Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Noise Reduction Kit

Noise Reduction Kit
warnergt
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 09:51 AM

I've been reading stories on a "Noise
Reduction Kit" for G4 MDD machines.
I have a new dual-1.25G machine which
has a really loud fan. How and where
do I get one of these kits?

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 10:28 AM

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2003, 10:38 AM

I don't think the new DP 1.25Ghz or any FW800 PowerMac are included in this program.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 11:03 AM

True, the new FW800 1.25's do not qualify though I can't imagine a box any noisier than
my FW800 dual 1.25. The eligible boxes must be mind bending because my box is more than a distraction.

warnergt  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 01:19 PM

That link above:
http://depot.info.apple.com/?program=acoustic
doesn't say anything about FW800's not qualifying.
It simply says you need a Mirrored Drive Door (MDD) Mac.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2003, 01:25 PM

Hmm, I have a Dual 1.25 FW800 and I am very happy with the lack of noise it makes. The only time it's loud is when it boots up. Once it gets into OS X, it's nice and quiet.

If I turn on my PC next to my mac, it's more than triple the noise than the mac. So for me, I thank god to the quietness that is my mac.

I guess everyone has their own opinions as to what is noisy and what is not. However, with my PC on, I can barely hear my TV. I can also hear the computer out in the living room. With just the Mac turned on, I hear just a whisper.

Originally posted by Orion27:
True, the new FW800 1.25's do not qualify though I can't imagine a box any noisier than
my FW800 dual 1.25. The eligible boxes must be mind bending because my box is more than a distraction.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 02:46 PM

apple page says my computer " does not need
to participate in the exchange program". Whisper quiet? I don't think so. Sounds like the
din of an industrial vacuum, albeit a distance away.The box is at my feet under the table and with the tv or radio on it is still a dominant presense. Whisper quiet, no!

Phil Quinney
Apr 9, 2003, 07:09 AM

Isn't there a program running at the moment for the FW 800 machines that offers a replacement of the 120mm fan only - so that they get the same Papst fan as the MDD owners are getting? Or does this promotion only apply to the 1.42 machines?

Phil.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 08:36 AM

I'm unaware of any program for the FW800
PM Dual 1.25 MDD Macs. I've thought from the
very beginning I was hyper-aware of the box's presense. Listen, I'm not whiner and I'll live with it. Hey, my new 20'' display has a dead pixel. Whisper quiet is just a joke though. Seriously, I'll just put it in a cabinette. I think
I'll pick up a mike at radio shack and make a
.wav file and pass it along..

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2003, 08:29 PM

a PMac is not designed to be a cube, and never will be if you desire increases in processor speeds.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
The eligible boxes must be mind bending because my box is more than a distraction.
I tend to think of my dual gig MDD noise more as "soul piercing" than "mind bending." But they both definitely fit.

keywest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 08:10 PM

I got my dual 867 about 2 months ago and find it much quieter than I was expecting. Same as posted above, v. noisy on startup, then purrs when smoothly running. Running 9 it's much louder, unbearable.

I have the noise reduction kit sitting in the corner for a rainy day. I'll put it in someday, but for now, no big whoop.

Alternately, I read somewhere online that the writer considered his MDD the sound of power. No one complains about the sound of a Shelby or a Harley. Noise equals power, and the whirring fans cooling the power of his dual processors fell into the fine tradition of American power, raw and noisy.
PowerBook 185c, iBook Clamshell, iBook 500, Power Mac G4 Dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules