screen capture, you get two image files -- one for each screen. Prolly not a new feature, but it's amazing what you discover when you start hitting buttons at random.
( Last edited by markponcelet; Oct 29, 2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added additional details about the reticule.)

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by markponcelet View Post
The screen capture command (command-shift-4) now includes x-y coordinates along with its reticule.
I'm lazy. I've put "capture entire screen and save .jpg to desktop" to F13, and "capture selection and save .jpg to desktop to shift F13.

frankiedp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
It's a completely little, minor thing, but items in List view are more easily visible as they have alternating colors behind each item.

Yeah, I noticed that also. I like it. I found a way to do the same thing to Mail 2 (Hawk Wings � Blog Archive � Hacking Mail.app’s interface) and I'll add it into Mail 3 once I install the Developer tools .

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 06:54 PM

This is not just a little nicety, it's a huge one...for developers anyway, or indeed anyone who regularly compares text files. The scroll wheel now works properly in FileMerge.app, ie left/right AND up/down.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 11:39 PM

Sorry if this has been said, but if you hold down option while choosing the Apple menu, you'll see that "About this Mac" turns into "System Profiler..."

Nice!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Sorry if this has been said, but if you hold down option while choosing the Apple menu, you'll see that "About this Mac" turns into "System Profiler..."

Nice!
Excellent!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 01:13 AM

Okay, here's a really cool one I just discovered by reading Siracusa's article:

If you hold down the Option key and click the '+' button in a Finder/Spotlight search, and look what happens!

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 02:14 AM

Option clicking in Leopard seems to be enhanced overall. Option-click the quickview button in finder to get fullscreen slideshows, pic views and video playback is pretty handy - certainly faster then launching a video file in quicktime, then going fullscreen.

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2007, 03:05 AM

Nice eye-candy: when you rotate an image in Preview you actually see the rotating motion.
Unbelievably useless and really nice to look at!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 03:28 AM

Haha. CoreAnimation to the rescue!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Option clicking in Leopard seems to be enhanced overall. Option-click the quickview button in finder to get fullscreen slideshows, pic views and video playback is pretty handy - certainly faster then launching a video file in quicktime, then going fullscreen.
Too bad it doesn't work with option-space though.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 03:32 AM

That rotate animation rocks indeed. Only a shame it doesn't do it in slow motion with shift held down - THAT would be quite a watch .

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 03:42 AM

Quicklook can display Quartz Composer files! With mouse input! That's so awesome!

Preview and Textedit both have the new Safari-style find-in-text. Really useful.

Also, go to the World Clock widget in dashboard, and change time zones. Really neat effect!
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Too bad it doesn't work with option-space though.
It does work with option-cmd-y, though. It's a little tricky to do with one hand, but certainly not impossible. Option-space WOULD be awesome.

It's too bad the name of the quicklook option from the file menu changes based on the filename that is selected, or it would be a snap to make a new keyboard shortcut for it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Great to know. Thanks!

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 05:21 AM

In the Finder, command-option-A now means Deselect All.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It does work with option-cmd-y, though. It's a little tricky to do with one hand, but certainly not impossible. Option-space WOULD be awesome.
Works with option-space on mine
But only in search results.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Works with option-space on mine
But only in search results.
Huh, you're right. That is weird.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 01:34 PM

Screen-capture (command-shift-4) now is improved...

The "crosshairs" seems slightly touched up graphically, and they give you coordinates (how many pixels over, how many pixels up) as you take shots... this really is a nice little feature thrown in
yep.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 08:44 PM

If you right-click user accounts in the Accounts preferences you get an Advanced Options… menu where you can edit your short name and set where the home directory is located among other things.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 09:08 PM

So that's where NetInfo Manager went.

Forum Links
Forum Rules