Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Day One 2 ships on Mac, iOS with support for ten journals

Day One 2 ships on Mac, iOS with support for ten journals
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 5, 2016, 09:36 AM

Prominent journaling app Day One has received a significant upgrade on both Mac and iOS, reaching version 2 on each platform. Named Day One 2, the latest iteration of the app from Bloom Built updates the interface on all versions, with new features including the ability to create up to ten journals with unique colors and names, add up to ten inline photographs into each entry, and a single synchronization option that spans both versions called Day One Sync 2.0.

While Day One Sync 2.0 synchronizes data between devices using its own custom service, much like the first Day One Sync did when it was introduced last year, the second version of the feature also gives options to back up and export data locally or to cloud storage services. The ability to manage entries, such as deleting multiple entries at a time, timeline filters, and timezone support are also included in both versions.

There are some features that appear just on one platform, however, with iOS users gaining a Map View to see where journal entries were made, or where photographs were taken. The Mac edition gets its own unique feature, allowing for entries to be browed through via the inserted photographs.

Day One 2 is being offered as a separate app to the original, priced at $10 and $40 on iOS and Mac respectively, but Bloom Built is offering both at half price for a limited time. Existing users of the original app will have to rebuy if they want to get the new features, but the renamed Day One Classic will "continue to be maintained as needed" and will be compatible with Day One 2 when using Day One Sync, according to the developer.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 5, 2016 at 09:44 AM. )

daqman
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2016, 10:13 AM

This seems to be a paid update which surprised me but I paid the $19.99 and "updated" now I have two copies of Day One. Running the new version the interface is different and more in tune with the El Capitan vibe. Looking at the preferences there is no longer an option for iCloud sync. It seems that iCloud has been dropped as a sync option and there is only their own proprietary sync service. I don't like this at all since I use my Journal for personal thoughts and ideas. It's bad enough having that information in iCloud but having it in the hands of a third party who I haven't got a clue what their security is like seems worse.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 5, 2016, 11:09 AM

Hm, these are interesting observations. We'll ask the developer about them.

Spudboy2004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2016, 12:19 PM

Don't put anything in One Day that you don't want the whole world to see. Other then that great app

daqman
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2016, 01:15 PM

Spudboy2004 : I agree with that for this version. My issue was that Day One was one of the few combinations of iOS and OSX Apps that was aimed to being a journal that I COULD put things in that I didn't want the whole world to see. Versions 1.x had an option to sync via my own server and iCloud. I was already nervous about iCloud sync but used the rationale that the chance of someone breaching iCloud then figuring out what to do with the Day One files is small. I would have preferred a point-to-point sync on the LAN or bluetooth to one via a third party server.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2016, 01:25 PM

daqman: you can, if you choose, request a refund from the App Store if you find the new version doesn't meet your needs. I'm disappointed to hear of the dropping of iCloud sync (we've seen a whole bunch of apps lately that are just now *adding* iCloud sync) and the loss of alternative sync options.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

daqman
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2016, 03:50 PM

Charles Martin: I did ask Apple for a refund. I'll keep on using the last 1.x version in the hope that the developers change their minds. It's sad because otherwise the updated App has some nice features.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2016, 10:58 PM

Well, reading the reviews tells me to stick with the first version, and sinc I just bought the Mac OSX version not two months ago (Christmas time), I'm definitely not plunking down $5 and $20 even at half price. Unbelievable, no iCloud or Dropbox sync!
--
Stuke

hayesk
Feb 6, 2016, 12:35 PM

I wouldn't count in iCloud data being encrypted either. It's best to contact the vendor and ask for more transparency in how they store the sync data. It's quite possible it's more secure than iCloud.

I can understand why they switched to their own service. Sync is very difficult, and it's more difficult when the app developer is not in control over the the sync hosting. And if there's a problem with iCloud, the customers come to the app developer for support, not to Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules