Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Video Card upgrade question

Mac Pro Video Card upgrade question
jamesfabin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2008, 02:51 PM

I have one of the original Intel Mac Pros (Dual dual-core 2.6 GHz) with the old 7300 video card. This machine isn't used for much (I've upgraded to a better Mac Pro for my video editing), but I'd like to use this for playing Spore. The graphic card needs updating to keep up with the graphics of the game. What are some good recommendations? The goal is to improve the system for use with the game to make the screen updates more fluid - less jerky. I'm seen positive post about the upcoming ATI card (I believe it's the 3870) and considering it. Any feedback, recommendations, warnings?

Thanks!
James

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 05:22 PM

Your Mac Pro can't keep up with it? I play it on a Mac mini just fine.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 06:56 PM

The Radeon 3870 was released a little while ago. So far the only complaints I have read about have been for noisy fans. The people RMAed them, though, and the new ones are better, they say. As a Mac Pro user with a 7300, I'll likely buy one soon.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2008, 09:54 PM

The 8800GT is the better card for gaming. I'd only choose the 3870 if you use Aperture/Motion because Apple has performance issues with the 8800GT there.

jamesfabin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Your Mac Pro can't keep up with it? I play it on a Mac mini just fine.
I think the issue is running it at higher resolutions with the old video card. If I lower the resolution down things improve, but I'd rather run it at a higher resolution (at least what the game supports) with smoother video.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The 8800GT is the better card for gaming. I'd only choose the 3870 if you use Aperture/Motion because Apple has performance issues with the 8800GT there.
True, but you may want to cite a test that uses Apple hardware and drivers. Might be more relevant here.*

http://www.barefeats.com/harper17.html

*I know, I know... more people are booting to Windows to play games, but this is still a Mac board. Many here (myself included, and the OP I would imagine) play games on the Mac side, making Mac drivers more relevant.
( Last edited by TimmyDee51; Sep 10, 2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Quote)
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules